If you could sum up Bukowski in one word what would it be? (1 Viewer)

Well, it looks like all the single words are taken. How about one comic panel?

View attachment 1959

Attachments

• Comic.jpg
    Comic.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 370
I do not think of Bukowski as a vagabond.
That is a misconception.
I am almost sure that he always had a key, a comb and a toothbrush.
Almost always...

I do not think of Bukowski as a vagabond.
That is a misconception.
I am almost sure that he always had a key, a comb and a toothbrush.
Almost always...
Black Swan, I must disagree with you when you say that Charles Bukowski being a vagabond is a misconception.
Merriam Webster defines vagabond as: 1 : moving from place to place without a fixed home : wandering
2 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a wanderer b : leading an unsettled, irresponsible, or disreputable life.
Having a set of keys does not disqualify someone from being a vagabond. These keys perhaps they could be to his automobile (which would be used to travel from place to place)? Or could they be keys to his room, his many many rooms that he lived in for the majority of his life. I use the word vagabond because it implies a life of movement. For the most part Charles Bukowski lived a life of movement and I gather this thought from the writing that he has put out. Lastly, having a comb or a toothbrush certainly does not disqualify someone from being a vagabond. Personal hygiene has nothing to do with the frequency in which someone moves residency. Almost always does someone have a comb or a toothbrush...be it someone who lives a home for 40 years, a homeless person, a person living out of their suitcase in countless hotel rooms, etc.

Some are just too sensitive, Swan. Wouldn't affix the title vagabond to Bukowski, either. Hell, if one wanted to split hairs (in your case feathers:)), based on Merriam most all of us have had a bit of the vagabond in us at one time or another. But a summation of Buk, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back