Later edition hardcovers? (1 Viewer)

I'm sure this has come up before
But
Can anyone explain or make sense of
how the later hardcover BSP editions were printed.
Some seem more available than others, like Ham on Rye
or Dangling.
Some only seemed to be reprinted only once or twice.
I don't think they printed a hardcover edition with every paperback one.
So it just seems arbitrary.
I have almost all Buk's books in hardcover,
I just can't afford signed editions.
And it seems those are much easier to find.

Can one of you guys call John Martin and ask?

Well, you're matlock, I was going to ask you.

But yeah, I have noticed the same thing. Some titles are much less common in hardcover. But actual publication figures after the first editions would be difficult to come by.

So thats it.
I finally consult the mighty Bukowski.net
brain trust, and I get one reply.
This thing would be three pages long by
now if the question had been "Did Bukowski
like pickles?"

My guess is that Bukowski loved pickles.

My guess on your other question is that BSP probably bound copies in hardcover as their stock ran out, so if you get a 12th printing hardcover of a title there may not have been a 9th, 10th or 11th printing hardcover issued.

When I helped out at a book signing in San Pedro in '86 the store ordered copies of most of his titles in hardcover. Many of the books they sent (titles which were 4 and 5 years old at the time) were first editions. Point being that apparently BSP hardcovers didn't sell all that well.

This thing would be three pages long by
now if the question had been "Did Bukowski
like pickles?"
Because someone may have seen him eating pickles with a big smile on his face, or pushing pickles from his plate with a fork. And the word "pickles" makes people chuckle.

But only someone who worked for Black Sparrow would know about hardcover production, and those types don't hang around here.

Though there are several members here who speak to John Martin (or email him) frequently, so maybe, if you can wait for it, you'll get the answer you seek.

That's what the bukowski.net magic 8 ball told me, anyway.

when i left a random message with martins answering machine he returned the call within 24 hours.just call him directly and get more than a good answer.

I'd like to call him to see if he's got a secret Bukowski Black Sparrow hardcover hoard that he would come off of. WE ALL COULD GET HARDCOVERS THAT WAY...if such a hoard exists.
i've heard many tales, passed down through the ages, of Jolly John Martin, The black sparrow with a belly full of hardcovers that shakes when he laughs.

Martin sold his lot to Jeff Maser. According to Jeff, he bought a vanload of stuff (not all Bukowski). I'm sure JM kept some things, but I doubt he has a secret stash of hardcovers or other stuff.

I've bought a few items from Jeff Maser, and his prices aren't bad relative to other booksellers (he's usually one of the least expensive on abebooks), but you can often get better deals on ebay most of the time.

I do believe I've bought from Jeff as well, although I don't
recall any hardcover bounty, so I'm assuming that's long gone, or squirreled away.
I have occasionally found fair priced hardcovers in the deep dark recesses of ABE
and other sites, usually because they were listed badly and were being overlooked.
I've also received a few softcovers because apparently Black Sparrow or Godine put the wrong barcode sticker on a bunch of books.
When I ordered my Krumhansl bibliography I got the #'d edition with the free broadside.
So I guess it works both ways.
I've found quite a few hardcovers on eBay, but you have to watch em' like a hawk (because of y'all), and a decent one will still set you back forty bucks.

Considering an ex-library copy of Hollywood sold this week on eBay for $31, I would tend to agree with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back