Mickey Rourke - still playing Hank? (2 Viewers)

:DLAUGHING OUT LOUD. I think I saw that other guy at an AA meeting once, wait-that might have been THE AA meeting.
Oh Man, this thread just gets better and better. Thanx!CRB:)

Well, there is a picture of me somewhere on buknet, somewhat hidden.

Oh I printed that out a long time ago and have it hanging up...Oh I said too much. :rolleyes:
Yes the wine glass in your face and a fabulous babe at your side. Mr. International Playboy extraordinaire. We keep a file on you, buddy.;)

There was a programme interviewing Rourke aired in the U.K. a few weeks ago. I watched it. Just curious. Knowing he played Hank in Barfly. And to be honest, I was surprised to seem him, many of his characteristics reminded me of bukowski, but then, so many old drunks on any old corner of any old street in any old city, could resemble those archetypal qualities.

Interesting enough, was Rourkes childhood, it seemed to contain a LOT of violence, perhaps even murderous violence. He didn't go into too much detial, he didn't want too, but it was obvious he had endured a lot of hardship. Interesting guy, for an actor.

It would be great if one of you wonderful folks could get a link to that interview. Thanks Olaf.

I heard something about his childhood, like that, a while back too.

Thanks for the links Olaf. I watched all four parts. I didn't know they banned people from countries. Mickey Rourke got banned from Great Britain. That is not a good thing. He's not a bad guy though.

Yes, but John Lennon was allowed to enter the U.S. , although they harassed the shit out of him. I got the impression Mickey Rourke can't even enter Great Britain.

There are plenty of people they won't let into the US. The bans between the US and UK (and probably every other country) go both ways, usually related to drug charges in your home country.

I can't listen to, or watch, a Mickey Rourke interview, but I find it hard to believe he'd be denied entry to the UK, unless it was for some felony-related reason.

It was hard to hear him in the interview- he's too cool to speak up. It sounded like his ban had to do with a movie he was working on about the IRA. You are right it wasn't easy to watch but he's not the worst guy in the world, not yet.

Denied entry for a movie role? Sounds like a bit of self-aggrandizing B.S. to me.

I don't think he's the worst guy in the world. Far from it. That title belongs to G. W(tf?). Bush, who - thank the sweet, merciful baby jesus - is about to become unemployed.

Way down inside this long blog about Mickey is something about him upsetting the British. Mickey Rourke

This little bullet about his timeline 1989>
-1989 Provoked controversy when he disclosed that he had donated part of his fee for playing St Francis of Assisi in "Francesco" to the IRA; two members of the British Parliamnet demanded he be barred from entering England and his films be banned

Similar, but slightly different report:

A controversy over Rourke's political beliefs also developed when he claimed that he had donated part of his salary from the 1989 film, Francesco, to the PIRA Provisional Irish Republican Army [although he later backed away from that statement and was never banned from entering the UK]. In 2006 Rourke voiced support for the Republican US President George W. Bush.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Mickey_Rourke

Maybe he should be banned for the second, 2006, bit. ;)

I knew you were going to say that.

He has turned down some great movie roles like Pulp Fiction and Rainman plus many more. With his history of questionable choices his W Bush choice is no surprise.

NYTimes Magazine Bukowski

Not sure I've posted this in the right place, but there was an article about Mickey Rourke recently in the New York Times Magazine, but I was surprised the author didn't mention "Barfly." In today's issue, a letter to the editor appeared which points out this lacuna. Here's the letter.

Attachments

• scan0110.pdf
    87 KB · Views: 322
I just saw a piece on M. Rourke/ The Wrestler on E! network(no, not 'me' watching per-say, my Old Man has some weird fascination for this program)- Any-Hoo, they briefly covered his film/boxing carreer. Siteing boxing and the resulting issues as the reason for his 'drop out' of film. They recapped his films, without mentioning Barfly....
which led me to think about this... when Rourke was cast as Chinaski, a lot of people had issue with it, Bukowski being one of them. But if you look at Rourke NOW, he fits the Bukowski/Chinaski 'look' better than ever! It's weird, like the movie with M. Rourke as lead should have waited until he got his ass & face beat to all hell?...Karma(?)... how seriously DID Rourke ingest the persona of Chinaski?
Yeah, it's a stretch, but it is interesting to consider. CRB:)

I saw Mickey on the Graham Norton show.

He talked about the early years of his career; how he thought it was about the craft and found out it was a lot more about the business. He spoke of the ensuing disillusionment and downward spiral leading to the ring.

Yeah...I'd say in the early years, he had a lot in common with Buk, and most likely has a lot more now.

legmanla: are you here to contribute to the discussions on this forum or to find threads that intersect with topics on your blog? you can put a link to your blog in your signature, rather than peppering the site with links to various posts.

i should add that the content you're linking to isn't bad, but keep in mind that many members of the site here maintain blogs, and if we all did the same thing, it would get out of control pretty fast.

also, it is interesting to see how certain people will stop posting entirely when they get admonished for posting excessive links to their blogs - let's hope you're not one of them.

Rourke "rapped" on a Bowie album in the late '80s. I have it here, hold on........

"Shining Star" from Never Let Me Down, 1987.

not a very good song. or album. but I remember liking "Time Will Crawl."

I had a huge thing for him. I found out he owned a dive bar with his brother in South Beach. Hung out with his brother and he finally showed up. They were crazy fun! We all got really druunk in the middle of the day. He ended up upgrading my hotel room to the penthouse and stayed the night. Unfortunatly he passed out.

legmanla: are you here to contribute to the discussions on this forum or to find threads that intersect with topics on your blog? you can put a link to your blog in your signature, rather than peppering the site with links to various posts.

i should add that the content you're linking to isn't bad, but keep in mind that many members of the site here maintain blogs, and if we all did the same thing, it would get out of control pretty fast.

also, it is interesting to see how certain people will stop posting entirely when they get admonished for posting excessive links to their blogs - let's hope you're not one of them.
Well alright brother, my bad then. Kind of like the first time in prison, don't know the unwritten rules. Now the LA Times ran a dull piece on Musso and Frank the past weekend, and Bukowski's bartender ran the same story he's told time and again of calling him a pimp, but the lazy hack didn't push for a fresh quote. But I ain't linking since I got schooled. And a charming, short clip of Bukowski laughing, embracing two bimbos is running in a segment on 70's van culture. That on a hipster blog of all things ironic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back