• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Hot Water Music w/painting, more - auction this weekend (1 Viewer)

A nice array of Bukowski and beat material is coming up for auction on Saturday at Potter & Potter in Chicago, including a deluxe edition of Hot Water Music with an original Bukwoski painting, signed books, advance copies, broadsides, and more. Here's a link to the lots online:

http://auctions.bidsquare.com/view-auctions/individual-lots/?key=bukowski

There are also Henry Miller, R. Crumb, and other beat-related items in the sale.

Gabe Fajuri
President
Potter & Potter Auctions
www.potterauctions.com

2600094_0.jpg

2600099_0.jpg

I have a dossier that indicates that 100 percent of sales from this auction will go to North Korean ICBM development. IM me with additional questions and (Not Fake News) facts...

170109100009-north-korea-missile-launch-threat-trump-hancocks-lok-00002012-large-169.jpg

20% "buyer's premium" plus some other percentage as a "convenience fee" if you want to pay with a credit card. I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe 2.5%? Not a huge amount, but come on, man.

That's a new one, a credit card tax. I haven't seen it at any other auction house before. Both of those fees are buried in the terms when you sign up, they aren't listed on the site.

$922 for the ARC of Women was certainly high.

But I thought the poster for the German reading was a steal, and $1599 for a book with a painting was also a steal (even if none of the paintings were great). $2214 and $2460 for the other books with paintings weren't particularly high prices. They were right about where they should be, seems to me.

You could argue that $1230 for the 1963 scribble is high, but I'm not sure it is when you consider how few early Bukowski art works (scribbles or not) come on to the market.

I thought the poster was very cool but didn't bid because my better half said "we have enough Bukowski on the walls" even though we only have three pieces and a large space. I did bid on the Women ARC and I thought my bid was about right even with the 25% fee but I did not win.

What is the deal with these Saturday auctions? I'd much rather bid on my employer's time versus my own personal time.

That particular seller specializes in attempting to sell Bukowski items in mediocre condition for insane prices. I honestly don't see how he sells anything for even close to his asking prices. I wouldn't use his prices as a yardstick for current values.

Yeah, buddy, I was being sarcastic. I should've made that clear. Really frustrating to see this stuff get picked up and then get savagely inflated. I've never bought from him/her but thanks for the tip on condition. Seems like there are only a handful of sellers I trust with simple basic description of condition.

Must admit, many of the prices in the market I don't get them any more.

Big 922.50 [what sick figures are these anyway?] for a simply signed book and 2,214.- for a mediocre painting in a first edition that isn't numbered or lettered ..... and at the same time only 1,230.- for a drawing from 1963, not to mention that if said drawing had been "only a part" of one 'it catches'-book (where it may have been tipped-in in fomer times) it would have brought even less, LESS!!

Of course, I also don't understand the prize for this most rare poster from the Germany-reading at all. I've seen the LP of the reading go for over 100.- and it isn't too rare, but I've never seen that poster for sale ANYWHERE at all, Ever, not even in Germany.

And then - in the PBA-auction just 2 weeks ago, the infamous 'Big White Book' including slipcase and signed print in rice-paper only made 275.- !!
Yes, sure, I am biased concerning Montfort-items, but still: this prize is sick.

Last edited:
Of course, I also don't understand the prize for this most rare poster from the Germany-reading at all. I've seen the LP of the reading go for over 100.- and it isn't too rare, but I've never seen that poster for sale ANYWHERE at all, Ever, not even in Germany.

I went low on that because I figured it was common. I made small bids on too many things instead of the painting. I believe that painting was included in a BSP book as well. Martinelli letters? It wasn't a serigraph -- just a printed page. Plus, did you see the dimensions on that bad boy?

However, I do think whoever bought it would have gone up to $3000.00 or more.

I was the $275 bid on that book. It was the only thing I bid on and was really surprised I got it for that.
Even with the extra PBA bullshit add-ons, it was a good deal.

I also don't understand the prize for this most rare poster from the Germany-reading at all.
That was the only item that made me mad that I'd missed the auction. Who the hell schedules an auction at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning? That's what time it was here in California, anyway.

I've never seen a copy for sale either. That would have been mine (or I would have jacked up the price for the potential winner), because I would have bid a lot more than $184.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back