Last CD you bought/ Book you read (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
We've got a big # of Buk nuts in here,
(Largest gathering I know of)
And just thought I'd take a sampling of our interests,
Yeah, it's a slow day (beautifully so)
Just to see if any common denominator pops up.

CD-> Everything by Underworld
Book-> Shadow Man by Cody Mcfadyen

(Disclaimer-> last book/CD bought is no indication of our primal tastes :D )

Book... Just finished Alva and Irva by Edward Carey. Sort of a Canadian Italo Calvino. Currently rereading Fante and the new Buk bio by Barry Miles.
Cd...Busy week. Three Andrew Hill cds. Arctic monkeys - Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not. Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - Ballad of the Broken Seas.

Book: At Terror Street...
CD: I don't buy that often anymore.

Last one was probably PJ Harvey or Bjork. Or some old Stooges or something. Actually, it was Bob Marley and the Wailers, Live at the Roxy.

I know, I meandered, but at least I eventually remembered. ;)

zoom man said:
the new Buk bio by Barry Miles

Is it any good?
So far so good, but I'm not that far into it. Ham on Rye territory, so far. But Miles does put forward the arguement that Buk's childhood was "par for the course" for that time. That parents were more strict, corporal punishment was the norm, etc....not sure I buy it, but interesting nonetheless.

Who do they sound like?
I've never heard of them.....

One of my all time favorites is The Replacements
And they were so never appreciatied.
I think Paul Westerberg (sp?) is one of the greatest living song writers...
Right up there with the old McCartney stuff
And John, rest his soul.

My band used to play shows with the Replacements. We all came up during the same era up there in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Husker Du would play three hour shows in the lofts in "Lowertown" St. Paul...ah, yes, those were good days to be young and alive.

I guess it's always a good day to be alive. Never mind.

Why 'never mind'?!
Jesus, it's awesome to be alive
Just to see what the hell happens next!:)

I remember being in college loving (or trying to) Husker Du
But can't remember a song by them now,
But the Replacements, oh the Replacements left something in me.

So, was Paul a predictable asshole?

zoom man said:
So, was Paul a predictable asshole?
No, they were all regular nice guys actually. Well, okay, except that little brother bass player kid. Now he was a prick. Ha. But what was he? 10 years old or something? Everyone let him slide.

No bands anyone ever heard of. ;) In St. Paul/Minneapolis a bunch of scrubby basement-gig punk bands from 77 to 79, Sonny Vincent and the Extreme from 80 to 82, then after Sonny I moved to Los Angeles and played reggae with Boom Shaka up through 89, then I retired. Ha.

With Sonny we did shows at First Avenue in Minneapolis, CBGB in NYC, and every craphole on the map in between the two. Usually during the winter, because summer would have been too comfortable and easy. No sport in it. With Boom Shaka things were better, we played bigger venues all over Los Angeles, and toured a bunch of European countries and North Africa.

A regular superstar, I tell ya. Um hm.

It's a great life when you're twenty years old and living with four other men on $10 a day and sleeping in a van or on a stage or on someone's living room floor seems like a reasonable way to live.

just found you on allmusic.com, mjp. then checked out your ink drawings. nice stuff.

I've never been to allmusic.com before. Interesting. Though Sonny's bio is full of inaccuracies and hype, but that's just as he'd like it I suppose. heh.
cirerita said:
not to you mention all the groupies you could, hmmm, talk to :D
Why do you think 20 year olds go live in those vans and sleep on those floors? ;)

If they still do, that is. I'm out of the loop. You probably don't have to tour every little dive in the country to try to get yourself known now...just hire a web designer. Doesn't seem like as much fun though.

Oh, they still do. My little brother (20 years old ha) is the Tour Manager for "June" ~ and lordallmighty he's got it all ~ floors to sleep on, a van to live in, groupies all over the US, and 8000 MySpace friends. I think the webdesigner can only get you so far ;p. Of course, I dont really like to talk about my brother's rock-star-life too much, because it's really an Emo band.

Melissa Sue said:
...and 8000 MySpace friends.
See, where's the sport in that?

If you know that everyplace you go you're going to have at least some little gaggle of myspace freaks showing up, you miss out on all that great fear-driven ambition!

Book a tour through the Northeast in January with no guarantee that even one paying customer will show up to see your starving ass play. Now that's punk rock, motherfucker!

Ha ha ha. Oh man.

You know, when I was a kid....

#1 - I agree on the MySpace Groupies-from-hell. But they're emo, so they're soft and wimpy anyway -and proud of it.
#2 - I'm thinking about marketing a T-shirt for people like you that reads "Cranky Old Punk" on the front.

Book: "The Best People in the World" (Tussing?) still have 100pgs left, kind of (well really) whacky, but like his way of getting it down, and the OPTIMISM

Music "Everything Everything" Underworld

OK, I always read 2 or 3 books at the same time, so I've been re-reading Voice of the Fire by Alan Moore, The Frankenstein Omnibus, compiled by Peter Hanning, and The Ghost Stories of Henry James, by Henry James.

As for music, I've been using Pandora, a great new Web 2.0 development, and I've been listening lately to Depeche Mode: Playing the Angel, Suspiria: by Daemonia, and Psychic TV.

I also love to listen to Iggy & The Stooges, Jamiroquai, Bob Marley, Fun Lovin Criminals, and basically anything that sounds good...

Just finished Richard (?) Perez's Losers' Club
(kind of like Big Lights, Big City..... NYC in the 90s)
Fun, fast book.

Think I got to find that Nick Flynn book Dylan mentioned,
Just for the title alone....

Though I just got Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise, could be the next book of the year/decade.
Thoug sounds kind of serious for where I am right now...

I?ve just read "The R. Crumb Handbook". A great book. Crumb tells the story of his life and there?s lots of his artwork. With the book comes a cd sampler with "R. crumb and his Cheap Suit Serenaders" (aprox. 1 hour). No wonder that Buk used him to illustrate some of his books!

YAY! It's the greatest. I actually woke up this morning to that CD on my CD-alarm-clock. It gets heavy rotation on my playlists.

The book is great, especially the bits at the end about coming to terms with old age and death. Or trying to anyway.

And I think "Baby I'm a Fine Arteeste" is fantastic. I had that quote up on my website for a while.

Can we re-post? The last CD I bought was Odetta "At the Gate of Horn" (folk) and I can't stop playing it. Fan-tas-tic.

melissa sue: Glad to hear you also liked the Crumb book and the cd too!
"fine artiste" is great! I also like "get a load of this" and "my girls pussy". - I was so thrilled with the cd that I bought 2 other Crumb cd?s from Amazon ( "singing in the bathtub" & "chasin?rainbows")!
In the book there?s an excerpt from Buk`s "Hollywood"
and one of Crumb`s drawings of him (the one from the cover of "The captain..."). It?s no big surprise to find Buk mentioned in the book since those two guys have a lot in common in their outlook on life! Both considered themselves misfits and outsiders. Just read the chapter called "The litany of hate" where he say?s that he hates religion, government, modern music, getting up in the morning, the mass media etc. Buk could have written that chapter!
That book sure is a good read!

bluealbum said:
Book: gravitys rainbow, thomas pynchon

Did you like it?
I think I got to around 80 pages and quit.
I tried reading V too (I think it was named)
And same problem.
The Crying of Lot 49 (?) I got through,
And it was ok....

Richard Powers falls in the same 'genre' as Pynchon,
And he wrote one of my all time favorites->
3 Farmers on the Way to a Dance.

I tried Pynchon when I was much younger, should probably look him up again.

Gravity's Rainbow is a struggle, although the first line is incredible...
Richard Powers is a great writer. Plowing the Dark blew me away, The Time of Our Singing is good also, although a departure for Powers.

hoochmonkey9 said:
Richard Powers is a great writer. Plowing the Dark blew me away,.

I'll have to buy that one,.... Farmers, I think, is the only one I've read.

I think it's time to start a new thread, Favorite Authors.........

OK - I usually have a two-track mind for books - One to actually read and care about, and another to fall asleep to. No shame in that.

Books - "Ask The Dust" - John Fante
"Big Rock Candy Mountain"
- Wallace Stegner(the sleeper)

CD - last one I paid money for is Darlyne Cain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back