I'm a newb here... So apologies in advance! (1 Viewer)

LickTheStar

Sad Flower in the Sand
Well I thought I'd jump in and introduce myself. I first want to say what an amazing resource this website is. I'm really happy to see the artwork, as I haven't seen much of Bukowski's artwork and I like it!

Secondly, I'm glad to have found some kindred spirits here. I've worked at a national book store chain for about a year and a half and only twice have I seen someone buying a Bukowski book. Though I have found a couple Bukowski fans at my job... But even then, I wonder why more people don't know who he is, especially with what a prolific writer he was (was it 1/10 poems of his that eventually made publication in BSP books?).

I've involved myself in a mission to own a copy of all of Buk's books in BSP editions, which I imagine is going to be an expensive and lifelong mission, at least with some of the older ones... Especially Flower, Fist, and Bestial Wail... But I've gotta have something to look forward to.

I'd also like to let whomever bought the copy of At Terror Street and Agony Way from The Strand bookstore... I'm coming for you, you SOB. I finally scraped the money together for it and it was gone! GONE! YOU SUCK!

Anyhow, my other favorite authors are John Fante, Hunter Thompson, Hubert Selby, Gloria Naylor, and Toni Morrison. I'm glad to be here and I'll try to post quite a bit.

But before I end here... One quick question: How many issues of "The Sparrow" were published and how easy are they to come by? Thanks!

I've involved myself in a mission to own a copy of all of Buk's books in BSP editions, which I imagine is going to be an expensive and lifelong mission, at least with some of the older ones... Especially Flower, Fist, and Bestial Wail... But I've gotta have something to look forward to.
Finding all the titles in Black Sparrow editions is relatively easy (but becoming more difficult now that Ecco editions of most titles are flooding the secondary market).

Problem is, once you have them all, then you'll want first editions. Then you'll want hardcover firsts, and special edition firsts, and hardcover firsts with paintings, and the next thing you know you're fucked, and all you wanted to do when you started is read some poems.

But anyway, Black Sparrow didn't publish early chapbooks like Flower, Fist and Bestial Wail, and you will pay dearly for early, early stuff like that.

One quick question: How many issues of "The Sparrow" were published and how easy are they to come by? Thanks!

There were 72 issues of Sparrow, several of which went to second printings. All of them were collected and bound by Black Sparrow Press into six hardcover volumes, 50 of which were signed by each author. If you have to have every issue of Sparrow you might want to look around for the unsigned hardcovers which aren't all that hard to find (check ABE) and can usually be had for somewhere between $50 and $150 (depending on who you buy them from).

Like mjp said, collecting Bukowski is a kind of a sickness where you will always find yourself wanting more and better copies of everything. Plan on spending a considerable amount of money and get yourself a copy of Aaron Krumhansl's bibliography.

"Problem is, once you have them all, then you'll want first editions. Then you'll want hardcover firsts, and special edition firsts, and hardcover firsts with paintings, and the next thing you know you're fucked, and all you wanted to do when you started is read some poems. "

truer words have never been spoken. I had no idea that this was an infectious/contagious diasese. . BEWARE.. some of the Bukophiles on this sight are carriers!!

Finding all the titles in Black Sparrow editions is relatively easy (but becoming more difficult now that Ecco editions of most titles are flooding the secondary market).

Problem is, once you have them all, then you'll want first editions. Then you'll want hardcover firsts, and special edition firsts, and hardcover firsts with paintings, and the next thing you know you're fucked, and all you wanted to do when you started is read some poems.

But anyway, Black Sparrow didn't publish early chapbooks like Flower, Fist and Bestial Wail, and you will pay dearly for early, early stuff like that.

Yeah I've already learned that I want those hardcover firsts... I quickly realized that when one or two of the BSP copies I got were 30th edition papers that I'd want more...

And I didn't realize Flower, Fist, and Bestial Wail wasn't BSP... I guess I just assumed it was because it was listed in the "also by" under the BSP books... Good to know, thanks!

And thanks for the info on The Sparrow, chronic. I saw a couple copies at a rare book show when I lived in MA, but the guy selling them didn't know much about them, nor did he know if he had any more... He just had huge piles of chapbooks, zines, and various other things... I have to wonder if he even knew their value... I'll keep my eyes on ABE for those whenever I have money.

And I didn't realize Flower, Fist, and Bestial Wail wasn't BSP... I guess I just assumed it was because it was listed in the "also by" under the BSP books...
The earlier Black Sparrow books listed chapbooks in "also by," I guess to make Bukowski's list of books look longer (note that Ecco also lists books in "also by" that they do not reprint).

The first full length Black Sparrow Bukowski book was At Terror Street and Agony way. Everything before that is either the Webbs (It Catches My Heart In Its Hands, Crucifix in a Deathhand), or small run chapbook$.

The oldest Black Sparrow title still in print (and the first one issued in what was to become their standard format) is The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back