Michael Montfort R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

Hey, no worries. We all learn about Buk and the people who were close to him when we do, you know? It just so happens that today is a major, yet very sad day for fans of Buk; at least those who followed more than just the word. The word is the main thing, but there was so much more.

more info:
he died on Friday.
at 9 am the nursing service was there and he seemed okay.
it seems he had kind of an epileptic seizure later that day. the autopsy is going on just now.
his daughter Daisy is in Freiburg, Germany now to handle things.

BUKOWSKI-montfort_1978_3a.jpg

I remember, when I last visited him in July, we sat in his kitchen and he beagn to speak about Hank in hymn. He really loved this man.

Hopefully they sit together at some kitchen-table in heaven for a big drink now.

I met Michael two summers ago in Freiburg, brought him some Greek food from a local restaurant. He was very kind and also suffering greatly. Glad you posted the photos. The Jim Morrison ones are really lovely too. OK, requiescat in pace.

Ah hell. That's sad news. He took a lot of great photographs and will always be remembered for his photos of Bukowski.

I'm planning to bring something about Michael in the upcoming yearbook of the Bukowski-Society.

My idea is, that everybody who has known or met him personally writes some short thoughts about him or the meeting or his personality or his importance.

Not much, just about 2-4 sentences per person.
Then I'd just bring these quotes one after another.

Not exactly what one would call an obituary. But I think this is better than just asking one or two persons for their oppinions. It will bring up a bigger variety of voices.

So, David, mjp, cirerita, BoS, ...... would y'ALL please think about him for a moment and send your words to:
[email protected]

Thanks a Lot folks!

ps:
since some of you also have access to Linda Bukowski, John Martin and others, who knew him, that I don't have access to - maybe you could ask them for doing this little favor for the remembrance of Michael? Wouldbe great!

Hi,
Will the service and internment be in Germany or California? I'm not sure if Daisy is there to plan the funeral. If it is there, then we'll need Roni to tell us how to get an arrangement there. It should be from the 1900 members of www.bukowski.net.

If the funeral will be in California, then I would think that someone in the states can handle it.

Best,
Bill

Will the service and internment be in Germany or California?

I don't think they will bring him to the US.
His mother, brother and sister live here and he lived here the last years. I don't see why they should bury him abroad.

The date of the funeral is still unknown. They'll wait for the final words from the autopsy to set a date.

Haven't reached Daisy on the phone today. Only a friend of him was at his home then. Will try again tomorrow.

Have just talked with Carl Weissner. He too doesn't know anything at the moment.

If it's me to do the arrangement, I'll ask around for his favorite flowers and colors. (maybe we should have Daisies? or something yellow?)

how about:

[ The members of bukowski.net ]
[ will always keep you in their hearts ]

too kitschy?

If it's me to do the arrangement, I'll ask around for his favorite flowers and colors. (maybe we should have Daisies? or something yellow?)

how about:

[ The members of bukowski.net ]
[ will always keep you in their hearts ]

too kitschy?

[ and your pictures in their minds ]

Yellow daisies, yes.

Okay now we have to name a star after him or something. Maybe mjp could put a button up top left, in with all of the other stuff, dedicated to Michael Montfort's contributions to Bukowski. (or not)

If everyone wants to write a page about what Montfort meant to you, or a drawing, etc... I'll bind it into a BSP style hardcover book to be given to Daisy as an appreciation of her Father.

It would have to be all the same size and color. If we planned on using a 8 1/2" x 14" piece of white paper, folded in half, I can make it work. I know that sizes outside the US may be different, but the paper would have to be cut down to that size. We would need at least 50 contributions. We can also put in photos, etc....

Thoughts?

We would also need a good photo of MM that I could put on the cover.

Bill

I drink decaf. You're stuck.
Black with cream will work.

Carl Weissner translated Bukowski into German,
and so began Bukowski's fame in Germany.

Read what Bukowski had to say
about Weissner here:

Dougherty: What would you say has been the most important and substantial correspondence that you've been engaged in?

Bukowski: Letters to Carl Weissner. I felt that with Carl I could say anything I wanted to, and I often did.

Dougherty: Is there anyone today to whom you write letters of comparable length or energy?

Bukowski: No.

http://www.poetrycircle.com/index.php/topic,226.0.html\

i posted a handwritten letter by mr. weissner a few weeks ago in the "ebay find of the week #2" thread. he was responsible for translating buk into german in the 70's and making him an internationally known writer(while still relatively unknown in the states).

edit: yea, what father luke said...

If everyone wants to write a page about what Montfort meant to you, or a drawing, etc... I'll bind it into a BSP style hardcover book to be given to Daisy as an appreciation of her Father.

(. snip . )

Thoughts?

Bill I think it's a wonderful gift in memoriam.
I suppose all of us together may be able to find
an appropriate picture for the cover, and I am working
on something to write.

Thanks. You got real class, Sir.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

We would also need a good photo of MM that I could put on the cover.

This is one of the few candid photos that I've seen of MM in the later years. This was in one of Scott from AP's ebay auctions. He said it was taken earlier in '08. Probably not ideal for a book cover, but I thought I'd share it anyway in case anyone missed it.

Attachments

• Montfort 2008.jpg
    Montfort 2008.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 313
Hi,
Yes, anything is fine. This is a tribute. I am not editing anything, just sending it as it is sent to me. There is no wrong way to say thank you and goodbye.....

I am not an artist or poet, but I'll write a page or two.

I need about 50 pages to make this nice. Write a page or two, whaqtever is fine. If I get 100 pages, that is fine. It can just be a page saying "Thanks for all of the memories".

Bill

Hi,
8 1/2 x 14 is legal size paper. If you do not have any, I can send you some, of you can buy a couple sheets at Staples for a few cents a piece.

The paper should be at least 20lb paper. If it is too thin then there could be a problem, but thicker is fine. If you wanted to use thick stuff, I'll bind that in too.

It should look like it was assembled from across the globe, so even different color papers are fine. The only thing is that the pages are no smaller than 8 1/2 x 14.

That being said, if you are submitting only one page, there is no reason that you could not use a letter size page, and cut it down to 8 1/2 x 7, but the finished product needs to be taller than it is wide, or it will go in sideways.

Also, please leave some space around it as I will have to trim the top, bottom and right sides slightly.

Bill

he came to an art show of ours some years back. here's a pic. (he was very taken with mjp's buk poem in a beer.)

show9.jpg

He was such a genuine person. very gracious and sweet. he will be missed very much. we are fortunate that he has left us with such incredible images.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back