Linda King Book Release Party at Beat Museum (1 Viewer)

Okay, I have to break down and buy a copy before they disappear. It's not just that I'm a cheapskate, but my family has been very needy financially lately and Linda King's book can't compete with a tank of gas or a bag of groceries. I'll just do it anyway, like some compulsive person.

True, the King book will last longer than the groceries or the gas. I've never regretted buying a book I wanted but couldn't afford, and I've usually regretted selling a book I really liked but needed the money for groceries etc. Face it, books are just about the best thing around. I'll pull the trigger on it this weekend. Sounds like maybe the signed edition is already gone? That simplifies my decision to go ahead and buy this anyway, even though I'm bleeding cash lately.

The deed is done. I bought the signed edition because Paypal wouldn't allow me to add shipping for the unsigned. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

Nice paintings. I imagine the book won't stay in print long given the cost of color printing.

So apparently, Linda's big, long time in the works book about Bukowski is not Bukowski Undigested -- is that correct?

At City Lights Books the last time I was in SF I bought a great broadside by Linda King, about Bukowski, signed, for $5. The staff was very accomodating and found a large cardboard envelop for me to protect it in as I walked around all day with it in my backpack.

I don't think this is her memoir, no. As I recall that is titled, Loving and Hating Bukowski. It may never come out. She (or whoever sells the Bukowski head sculptures) had some blurb in the last eBay auction about it being made into a MAJOR HOLLYWOOD MOVIE WITH BIG NAME ACTORS. So maybe they'll do the movie first, then the book. Um hmm.

sign0077.gif

Got my copy of Linda King's new book today, lucky #13 out of 300. It doesn't say if that's 300 signed copies, or the total edition. I'm about 1/4th the way through it and enjoying it. Strong, honest poems, all of them about her relationship with Bukowski. She doesn't pull any punches. As a close up view of the man from someone who knew him intimately, this is an invaluable document. Great color illustrations by Matt Sesow on almost every page. They really suit the work -- a nice matching up of talents.

Linda is kind of a primitive. The writing isn't highly skilled, but it's straight forward, honest, and evocative. It works. She has something to say, knows her own mind, and is not afraid. She cuts through all the bullshit you'd get from more educated writers. She lays it out there for you to accept or not accept. And she knew Bukowski well. I think it's good writing.

I also received the book (lucky number 6?), and just reading a dozen poems at random, flipping through the book, I think it's very good. I haven't found any "clunkers," and I'm connecting with the poems much more than those in one of her previous books, curled inside the curve of his body, which is later work.

The poems in this one were written (at least the ones I've read so far) in the mid-70's during her relationship with Bukowski. They are definitely Bukowski-esque, maybe that's why I like them more than the more recent work (she's found her own voice now, and I guess I don't care for it -that's not very complimentary, but there you go).

Definitely worth buying for Bukowski fans, and Matt Sesow's art is a great addition. Two thumbs up from me on this one.

no, not as far as i know. i was deliberating over whether i should buy the king book (it's hard to justify buying a book under my current situation. trust me i'm not a mere tight-wad), but then it was sold to me by both david's and mjp's posts. maybe i should have said bought? :)

Oh, OK, Ja.
I asked because I just bought (well... paid for) a copy online and I thought maybe it was one of the last ones or I was going to get an email saying "you're shit out of luck"... or some such.

They sent the books to Matt Sesow to sign them. The books were "temporary lost" but everything is under controle again...

ok, I bought one.
I'm sure I'll like the poems, but I bought this one based on what I saw of the artwork.
and if a certain magazine ever pays me for my short story, I'm going to buy one of his paintings (one of the lower priced ones, of course).

ps- matt sesow is one of the coolest people i have ever met. the reading was fantastic, and meeting father luke and strangegirl was really cool too.

I'm not sure how gentle I am and I'm not too tall. Just overweight.

Still.

Yep he is a good guy. He came out here last year and we hung out for 4 or 5 days and printed some really cool stuff.

Best,
Bill

i think he was referring to your stature within the small press poetry community, not your physical stature. similarly, by "gentle," he may have been referring to your gentle touch on the letterpress.

Great pics! Is it Linda King sitting at Jordan's right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back