MJP's Interview about Bukowski.net (1 Viewer)

esart

esart.com
Founding member
MJP was recently interviewed by The Madness of Art, a blog by writer/journalist, Darren W. Miller, out of Savannah, Ga. about the empire that is Bukowski.net.

I swear I am not just saying this because of who MJP is to me, as it is just a damn fine interview. It would get anyone to read Bukowski and want to check out the party over here without a doubt. Please check it out. You will be proud.

good stuff, boss.

but next time, make sure my name is in all caps. thanks.

seriously, very nice interview. you done Bukowski proud.

Yes, it was a good read. Well done. Of course "...or ridiculous Black Sparrow junk like books consisting of one poem wrapped in a fancy hardcover made specifically to sell to collectors." struck "A raw nerve dangling out in a dust storm" for me, as I've always been rather fond of my New Year's Greetings, but vive la difference. And it wouldn't be a thorough mjp interview without including something a bit abrasive, now would it? ;)

Good interview. I guess I'm going to have to look up this Bukowski fellow and see what all the hubbub is about.

Of course "...or ridiculous Black Sparrow junk like books consisting of one poem wrapped in a fancy hardcover made specifically to sell to collectors." struck "A raw nerve dangling out in a dust storm" for me, as I've always been rather fond of my New Year's Greetings, but vive la difference.
I was thinking more along the lines of the Burn Again Press stuff. The new year's greetings were made in sufficient number that getting your hands on them is a realistic goal.

I thought I veered well away from the abrasive until I mentioned Uncle Howard. ;) I do so hope he reads that.

Great interview! MJP made some valid points about Bukowski, Black Sparrow Press, book collecting (and Uncle Howie! ;)) etc. Well done, MJP!
(I found a minor error though. The Movie, "Crazy Love" was not Danish but Belgian.)

"He's like a raw nerve dangling out in a dust storm."

Now that's a beautiful quote, Michael. Great interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You esart and mjp. A truely excellent interview. I was surprised though, that when asked about his collection, mjp did not mention the various aromas wafting up from the pages. ;)CRB:)

(I found a minor error though. The Movie, "Crazy Love" was not Danish but Belgian.)
Gah, figures.

I was surprised though, that when asked about his collection, mjp did not mention the various aromas wafting up from the pages. ;)
I forgot to do some binding sniffing. I could have said that when I open the doors of the bookshelf I smell pizza and honeysuckle, but I didn't think he'd understand.

You are all far too kind, thank you.

yeah, this is my favourite bit:

There is humanity there, as I mentioned earlier, and humor. And those things are really in short supply in much literature. That is what Bukowski offers to readers willing to dig into his mountain of work. I think for everyone who finds Bukowski there is a different experience. Some are happy with the myth, that's what they are looking for, others appreciate different aspects. One thing I have learned from the forum members is you can't gather them all under one umbrella. Every kind of person you can think of is in there, and they all have their own reasons for appreciating Bukowski.

Great interview! MJP made some valid points about Bukowski, Black Sparrow Press, book collecting ............... ;)) etc. Well done, MJP!

Waffles -pastries same diffrence. Close enough, good job Mr. Phillips.

I remember when smog.net was the bukowski place on the web. That seems like a long time ago.

mjp in the article said:
Believe it or not, the entire Internet used to be based on the philosophy of freeing the world's knowledge and data and making it available to everyone. But, you know, that was a long time ago.

Well, yes. Okay.

nice interview, mjp. that whole notion of bukowski only be suitable to alienated teenage boys really irks me, too. i come across it so often and i just wonder if people who think this have read more than one bukowski work.

...and i just wonder if people who think this have read more than one bukowski work.

You mustn't discount stupidity or the mainstream internet-one-time-read-and-it's-clear-he's-a-drunken-mysoginist concept.

To those with the loudest voices, it's often the spoon-fed junk that they swallow like a spoonful of honey, not knowing that it's peddled by like-wise fucktards. Thanks to the internet, we have everything; a world of facts, and a duststorm of idiots who think that their cock will look bigger if they agree with what they read on the god damn interwebby thang.

By all that, I meant that it's more than likely that they haven't read any of it.

Great interview. Loved it.

The pretentiousness that consumes so many poets, so much poetry, is nowhere to be found.

Absolutely love this line. It is so true. But it is also a lie. Bukowski was pretentious in the most down-to-earth, comical, and human way. He was what pretentiousness has always been lacking: approachability (in terms of the written word), a tour-de-force of important and understandable Sincerity.

Bravo, Mjp.

I believe in sharing knowledge. Believe it or not, the entire Internet used to be based on the philosophy of freeing the world's knowledge and data and making it available to everyone. But, you know, that was a long time ago.

Nice interview mjp. In the spirit of Buk you strew out thoughts here that seem off the cuff, but which have have been acutely well thought thru. That makes things easy for the interviewer.

I thoroughly agree with the quote above and Buk.net is one of the best examples of the "free spirit philosophy" surviving on the net. Seems to me there still are glimmers of hope for the net.future, and buk.net is part of that hope.

Oh, and thanks for all the "free knowledge"!!! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back