• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Sold Krumhansl, Sampler, Lit Scene, BSP biblio, PBA Runfola catalog (2 Viewers)

mjp

Founding member
Odds and ends maybe, but here they be.

Everything starts at a bid of $0.01. Go steal some stuff. I almost listed a letter to the Webbs from 1964 and a 1971 poem manuscript. List a manuscript for a penny? Why not. I might still put them up. I'll let you know here if I do.

A Bukowski Sampler - 1971 Druid Books
Second printing of this, purple cover. The first had an orange cover and slightly larger dimensions. Third printing has a blue cover. There is also a 4th printing from the 80s with a white/cream cover. Collect them all!
Water stain on the front, as you can see in the pictures.

PBA Galleries Runfola auction catalog. 2009, 102 pages, perfect bound
Charles Bukowski & His Circle
The Collection of Ross Runfola

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LIT SCENE volume 1, number 1, 1970
15 page interview with Bukowski, picture and uncollected poem, "the wailing wall"

A descriptive bibliography of the primary publications of Charles Bukowski, Aaron Krumhansl
1999 Black Sparrow Press
Hardcover, limited to 750 copies of this, the trade edition
Slight smudge on the back, see pictures

A Bibliography of the Black Sparrow Press, 1966-1978, Bradford Morrow, Seamus Cooney
1981 Black Sparrow Press, 302 pages
Hardcover, limited to 1500 copies of this, the trade edition

There's no items in the link. It does take you to smognet on Ebay, but it says, "Your search returned 0 items".

Maybe because I have them set to ship to U.S. only. Try these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331467021799
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331467024473
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331467026896
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331467031187
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331467033836

Why U.S. only? Because sending anything anywhere else in the world is expensive and a big pain in the ass. And I don't want to fill out customs forms and argue about shipping cost to send something like that BSP bibliography somewhere. I'd rather throw it in the recycling bin.

eBay doesn't let you charge actual shipping costs on books. They have decided that a "collectible, antiquarian" book only costs $6 to ship and they won't let you charge more.

I can make exceptions outside of eBay for friends of the forum, but I'm just being honest when I say I hate sending things to anywhere but the U.S. Not because I'm a patriot or a xenophobe, just too many bad experiences and lost time and money.

It's almost mind-boggling how out of touch ebay is on some issues. I've only ever bought from ebay; never sold and it seems that since about some 5-8 years ago, policies have been skewed toward buyers, not sellers.

Yes, it is skewed toward buyers, probably out of necessity, dealing with so many shady sellers.

But I don't really understand how it benefits eBay to limit shipping costs on certain classes of items. That's a head-scratcher. I would rather charge a priority mail rate and send faster, but I guess they don't see it that way.

I've read somewhere on the Internet, sometime during the past 5 years or so (sorry to be so specific), that there were sellers charging ridiculous prices for shipping to recoup what they felt they were losing by being unable to sell items for what they thought they were worth. The solution from ebay was to standardize shipping rates for certain items. As far as I know, a cheap HC book and a rare, valuable HC book, which typically would need both insurance and expedited shipping (at least to avoid media mail inspection and possible damage), can only be shipped for the same max rate of a few dollars, as you posted.

I can make exceptions outside of eBay for friends of the forum, but I'm just being honest when I say I hate sending things to anywhere but the U.S. Not because I'm a patriot or a xenophobe, just too many bad experiences and lost time and money.

I understand! It's not worth the trouble, at least not when you sell through Ebay with their fixed shipping rates.
Sometimes their shipping rates for Europe are way too expensive and I understand from this thread that their shipping prices can be way too low too.

sellers used to list books at $1 with $20 shipping, since ebay didn't charge seller fees on shipping. they do now, so that loophole would have closed without the shipping cap. in general, i think it's to entice buyers by keeping shipping low across the board. i actually don't mind international shipping, since the postage meter at work generates a customs label automatically, and you can actually charge actual shipping fees rather than getting fleeced. and the $6 max is new - it was $4 for a really long time, even when the USPS would raise rates every year. thing is, the $6 is really around $4.75 after ebay seller fees and paypal fees. media mail is around $3.75 for a one-pound book, so they really leave you almost no wiggle room, especially if you pay for your packing materials.

edit: i originally said "i actually don't mind online shipping," when i meant international shipping.

Last edited:
It's still $4 for most books. You have to list in "antiquarian" to be allowed to charge $6.

I just shipped 11 pounds of old Guitar Player magazines, and I could only charge $6 for the shipping, so part of that shipping cost - even at media mail rates - came out of the purchase price.

I don't care if I'm selling something for $50 or $100, but when you sell for $14.95 then have to spend part of that on shipping...after all the fees I made about $8. But I got rid of a big stack of magazines that I didn't want to just chuck into the recycling bin, so there's that.

I'll probably sell the BSP bibliography for $0.01 and lose money by listing it. But that's fine too, I just want to get rid of it.

well, my super rare biblio isn't selling at what i hoped it would, so now the question is whether i list it at $.01 and take a huge loss on it, or just put it back on my shelf for a few more years.

With only 13 hours left someone might steal this. Get while the gettin's good!
A Bukowski Sampler - 1971 Druid Books
Second printing of this, purple cover. The first had an orange cover and slightly larger dimensions. Third printing has a blue cover. There is also a 4th printing from the 80s with a white/cream cover. Collect them all!
Water stain on the front, as you can see in the pictures.

Does your copy have an added orange/yellow endsheet that states 2nd printing, Aug. 1973? I have one that has decidedly blue covers. If so, I believe that the 2nd edition had either blue or purple covers and that the cream colored cover version is the 3rd printing, not the 4th.

It has light red a endpaper that lists "more books by Bukowski" as Notes, Days Run Away and Post Office. There's no printing number designation.

I had all four of the Samplers here at one time and the order I used in the auction was based on that. But it's been a while and I don't remember how or why that order seemed right. We have a thread here about it somewhere.
I felt like I did a little thieving myself :DD
I think you did. So did whoever bought the Sampler.

Yeah, I remember that thread. Maybe your (former) purple copy is a third printing then. My blue copy indicates 2nd printing Aug 1973, but I seem to remember that a printing came out in 1971 as well, so I'm not sure about any of this.

mjp, I actually won the sampler,and I definitely stole it. For what it's worth I'm very grateful.I once had this purple copy but lost it in a fire with everything else. I just missed the Krumhansl by $1. I posted a thread on here about other things I'm looking for so if you see it and have anything else let me know.

It's good that there are still steals to be had on eBay here and there. I mean, it's good for you.

I don't have any first printing paperbacks to sell. The firsts of the earlier stuff aren't usually available cheap, unless they're beat up.

I don't have any first printing paperbacks to sell. The firsts of the earlier stuff aren't usually available cheap, unless they're beat up.
I appreciate the response. Though I like a goood deal as much as anyone else, I'm not looking to strong arm anyone. What I mean is, I can and will pay well for the books. I suppose my up-front manner of speaking in the thread I posted could be read as though I was looking for cheap beat up books, but really all I was saying is I don't have 8 grand to buy Ltd 1st' s with original paintings...
So 1st paperbacks or 1st hardcover trade copies I will buy. Thanks again.

After the first printing Post Office, no Black Sparrow first softcover is scarce, let alone rare. There are definitely "placeholder" 1st printing copies available for all the books at not usurous prices.

Actually Ski,I just lost by a dollar or two on your The days run away and post office on eBay. I just recently realized that you're the person I bought Legs,Hips &Behind and Horses Don't Bet on People from. Both of them are excellent and you're great to do business with,thank you. I'm going to try to win your captain is out also. So if you have any other paperbacks or hardcover trade 1sts to unload give me a shout,I think you still have my email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back