Marina Louise Bukowski (2 Viewers)

Meanwhile back to Marina L Bukowski. After reading some of her mother's poetry I think she too could be a fine writer. Genetically speaking.

Yeah, I think that she has no interest in writing poetry, which is fine. If it is not there, it is best to not try to force it.

Bill

I knew Frances from the Venice Poetry Workshop in the seventies. Marina was there. She was about 9 and stayed upstairs in an apartment while we read. Frances was a mother figure to us all and a good poet every so often. Mostly she ran the group with Jack Grapes, others. Exene Cervanka was there, pre "X".

My dad worked in a prison and cussed so much my first word was "Damny!", according to family legend.

I know this is a thread started a long time ago, but I'm a newcomer so I hope that it's okay to add to the discussion. . .I had a couple of reactions to the idea of Buk leaving everything to Linda. My first is that, while I live in Oregon and the laws may be totally different in California, when my mom died a couple of years ago her entire estate was automatically left to her husband, my step-dad, and when he passes away everything will be divided equally between 5 children--his 3 and my mom's 2. I know that legally there could have been specific provisions in my mom's will in which my brother and I would have immediately received something, but that would have been a huge hassle and possible burden to my step-dad, who has a lot of years left and needs not worry about giving a chunk of whatever they had away after his wife died. Also, when someone is dying of a disease like cancer (my mom), you want to put your affairs in order and quickly and simply as possible. The thought of What do I get? has never crossed my mind. When you love someone and they die, possessions and money mean nothing.

Also, of all that I have seen and read of Linda, she strikes me as a completely devoted person who would never hesitate to give Buk's child whatever she needed, if she that were ever the case. And Marina, I'm sure, is not the type of person who lives a life where being loaded is of any concern. I know Buk's estate is worth an incredible amount of money and that complicates things, but I'd like to think that he left this world not worrying about who gets what but trusting that his loved ones would take care of each other.

This is why no person of merit has created or contributed to an Anna Nicole Smith forum. I'm just sayin'.

Marina's story would be very interesting; perhaps she realized her grandfather's idea would be a lot more practical than becoming an artist/writer. Think of all the turbulence she must have lived through and experienced with her parents.

Thanks, Roni, for the photo spread. Nice Touch.

Frances Smith was known as FrancEYE. She was a poet in the Venice-Ocean Park area of Los Angeles and was a regular reader at Beyond Baroque in Venice. I saw her read there many times in the 90s. She had a little white tuft of hair on her chin which she seemed to be proud of and her poetry was (as I remember) personal and of the self-empowering kind. Her nickname I think was "The Bearded Witch of Ocean Park." She died in her late 80s around 2009. I never remember her mentioning anything about Bukowski. She made no attempt to rest on his laurels and did not seem to have ambitions of fortune and fame: she was all about her own poetry.

So Buk's and Frances's DNA combined produced an Aerospace Engineer? Now thats what I'm talking about.The power of DNA. We always knew Buk was a genius pretending to be a no good drunk. I'm happy for Marina. Let's get one thing straight.....there is NO WAY Buk "screwed over" Marina in any way shape or form. Are you kiding me?

Hey Hank.What? Did you take care of Marina is your will? Sure. Sure.

So Buk's and Frances's DNA combined produced an Aerospace Engineer? Now thats what I'm talking about.The power of DNA.
Yes, it's probably the power of DNA, although a bit postponed. I believe Mullinax was onto something when he said:

Marina is a top-flight engineer. Her grandfather wanted Buk to be an engineer
I reckon that the wish of Henry Charles Bukowski Sr. (to have one of his descendants becoming an engineer) was so strong that it finally came through.
I bet the old devil (what's left of him) is smiling in his grave.

Frances Smith was known as FrancEYE. She was a poet in the Venice-Ocean Park area of Los Angeles and was a regular reader at Beyond Baroque in Venice. I saw her read there many times in the 90s. She had a little white tuft of hair on her chin which she seemed to be proud of and her poetry was (as I remember) personal and of the self-empowering kind. Her nickname I think was "The Bearded Witch of Ocean Park." She died in her late 80s around 2009. I never remember her mentioning anything about Bukowski. She made no attempt to rest on his laurels and did not seem to have ambitions of fortune and fame: she was all about her own poetry.

Along with Marina I loved the interview she gave in "Born Into This". I first knew about her before I even knew anything about Buk, after she'd accepted a poem of mine for the literary magazine, 'Pearl', when she was part of the editorial team along with Joan Jobe Smith.

Welcome to the site "behind the plow." I hope you like it here. Sometimes you can sit back and watch the old crowd attack each other with sarcastic jabs. They are old friends or intellectual enemies. If you get caught in the cross fire don't let it hurt your feelings. If you love Bukowski you just found the best site on Earth for that sort of thing.

What Danny Mac just said! I took somewhat of a drubbing a few weeks back, and I have no hard feelings at all. This is a great forum, and I'm grateful to MJP for hosting it!

It's public, yes.

I just paid to do an online search in the Los Angeles county records though, and there's no probate filing for Bukowski in the year he died. Maybe he didn't have a will? I doubt his finances were very complicated.

I went back to do a search without a date range but now (5 minutes after the first one) they're saying my credit card is invalid.

That's how you know it's a government website.

Maybe he didn't have a will?
He had a will as early as BEFORE 1979. Here's from a letter to his attorney of that year:

applebaum_letter_change-will_1979_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back