Hollywood characters - full list (1 Viewer)

great list!

wanted to add a couple things:
Harold Pheasant is Edward R. Pressman who produced Heart Beat abt Kerouac (The Heart's Song in Hollywood)
Lance Edwards is Fred Roos, Coppola's right hand man

Not to make this thread go off course, but does anyone know who the actor is in "The Captain is Out to Lunch..."? I'd like to believe it was Dennis Hopper. It's been bugging me for a while.

I think Buk in the '40s had a strange tendency to fixate on his publishers (target publishers to whom he sent all of his work).
He wrote much and obsessively to and about Whit Burnett in both stories and in correspondence with him directly.
Same with Careese.
I think while he was living with Jane he may have had this sort of Tully fantasy scenario with Careese in mind, just the way he wrote it in Hollywood.
I think Liza was where he got the meat on the bones to really flesh out that fantasy for the pages of Hollywood.
As for the list I would put this:
Tully -- Careese Crosby via Liza Williams.

I'm pretty sure that the bartender from the bar in Philly (Frank Stallone in Barfly) was named either Tommy or Frank McGilligan in real life. Buk used his name in a few poems.
The other bartender is always Jim, everywhere. Buk liked this guy and always calls him Jim. But in Hollywood he is called Jim anyway.

I personally would have thought 'Lenny' was in fact Chuck Zito - One of Mickey Rourke's best friends, well known Hollywood bodyguard, former leader of the NYC Hell's Angels, and bit-part actor.

When it comes to characters who he didn't know or have a lot of dealings with in real life with he is less concerned with disguising the names (Frances Ford Lopalla, Lido Mamin, Hector Blackford). So if it were Zito the name probably would have been something that more obviously hinted at Zito. Lenny/Leonard makes more sense in this context.

Zuck Cheeto

zuck.jpg

Mondo Porras (guy who built the bike), Mark Boone, Charlie Hunnam (Jax Teller in S.O.A.), Chuck Zito.

Hey Mr. mjp, I hate you knowing Everything, you wise bastard.

Really, my last hope (if there is any) would be to challenge you about the theories of Relativity. Or maybe something weird like the Qabbalah. But I fear, you'd even know everything about these too.

p.s.:
I despise tongue-piercings, but thanks for the offer.

Last edited:
I watched Barfly again yesterday but this time the version in which Barbet Schroeder provides commentary, and I found it interesting that Schroeder says it was his idea to introduce the character of Tully into the movie (to provide some tension, I think . I found that interesting on one level because I have always felt that the subplot of Tully and the detective was the weakest part of the whole film--weak almost to the point of ruining the integrity of the film because it strained credulity to such a degree. In any case, I do wonder at what point in the process Schroeder suggested the introduction of this subplot and whether that might have a bearing on the discussion of whether Tully represents Liza or some composite figure or someone else entirely. I suspect that if this subplot was tacked on, then Bukowski may very easily have felt at liberty to call upon the Liza that was from a totally different part of his life in order to provide the subplot for which Schroeder was looking.

I'll have to rewatch that part of the film to get Schroeder's exact words about his hand in the Tully/detective subplot.

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest that perhaps Nadine was Nico of Velvet Underground fame.
Seems unlikely, doesn't it, since Nadine is describes as being a "high-powered executive."

I think the untangling of who is supposed to be who in Barfly isn't necessarily related to who is who in Hollywood. Mixing them together in this thread just confuses things further.

it's a little bit off-topic here, but I didn't want to start a seperate thread for this question:

When in the novel 'Hollywood' Hank is looking for a house, he is offered one, where Charles Manson had 'operated'. I seem to remember that I've either read in a bio or seen in a documentary, that this had been confirmed to be a fact. But can't recall the source anymore.

Can someone point me, please?

In a documentrary seems unlikely to me. Could be in a bio I haven't read but I have my doubts.
On the other hand, I take it as a fact what Buk describes in Hollywood.

I don't recall seeing anything about that, but I'd take that sort of information with a grain of salt. I lived in Topanga Canyon for 6 or 7 years, and it seemed like everyone up there "knew" a spot where the Manson family lived, but they were all different places. If everyone was right, they must lived in about 50 different houses.

Great place Topanga, but I can see why Bukowski didn't want to live there. It would have taken him two hours to drive to the nearest racetrack. It's a half hour drive just to get to Ventura blvd. in the valley or PCH on the coast. It's not close to the action like Laurel Canyon.

Ah ok, another myth. It's a well written chapter in the novel, though. Scary images and Lila...

Thanks guys.
Funny thing is, this house would have been a definite NO BUY anyway, even without that added juice. But in the book, the final decision is made just after Sarah mentions Mansion, as if this was the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back