Linda King Book Release Party at Beat Museum (1 Viewer)

Yes. To Jordan's right. . .

2429733353_86495baee2_b.jpg

And Soheyl Dahi's left.

2429715813_ff3bc35463_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well actually, I can only take credit for one of those pics, that being the first one.
Father Luke clicked off the others. Well with the exception of the the 2nd photo.
He caught some great moments. So thank you Father Luke.
:)

Great pictures, thank you both. I should have been there. I would have been there but for the cost of airfare and a hotel room. Looks like a good time was had. Is there any video of Linda reading?

Great pictures, thank you both.

I'm glad you liked them. I need to make copies for
Soheyl, and Matt and email them off to them.

Is there any video of Linda reading?

She had someone recording, yes Sir.

Funny story. . .

During the middle of the reading a drunk guy
started snoring.

Linda's son, Scott,

2433542490_c3f12f1686_o.jpg

sat down inconspicuously next to the guy, and gave him a gentle elbow in the ribs.

Linda asked the crowd:

"Anyone falling asleep?" and the drunk guy said:

"No, baby. We're just getting warmed up. Keep going!"

Later on, at the bar, someone asked Linda about
the drunk guy. "Oh, hell," Linda said. "I paid him to
be there, to add a little life to the thing."

I really liked her.

2433552142_6c0a554dd1_o.jpg

More great photos and a great story about the drunk guy. Thanks. Hope Linda posts that video on Youtube, for those of us who couldn't make it.

Rekrab, You have been to Linda King's house before or was that another's house?
Bill, yes, once, in (was it?) 1972, for the publication party for her book of poems with Bukowski, ME AND YOU SOMETIMES LOVE POEMS (I may have that date and title wrong...it's 5:23 AM). Speaking of which, the dates H*** S*** gives in his bio for when Linda and Bukowski lived together, when she was living where, doesn't quite match up with what I saw. He seems off by a year, but I don't remember the details just now.

It was definitely 1973 that they (briefly) lived together at Linda's house in Silverlake.

Me And Your Sometimes Love Poems did first come out in 1972 though.

I don't have time to check Sounes right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was off. I mean, if the real dates didn't fit his story, or he "lost" his notes for that part and was just relying on his memory...which he seems to have done in more than few places.

It was definitely 1973 that they (briefly) lived together at Linda's house in Silverlake.
cool letter. thanks!

btw. that's how Linda King described the place:
"It was big and beautiful with a fireplace and hardwood floors. It sat on the hillside on Edgewater Terrace and, also, had a huge back yard with trees and bamboo."

sounds idyllic. maybe it was too far from the city to please Buk back then.

[...] it wouldn't surprise me if he was off. I mean, if the real dates didn't fit his story [...]
;-))

Me And Your Sometimes Love Poems did first come out in 1972 though.

I don't have time to check Sounes right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was off. I mean, if the real dates didn't fit his story, or he "lost" his notes for that part and was just relying on his memory...which he seems to have done in more than few places.

mjp: I had the impression when I was at that publication party in 1972 that Bukowski was living there, but I don't remember if that was openly stated or just how it looked. Maybe it was something half way in between, with him staying over frequently but not fully moved in. I do recall his and her toothbrushes in the bathroom. I've been thinking a lot about all that, my glimpses of Bukowski, and there are things I don't understand, mysteries of chronology. I'm in the weird position of needing to do some research to figure out a part of my own life. I still don't know how many readings I saw; three or four. It's kind of like being Jason Bourne.

The most useful tool in determining chronology has been the letters. If we didn't have the one I linked to above, or one like it (when he changed addresses by that time it must have been quite a list of people that he notified), all we would have to go on is memories or the FBI. Both are prone to error. Linda King could have been asked for a definitive date, but the more time goes by, the fewer first hand sources we have.

Even with the memory-error though, I will usually take the word of someone close to Bukowski on a date for the timeline. For instance, Pamela "Cupcakes" Miller corrected me on the date of a couple out of town readings. How did she know they were wrong? Because she went on the trips with Bukowski.

So you have to take information like that, the letters, and a few other things in to account, but after that, you have a pretty good chronology. See, nothing to it. ;)

But even with all of that, we still don't know where the hell he really was for about a year and a half there. We have no letters to back up his claims of living in Atlanta, St. Louis, San Francisco, New York, etc., etc. Just his stories, which are less reliable for establishing chronology than the FBI.

This just arrived, nice little production. The colour art throughout looks great, plus I paid for a regular copy and got a signed one, which is good. Now...when will "Loving and Hating Charles Bukowski" be out?

I say we make him watch Tales of Ordinary Madness until his eyes bleed.
and they will bleed.

I think that poem is better read to oneself, as she doesn't read it very well. But what do I know -- it aint my poetry, it's hers.

Still, it is a very good poem. At least it was when mjp read it to me.

And here's one by Gerry King who uploaded Linda King's poem. I like the way Gerry's reading her poem - very emotionel...:D

I agree (unsurprisingly) with esart. I have never been a fan of hearing poems read by the writer, and even less so by someone else (hello Harry Dean Stanton, Tom Waits and Bono, and fuck you very much for that).

To me, reading is meant to be done in your head, looking at the words on the paper. Hearing someone read makes me sleepy. Even when beer bottles are being thrown around the room.

It's like listening to music before the cultural revolution that was MTV and post-MTV. Just ain't the same. Music in your head is way better than music on your TV, and a poem in a book is way better than one being read by a bored sounding poet in a room full of people couching and talking and blowing their noses.

I'm almost certain. Everything fits - name, age group...

Yes Geraldine 'Gerry' King co-edited Purr with Linda I believe.

according to D.A., there's no way the answer and the question could exist in the same universe at the same time. so if the answer is 42, and it most likely is, then the question can not be "when will the book come out".

;-))

somehow I'm lost....

I think that may be the point, though.

Bill

somehow I'm lost....

sorry.
this refered to Douglas Adams: 'The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy'.

A series of 5 books NOT being an SF-story, (at least not more than 'Life of Brian' is a history of Jesus). It's written in the same sense of humor you find with Monty Python.

One of the running jokes is, that there was a former civilization in the galaxy, that wanted to find out the answer to "the last question about life, the universe and everything", so they built a computer that was running for several million years, just to come up with the answer: "42".

after that, they found out, that they simply hadn't any EXACT idea, what the question was. so they built an even more complex computer to find out the question to that answer ...

to make it short - and as i already told - there is no way, the question AND answer can exist inside the same universe. if they did, the universe would immediately change into something even more miraculous (and there is the possibility, this already happened).

i guess, you get the gist now.
and THIS was the joke, grahamcooke was making from the start...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back