• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

John Fante Hardcover Firsts (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronic

old and in the way
After my little remodel, I find myself short of both money and shelf-space, so I'm selling off my small BSP John Fante collection. Anyone interested in any of these should post here so others know which titles are taken (we can handle the details through PMs). I'm offering them here first at special bukowski.net pricing with free shipping in the US (sorry, but international shipping is so pricey these days that I have to charge for overseas shipping). Anything that doesn't sell here will probably go up on eBay in the next week or two.

West of Rome - #58 of 150 numbered copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. There are no comparable copies up on ABE except a regular trade edition at $150 and a lettered copy at $250. Buknet price: $150

1933 Was A Bad Year - #69 of 150 numbered copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. ABE lists 2 copies... one at $175 and one at $200. Buknet price: $150

The Road to Los Angeles - #81 of 150 numbered copies. Near Fine (w/light sunning to spine) in original acetate jacket. ABE lists 2 copies... both priced at $200. Buknet price: $125

Dreams from Bunker Hill - First Trade Edition. One of 500 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. ABE lists only one at $395 (which is kind of ridiculous). Buknet price: $100

The Wine of Youth - First Trade Edition. One of 500 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. ABE lists one at $195 and one at $200. Buknet price: $100

Wait Until Spring, Bandini - First Trade Edition. One of 500 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. No copies are currently listed on ABE except for a "Printer's Copy" at $600. Buknet price: $100

John Fante / H.L. Mencken: A Personal Correspondence - First Trade Edition. One of 750 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. ABE lists just one copy (of the numbered edition) at $125. Buknet price: $75

I'm tempted to hang on to this one, and if it doesn't sell here I will probably just keep it:
Ask the Dust - First Trade Edition. One of 750 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. Only one copy on ABE at $500. Buknet price: $275

Two books:
Brotherhood of the Grape - (Houghton Mifflin, 1977), This is the true first edition of this title. A fine copy in a fine dustjacket (not price-clipped). Several listings on ABE ranging from a "Fair" copy at $12.50 to an "As New" copy at $95.
and
Full of Life - First BSP trade paperback edition. Very Good+ to Near Fine condition (the spine is a bit yellowed). ABE lists only later printings for this title. Buknet price: $40.00 gets you both.

I have to say I'm tempted. But... I really don't have any money right now. Great deals all around. I'll keep an eye on this, but I'm actually trying to minimize my bookshelf too.

Argh!

Edit:

OK if someone beats me to this timestamp-wise on my edit (9:50 PM), I'll pass. But otherwise, I'll take the Fante\Mencken and Brotherhood\Full of Life combos if you do PayPal!

Hey man: I'll take "Dreams From Bunker Hill," "Wait Until Spring, Bandini, "Brotherhood" and "Full of Life."

As you say, details in a PM, but your prices are more than fair.

LTS, your clock may not correspond to the Buk.net clock (see post times relative to 9:50 Pacific), but the order of our posts makes it clear: The "Brotherhood/Full of Life" combo is yours if you want it. I'm happy with "Dreams" and "Bandini."

For the sake of clarity, here's what's left:

West of Rome - #58 of 150 numbered copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. There are no comparable copies up on ABE except a regular trade edition at $150 and a lettered copy at $250. Buknet price: $150

1933 Was A Bad Year - #69 of 150 numbered copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. ABE lists 2 copies... one at $175 and one at $200. Buknet price: $150

The Road to Los Angeles - #81 of 150 numbered copies. Near Fine (w/light sunning to spine) in original acetate jacket. ABE lists 2 copies... both priced at $200. Buknet price: $125

The Wine of Youth - First Trade Edition. One of 500 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. ABE lists one at $195 and one at $200. Buknet price: $100

Ask the Dust - First Trade Edition. One of 750 hardcover copies. Fine in original acetate jacket. Only one copy on ABE at $500. Buknet price: $275

I would gladly take that Road to Los Angeles off your hands. What a deal! But, like LTS, I have to beg off owing to finances. Even after Stickpin's generous underwriting of so much of the production budget for "Wild Ride", I'm still out of pocket for a shit load of marketing expenses later this month.

Terrific prices, however. They'll be gone in the next hour, I predict.

I'm glad you're both happy with the books and yes, Purple Stickpin just bought the rest, so thank you gents and consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back