Last CD you bought/ Book you read (2 Viewers)

0876853904-01.jpg

Hey Bukfan, I was just thinking about Zappa last night. Was looking on youtube.com for video from "200 Motels" and found quite a few good clips, including "Lonesome Cowboy Burt." What I couldn't find (but would really love to see again) was an excerpt of a show I saw several years ago where Zappa "plays" the audience. I'm thinking it was on either Merv Griffin's show or The Mike Douglas Show. Do you (or anyone else) by any chance know which show it was on and/or have any idea where I might find this?

No, I've never seen the actual footage where he "plays" the audience but I've read about it. He divided the audience into groups and had them sing different tunes all at the same time. One group sang "Harbor lights", another group sang "In-a gadda-da-vida", the third group sang something from "The rite of spring", the fourth group something from "Lohengrin", the fifth sang "Ave Maria". It happend in southern Illinois according to "The real Frank Zappa book". Maybe it also happend at other concerts. And you say you saw it on tv. I would like to see it too! I'm sure the Zappa forum at www.zappa.com can tell you were to find the footage.
"Lonesome cowboy Burt" is indeed a funny song. I have "200 motels" on video. You should hear the Jimmy Swaggart version of "Lonesome cowboy Burt". It's on the double cd called "The best band you never heard in your life". The album is from Zappa's last tour in 1988...

Last edited by a moderator:
I want you to know that I care. I haven't a clue what they are, but as one human to another, I care. So, at least one other person cares; and that can't be bad, can it?

SD

last cd - either madeline peyroux's careless love or tom wait's real gone. imagine people who like buk also veer towards waits??? peyroux's vocal has a striking resemblance to billie holiday's (god bless her soul.) for anyone interested in dylan (bob!), she (peyroux,not billie, that is. aha..!) covers his you're gonna make me lonesome when you go.

last book: the barry miles bio of b.! i was kinda inspired to purchase after "lucking" on this site! and there was me thinking i'd got over him. ha. well, haven't got past the 1st chpt. yet. without doubt will learn more here!

if you like b's misogyny misoginE, why not check out the 18th century french philosopher CHAMFORT, if you haven't already. wonder if b. ever read him...? to wit:

"many men are prevented from becoming misanthropic either through weakness of character or through lack of ideas, in a word, by the very things that make us unable to live by ourselves."

"there's no man who, singly, is as contemptible as a body of men. there's no single body of men that can be as contemptible as the general public."

"the perfect man is the honest man who's lost all his illusions..."etc.

"the most misspent day in any life is the one when you've failed to laugh."

book- shantaram- gregory david roberts

I haven't found a better read since I discovered this heavy weight....
Amazing characterization and written with such heart.
Is Johnny Depp still starring in the upcoming movie?
(And is our scolded friend Mel still producing?)

I bought this book early (Australian firsts)
Hoping it would be big here when it arrived,
But alas, not yet...
The movie Will Make a Difference.

cd-john coltrane "the clown" and john cage "litany of the whale" for a friend

book-norman mailer "the naked and the dead" for .50 and henry miller "crazy cock" for 1.00... score.

fucking mac just died so i don't have itunes, hence no music ... no money, no can buy....

last cd i bought i can't remember, but last cd i downloaded (this is a purely fictional account so no no one should be held liable for this post) was balkan beat box, off-shoot of a group called gogol bordello. pretty good.

last book: been reading philo crap lately. got through the moderns and now reading post moderns. last book i read was by paul virilio. the best of the post moderns so far. he doesn't preach so much as speculate

CD:Scissor Sisters, Ta Daa.

Book:Something by Stig Dagerman, I'm not sure of the title in English, but it translates "Our Necessity for Consolation is Impossible to Satisfy".

last book i bought was Mockingbird Wish Me Luck
which i gave away as a birthday present

and the last i rented from the library was Notes
From The Underground by Dostoyevsky

Just received a handfull of Buk books from Amazon:

"What matters most..."
"The night torn..."
"Charles Bukowski: A sure bet" by G. Locklin
"Drinking with Bukowski" ed. by D. Weizmann
"Charles Bukowski - Laughing with the Gods" by F. Pivano
"The Bukowski Tapes" - dvd (got tired of finding my favourite segments on the video tapes)

I haven't read any of the titles yet. Just got started on "The night torn..." and "Drinking with Bukowski"...

cd's...Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - Streetcore. Strummer's last cd, it was not quite finished when he died. His version of "Redemption Song" is worth the price alone. He recorded this at the same time he recorded his version with Johnny Cash. It's on Cash's Unearthed box set. That version gives me chills.
Ryan Adams and The Cardinals - Cold Roses. Excellent.
Willie Nelson - Songbird. Produced by Ryan Adams and uses his band The Cardinals. One of the best cd's this year for me so far. Saw Nelson live this fall (just before his last drug bust), great show and a very tight band.
book...Murphy - Samuel Beckett.

That's a modern classic! - A good read! - I've got it myself...

Is Johnny Depp still starring in the upcoming movie?
(And is our scolded friend Mel still producing?)

as far as i know the movie is a go ahead.. depp is keen to play the role. don't know of its progress. i heard johnny is putting up the cash for it also..

i know all you americans are making a big fuss about old mel.. i guess he's been run out of hollywood.. but he's aussie, and aussie's love a drink. and we all say stupid shit when we are drunk. i'm thinking the average man has said alot worse shit on the piss.. but now, with mel everyone knows about it, and have judged his whole existance on a few drunken words . sucked in to him..

last two cds i bought: Godspeed You! Black Emperor "Lift yr skinny fists.."
and Explosions In The Sky "How Strange, Innocence"

last books I bought: Anthony Burgess "The Wanting Seed" and a hardcover copy of "Hollywood"

Re :cranky old punks,could you please make a sticker for my walking frame there is no greater sport than spearing those green day fans, or mowing them down in me wheel chair ,tee hee! Hey Ho Lets Go.

cd I bought: not a cd, but I just got Tears For Fears - Scenes From The Big Chair for Christmas. Documentary on the making of Songs From The Big Chair, the dvd has so much great live footage, etc. Very worth while.

Book I read was Harpo Speaks, autobiography by Harpo Marx. I don't care what you're into, read this book! I seriously cannot remember being so anxious to read what was on the next page, and yet, simultaneously saddened that I had just finished yet another page. The silent Marx Brother led a life the rest of us merely dream about. Do yourself a favor and read it.

Harpo Speaks

Book I read was Harpo Speaks, autobiography by Harpo Marx. I don't care what you're into, read this book! I seriously cannot remember being so anxious to read what was on the next page, and yet, simultaneously saddened that I had just finished yet another page. The silent Marx Brother led a life the rest of us merely dream about. Do yourself a favor and read it.

Perfect. I was hoping that someday the subject of this wonderful book would come up. It is pure joy. Not the puerile, unctuous or sentimental kind of joy, but the genuine joy of a man who lived it as much as is humanly possible, even after he'd lost the love of his life in a plane crash. Overall he had a remarkable life, was a hell of a story teller, gambler, and used to play croquet with his famous friends on the snowy rooftops of New York in the depths of winter, as the entire crew of the literary elite he hung out with at the time were crazy for fun and had the money to indulge their fantasies. Not everyone with considerable financial resources is a creep or lacking in soul.

Marx also recounts his experiences during the dreadful US Depression of the late 1920s and early '30s and how he asked a gambler for a critical loan to save him from financial ruin. Years later Marx ran into that man and asked him why he had been willing to loan the money. I won't spoil the answer"”because it's too good to give away, and it's the last answer one might expect"”but the gambler was a good judge of character and Marx was saved from being financially wiped out.

For me, Harpo Marx was in his own way as extraordinary as Bukowski"”being from an entirely different corner of universe, of course"”and both had remarkably memorable lives. The difference is that one was a master of gesture, perfect comedic timing and openness of heart, and the other was a master of deeply felt sentiments expressed through his amazing poetry and novels. For years, I've felt there was room enough in life for each of them to co-exist within my heart of hearts without the reality of one negating the power of the other, and I still do. "”Poptop.

book: Tom Waits-the interviews; Sylvia Plath-Ariel; Buk-Notes from a dirty old man; Kingdom of fear-H.Thompson

cd: Tom Waits-Orphans:brawlers bawlers and bastards (heigh ho!!); Sibelius-symphony no.5; Sparklehorse- In the belly of a mountain; Low-rarities and b-sides

oh and i also picked up Geoff Love covers Morricone on vinyl (very funny in a truly awful way) and a Soviet handbook from the 1950's on how to be a revolutionary (worth a pop at 50p...now onward to those palace gates...);)

book i can recommend is "Out Stealing Horses" by the Norwegian writer
Per Petterson, i believe it will soon be released in the US, it's
been released all over Europe including the UK.
One of the best books I've read and I know that guy from 20 years ago
when he worked in one of the bookstores in Oslo in Norway. He was into
Bukowski and Fante and got me started reading Carver's collected
short stories.
I recommend Petterson's book!
---Hank

Just got through with Dan Fante's Spitting Off Tall Buildings. I suppose I should thank this forum for cluing me into both Fantes, as this was the first I heard of either of them and never would have been able to pluck the thing off the shelf at used bookstore I shop at.

Not sure what this says about me, but the waitress scene had me laughing out loud. And the night after I read it, as I was trying to fall asleep, I found myself thinking about Rabelais' chapter on the best way of wiping your ass...not sure what that has to do with Fante, maybe the whole thing about Bruno being so concerned with solving the out of order pay phone dilemma...

Anyway, it was a good, quick, one sitting of a read, especially welcome as a follow up to Solzhenitsyn's First Circle....

Try "Mooch", Chump Change" & "Short Dog". All are excellent! I just picked up a copy of Dan Fante's play, "Don Giavanni". Can't wait to read that one too!

Bill

CD Review - Gabriela Montero: Bach and Beyond

This is compositional improvisation at the highest possible level, stunning, and full of everything that music is, or is supposed to be... the highs, the lows, the amazingly transparent technical ability. Not only is she a brilliant performer of the legendary composers such as Chopin, Bach, Granados and some of the modernists like Prokofiev and others, but she has entirely absorbed their musical idiom and can call upon it at will in dazzling display. I listen to a lot of everything and I am completely blown over with her depth of expression and transcendent musical ability. I have been listening to "Bach and Beyond" for the entire weekend--it is recorded so well in every respect, from the sound of the piano to the performances themselves--that the highest compliment I can pay her is this: her talent is such that she could make a skeptic believe in God. Her many hours of practice aside, I truly believe that's the only place where her improvisational gift could possibly come from, for she has said herself that the music she plays is not filtered through the mind. I hope to hear her live when I have the chance. A treasure. "”Poptop.

"I Know This Much Is True", also by Wally Lamb, is fantastic, very moving (esp. if you've ever had a to deal with a loved one who is mentally ill).

just finished "Wild Fire" by Richard Ford and "The Ghost Writer" by Philip Roth. the PR book felt like a long short-story; i enjoyed it but felt a little unsatisfied at the end. the RF book is still digesting :)

Just got these four cd's:

Rolling Stones: "Beggars Banquet" & "Let It Bleed" - both DSD remastered (2002).

Tom Waits: "Used Songs - 1973-1980" (The Asylum years) Compilation 2001.

Beatles: "Love" (2006) - Samples at www.thebeatles.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back