Jeopardy? Really? (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
I was watching Jeopardy tonight and Charles Bukowski was the $2000 answer in the "AMERICAN, LIT" category.

nobody got it. one person guessed Burroughs.

paraphrase: This dipsomaniacal author wrote "Post Office" and the screenplay loosely based on his life, "Barfly."

In lieu of a winkie, I just wrote that. I had no clue what it meant. I thought it might mean "one branded as a poet laureate of skid row," but that would have been too obvious, right?

which finger?

and where is miisssssiissiiguaauua?

Mississauga is in Ontario. One of the world's renouned groundwater experts is from there.

Funny, I know/knew the definition; but have never learned how to say it. Just too dang many thangs going on: dip, dipso, man, maniacal "” yet get the drift...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's outstanding. I love Jeopardy, but can't see it in my market today because of the Inauguration coverage. Not that I'm complaining...

This buk.net member spent the last 8 years being embarrased for his country due to an idiotic, sub-literate president.

BUZZ

Who is number6horse ?

CORRECT !

You must answer in the form of a question

I was so curious about that Jeopardy clue, I ended up joining this forum.
I am but a fingerprint on a Mac keyboard. :-)

Welcome, and that is one of the better reasons to join us. You are in for a wild ride.

I will try to use dispomaniacal in conversations from now on.

It describes most of the forum.

Synonyms: Please add your own...

Boozer, lush, drunk, inebriate, barfly, drinker, sauce hound, wino, alcoholic...
yep, dipsomaniac sounds much better. :)

Mississauga is a suburb of Toronto and, yes, it is named for native people who lived here before white people paved it over.
Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here - hope this will be stimulating, in a Bukowskian kind of way. I also became curious about Bukowski after seeing Sideways.

Have you read much Bukowski? I mean in refrence to the "stimulating in a Bukowski kind of way".
This forum is stimulating in many ways Bukowski ways included. You will enjoy it here, take a look around.

Have you read much Bukowski? ...

I think he just discovered Hank through this Jeopardy-appearence. If so, he wouldn't 've read anything yet.

Do we have any suggestions where to start?
;-))

For one who comes to Buk through such a source, I'd vote for 'POST OFFICE' as a great starter!
Anybody against that reccomendation?

I always thought of it as being stimulating in a vibrating butt-plug kind of way.
sometimes it's just like that, yes. I like it. Sometimes.

I'm aware of that. It was me voting for 'HAM' being his Best novel (on the very first day of that poll) !!!

Only - when people ask me, where to start Bukowski, I don't give a standard-answer.
It's a question of many things:

Is the person a 'reader' or a 'non-reader'?
Is he/she into poetry?
Did he/she hear about Bukowski before? - and What was it they heared?
etc.

Coming to Bukowski through a question (or answer) like "This dipsomaniacal author wrote Post Office", I'd definitely say: Start with that one!

I dunno if bigbri is a 'regular reader' or not. But I DO know, that 'Post Office' is a fine book for both kinds.

It's fun and tragic. You can read it at the bus-station or in the crapper or drinking after a long days work.
It's Bukowski as we love him, without too much clichee (like in some of the short-stories) and without too many things, that need knowledge beforehand.
It's sort of an essence.
And to a starter like bigbri, I'd say: Go for it!

- uh-oh!
I'm starting to write long essays. Time to go to bed, I guess!

Little late to the discussion, I know, but there's a great website called J! Archive which stores all the episodes aired, the exact way the clues appeared on the game board:

January 20th show

Scroll down to "Double Jeopardy" and you'll find the American Lit category and Bukowski at the bottom, just as it was shown. To see the answer, make sure your mouse is in the middle of the clue, and then move the pointer up a bit.

The best place to start should be the short stories: Tales of Ordinary Madness, The Most Beautiful girl in town, South of No North, The Notes...

No worries, james. It would be pronounced that way anyway, so to my mind, you got it right.

Boozer, lush, drunk, inebriate, barfly, drinker, sauce hound, wino, alcoholic...
yep, dipsomaniac sounds much better. :)
Not just that, but paying close attention to how the clues are written (it's the writer in me), I imagine the Jeopardy writers like to introduce words not widely known, or not considered as much when it comes to describing a drunk.

Little late to the discussion, I know, but there's a great website called J! Archive which stores all the episodes aired, the exact way the clues appeared on the game board:

January 20th show

Scroll down to "Double Jeopardy" and you'll find the American Lit category and Bukowski at the bottom, just as it was shown. To see the answer, make sure your mouse is in the middle of the clue, and then move the pointer up a bit.

I think it's interesting that all the questions for American Lit have a reference to Alcohol.

the category should have been titled "Dipsomaniacal American Lit"
But I guess that title may have been a bit too long.:D

from what I remember from that episode, the category was "American, Lit"

lit as in drunk. the comma is important, you see. ;)

now THAT'S alcohol-related !

Ha ha !

(pause)

Get it?

(wind whistling)......

Why are you all slumped over your tables ?
Is this thing on ?

And by ON, I mean the human nervous system !
Am I right, people ?

oh shit....

I feel like a sober cunt for being a recovering dipsomaniacal writer :(

And... I figured out how to pronounce it, I think.

Dips-oh-main-ee-ack-ell.

But, fast, and not all broken up like that.

... Isn't there a book about this?

yes:
Donald W. Goodwin: Alcohol and the Writer
Donald W. Goodwin: Alkohol und Autor

51T4TJX98ML._SS500_.jpg

Also: Tom Dardis, The Thirsty Muse: Alcohol and the American Writer; Thomas B. Gilmore, Equivocal Spirits: Alcoholism and Drinking in Twentieth-Century Literature. And perhaps the best book on the subject, which also includes "drugs": Marcus Boon, The Road of Excess: A History of Writers on Drugs.
Here's a few of the drinkers: Hemingway, O'Neill, Steinbeck, Poe, Faulkner, Sinclair Lewis, E.A. Robinson, Jack London, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Conrad Aiken, Wolfe, Tennessee Williams, Carson McCullers, John Cheever, Truman Capote, Raymond Carver, Robert Lowell, James Agee, Lowry, Simenon, Fitzgerald, Hart Crane, John Berryman, Kerouac, Mailer, Hank....etc. etc.
And the druggies: Burroughs, Corso, Aldous Huxley, Ernst Junger, Coleridge, De Quincey, Foucault, Gottfried Benn, Henri Michaux, Artaud...etc. etc.

I think that it is:

Dips - oh - Man - eye - ack - ell

Is it possible that it's to-mae-toe/tah-mah-toe?

Then again... I suppose it doesn't matter, because if any of us used this word in everyday conversation, I doubt anyone would know what we were talking about anyway ;)

Off Topic: Bill! My broadside came today! (My mail comes very, very late). Thank you very much :). And also thank you for putting in the SA Griffin one as well, very kind of you :)

Lexxi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back