Mental Illness and Buk (1 Viewer)

G

grayxray

Does anybody feel Buk was mentally ill -- that not being bad as most of the creative people in our society display some degree of mental illness. Any thoughts?

The Task and the Glory

Not clinically or psychologically mentally ill . . . no. But he did suffer periods of great emotional and physical stress, especially at the time he was living out his contradictory nightmare at the post office?i.e. trying to stay alive creatively at the same time he needed a roof over his head . . . supporting his daughter, etc. . . and yet those situations drove him on as an evolving writer. . . In his mid-30's, he spent some time for health reasons at General or County Hospital because of the consequences of his heavy drinking and before he discovered the thrill of breaking even at the race track. . . I happen to consider him one of the sanest men in recent times, drunk or sober, because he found that place of creative bliss and inner peace despite the brutal beatings of his childhood by his sadistic father and the humiliating shit jobs he had to endure (but learned from) for the first 50 years of his life. Ultimately, he appeared to have transcended it all, and that is my personal definition of mental health.

Crazy in Sedona . . . . Poptop

Well he was 4F in WII, apparently for emotional reasons... Surely its quite likely that his psych interview for the draft was a bit more than the 3 or 4 simple questions that pop up in his writing and Born footage... And of course the frequent references to suicide - surely not just for effect?

Who knows.

From his writing, generally, I'd say no, I don't get that impression.

From Mockingbird Wish Me Luck
wwii [excerpt]

then the next morning i went down to the draft board
a boy fainted when they took blood out of his arm and i looked at
the
needle dip into my vein and watched the red of me run up into the
tube
and felt rugged
they looked up my ass
and then i went in to see the sike

u have yr shorts on backwards he told me
i got up and switched them
he sat there looking at me

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF PICASSO?

at first i
said all right now not much
do you write or paint?
yes
and?
and what? I ASKED IF YOU WROTE OR PAINTED. leave me alone
i told him

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN PUBLISHED? PAINTINGS HUNG?

nothing accepted

nothing accepted anywhere
do you believe in the war? he asked no i said

ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO WAR? he asked no i said

WHY DON'T YOU BE A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR? because i said
i am not sure there is a God

NEXT WEDNESDAY NIGHT WE ARE HAVING A MEETING, A PARTY
FOR DOCTORS, WRITERS AND ARTISTS I WANT YOU TO BE
THERE I AM INVITING YOU WILL YOU COME?

no
all right he said u don't have to go
u mean i asked the party or the war?

either one he said you didn't think we'd understand did you?

no

he wrote something on a slip of paper and folded it and stuck it to
my card
with a paperclip give them this, up the line

he had written a hell of a lot on the slip as i walked i managed
to lift the edge of the slip but all i cd see was

HIDES AN EXTREME,
SENSITIVITY UNDER A POKER FACE

which was news to me
and then some guy in a uniform screamed at me
ALL RIGHT SON UNCLE SAM DOESN'T WANT YOU

(Sorry the formatting isn't exact)

Does anybody feel Buk was mentally ill -- that not being bad as most of the creative people in our society display some degree of mental illness. Any thoughts?

Henry Miller used to write that mental illness was the result of trying to overly adapt oneself to an insane world instead of adapting to oneself... So who's to say how much Bukowski's state of mind would have improved if he hadn't been beaten on a regular basis starting at age 6? That's like trying to adapt to an impossible situation, and there's no solving except to go within... Then perhaps one later realizes that just about everyone has some locked cave within the mind that needs airing out in the light of a burning sun... or swept clean with the big brushing broom of the creative process...

I think it was the two english "anti - psychiatrists", Ronald D. Laing and Cooper, who said that mental illness is the response of a normal mind to a abnormal society...

I think it was the two english "anti - psychiatrists", Ronald D. Laing and Cooper, who said that mental illness is the response of a normal mind to a abnormal society...

God, yes.

Actually, Miller was not so much talking about the mentally ill but about the "neurotic," in a discussion with the writer Anais Nin. They were saying that today's neurotic was the person of tomorrow, because he refuses or shouldn't be adapting to a sick society; and by not adapting, he causes a necessary change in society itself. I think I understand what she means. The other side of it is that sometimes the demands of the society"”rent, utilities, financial demands, etc."”has the man by the balls and the woman by her equivalents.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a great friend who fears/realizes he might be bi-polar/schizo - he refuses to be diagnosed. he doesnt want the drugs that will make him into something that he isnt. he has his moments - depressions, anxieties, etc. but somehow he has been pretty successful in dealing with them - plus he has a pretty good paying factory/union job. at times his paranoia boils to the surface, but most of the time he has it together. for how long? who knows? but i understand him wanting to live a life without having ones biochemistry readjusted. yes indeed. (oh - just watched the south park episode where all the kids in town are given drugs because of "a.d.d." - what kind of world our we sculpting for the young ones?)

Is it true that Buk often bathed five times a day? I find that quite eye-opening re: his mental state.

As per the other posters, all of us in some way are mentally maladjusted - or should be. Maladjusted to a job that is slowly killing you, to a socity slowly fucking itself to death. Greed, avarice, envy, TV psychosis, the lot.

Cevantes said something along the lines of "the only true insanity is to live the way we do and not as we should" or something.

I think all of us self-medicate in some way - Buk did by drink as a lot of us no doubt do. But at least Buk found a voice, some sense of clarity with his writing. Didn't he once say that writing was the only thing that saved him from going insane. Usually, insanity is a continuum - it isn't a fixed destination. I suppose most of us are somewhere along the line and at times further forward or back depending on everything going on around.

I don't know I'm rambling. I'd rather drink to self-medicate than be a drone filling myself up with TV soaps, jobs, shopping etc.

As per the other posters, all of us in some way are mentally maladjusted - or should be. Maladjusted to a job that is slowly killing you, to a socity slowly fucking itself to death. Greed, avarice, envy, TV psychosis, the lot.

Amen, Ona - Amen!

It makes me think of the old Canned Heat tune "Down in the gutter, but free"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back