• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

I hate eBay more every day... (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
They have now banned payment by checks and money orders. As a seller, that gives you the following options:

Paypal (Owned by eBay)
ProPay (seriously inferior service)
Direct Credit card payments
Cash on Delivery (meaning that you drive out there and pick it up

What is the problem with checks, you ask? Ebay only gets paid once with checks. They do not get to double dip with Paypal.

I know that Paypal makes it easier, but by eBay not allowing me, as a seller to accept a check, they are violating the Sherman Antitrust Act. They have to know this and they are and are banking on the government not calling them on it (that did not work so well for Bill Gates). Specifically, this is a monopoly (ebay) forcing you as a consumer to use the company that they own (Paypal) by making it difficult they are stifling competition in a way that seems to violate antitrust laws. ProPay is not a good option and eBay makes it tough to accept payment through them. Checks are easy. Same with Money orders. There is no security reason to not allow the receipt of checks as all smart sellers wait until the check clears.

As a buyer, I almost always use Paypal. Attention to those buyers that do not have Paypal. Sign up for it, as without it, Ebay will be useless to you.

This all takes effect in early January 2009.

It would not annoy me so much if eBay did not keep jacking up fees as they put their competition out of business. If they put Craig's List out of business, or buy Etsy, expect another massive fee hike because they can. They fuck their sellers at every chance and we keep coming back.

Bill

ebay should allow google checkout. the fact that they don't is a serious clue that they don't take antitrust legislation seriously.

google checkout was banned.

It is funny looking around at the ebay defenders in the forum. They had advice a year ago for people complaining about the ebay/paypal policies. They said that ebay allows checks and money orders, so the smart seller should take checks and money orders and stop complaining about not being able to use Google. I wonder how they feel now, knowing that they were wrong.

Bill

did they have a reason for banning google checkout? the most efficient company in the world at handling large amounts of data wasn't good enough to process payments over their site?

i'm curious if they hit GC up for an enormous cut of their cut for allowing them to operate on eBay, and then banned GC when google didn't bite.

lesson to learn?

Start with a nice idea, good conditions and easy handling. Build a monopoly this way. Then change the rules and do whatever you want screwing people.

(Machiavelli)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back