Importance of DJ to a first edition first printing bukowski? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am a newer fan of Bukowski. I started reading some of his most popular books about a year ago when I had a bit of down time after getting very sick. He has easily become one of my favorite writers.

I am looking to start collecting some of the BSP first editions and I am wondering how important the clear DJ is to a first edition first printing. I have read that people make their own if the book doesn't come with one. I am wondering, is it worth it to buy the book with out the DJ and just make one or wait and buy one that comes with it for a little bit more money?

Thanks!

I would say that it is important, but in some cases, it's pretty tough to tell whether an acetate DJ is original to the book or not. They definitely changed a bit over time. I've tried to make a few and choosing the correct mil thickness and then properly executing the folds isn't as simple as it looks.

I've probably thrown 20 of those crusty old Black Sparrow clear covers in the trash and replaced them. A crappy old scratched up cover doesn't have or add any value, it just makes the book look bad.

There are a dozen elements of the books that determine value, that sheet of plastic (or whatever it is) is not one of them.

Thank you both for your insight. Is there a particular thickness you have found that works best? I was considering buying a roll of some .005 mil plastic and giving it a shot. I am sure there will be a bit of trial and error to get it right.

I've used Dura-Lar 0.007, 0.005 and 0.003 and I prefer the thinner stuff. But 0.005 is close to what Black Sparrow used sometimes (though at other times they used thicker sheets).

Trying to get a "gentle" fold (that is, a round fold, not a sharp crease) to stay in the thicker sheets is nearly impossible.

To me, the clear cover adds zero value, but they are damn important in preserving the book -- definitely with white, but extremely so with black. The original Barfly is a great case in point: That black cover is very hard to find in perfect shape.

I just got a first edition first pressing that was in pretty good shape and I made a cover for it out of Dura-Lar 0.005. It took me a few tries to get it right I did a hard crease for the flaps and have it on there pretty tight but not too snug. I have it resting under some heavy books to see it it will help the shape set in.

One thing I noticed (non-DJ related) is that the print on the cover is slightly crooked which is kind of weird. Does that happen to some of the BSP books? It is defiantly not from wear but from the way it came out of the press? I am not sure.

Does that happen to some of the BSP books?
Those were all bound by hand, so anything is possible. It's unlikely it came out of the press crooked. More likely the cover boards were glued to the paper crooked. I don't know that I've ever seen that on a Bukowski hardcover though (or noticed it anyway).

How crooked? Please post a picture. I do a lot of hand binding and have had them be a bit crooked, but if it is noticeable, it should have never made it out of the bindery...
BIll

Maybe this one was right on the threshold of being acceptable or maybe it got out by accident. The book seems straight and square but the image is a bit off and I am curious what you all think. I am excited to read this book either way.

Untitled-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back