If you were to do a Bukowski Tour in LA... (1 Viewer)

What would you include. There are a couple obvious onces but I'm thinking the not so obvious ones would be a lot of fun.

De Longpre
Grave
Crabby Joe's downtown
Frolic Room (this one bothers me cause it's a total hipster joint now)
Seven G's bar if it's still visible. I can't fnid any info on this, even though from the picture I feel like I know where it is.

What else. That's my short stoned list. What else would be interesting to see on a bus tour if you were a Bukowski fan.

thanks
-jeremy

Never been to LA...but if you want to do a "Buk Tour" of the gritty New England mill town I grew up in, I can be your informed guide to all the hell-holes that remain.

p.s. no need to worry about hipster joints, they ain't none.

There are a lot of locations in the timeline.

I had a map project started too, but kind of forgot about it until I read this. Maybe there's a way to tie the locations in the timeline to the map...

It's interesting to map out where he lived in Los Angeles, you can see what a small area it was.

[removed - see the map link in the site navigation] (that page is buggy an unfinished, but you can see where it's headed.)

Cool map, mjp! A great map to have for any Buk nut visiting L.A. Yeah, it's a small area indeed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a map project started too, but kind of forgot about it until I read this. Maybe there's a way to tie the locations in the timeline to the map...
So I'm not sure if you guys are aware of the bus tour happening in Aug. Check out esotouric.com

Mjp, do you mind if I share your map with these people? It seems like they're thoroughly interested in actually giving a good tour. I've been having conversations with the organizers. I went on a bus tour a few months back and it sucked, so when I heard about this, I took to probing a bit. I definitely plan on going...

Also another secret...I might be moving back to downtown Los Angeles.

thanks

151 S Oxford Ave. #24, Los Angeles CA 90004

1973, I forgot about this or I don't know Bukowski lived here. I just think I don't know it. Does he talk about it in Women?

151 S Oxford Ave. #24, Los Angeles CA 90004

1973, I forgot about this or I don't know Bukowski lived here. I just think I don't know it. Does he talk about it in Women?
He was only at that address for a few months after a failed attempt to live with Linda King in her house.

Musso & Frank,s Bar and Grill. However, friend of mine lives just few blocks from it and he said -the last time he was there- it was overpriced and waiters were rude. I suppose, we would be going for other reasons?

Put the map to use on Thursday. Visited De Longpre and a few other places within a few minutes of there.

Also this place.

Houseofhorrors.jpg

... the House of Horrors. Looks so peaceful huh?

Ha, I just read Ham On Rye today for the umpteenth time. Started at 9am and was done by 5:30pm with many breaks in-between. Picked it off the shelf, because I'm thinking of a Buk book to give as a bday gift to a friend on Tues. Anyway, thought I'd read a couple chapters to jog the memory, but ended up reading it all over again. So, thanks Rob, a very nice and fitting picture to end my Buk reading day and another Lakers victory!

What would you include. There are a couple obvious onces but I'm thinking the not so obvious ones would be a lot of fun.
De Longpre
Grave
Crabby Joe's downtown
Frolic Room (this one bothers me cause it's a total hipster joint now)
Seven G's bar if it's still visible.
You could also add the good ol'e troubador, to see a place he gave a reading at, to that list. I think I've been going to the troubador for about 13-14 years now, and it's always been a nice lil' place to see a band, and they have a couple really cool bars inside.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Troubadour.jpg
    Troubadour.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 556
Thank you. I've seen Amanda Palmer there a couple of times. Nice to know about this connection. I am quite fond of the bars inside and of Dan Tana's next door!

1623 N Mariposa Ave. #303

1623NMariposaAve303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back