most overrated albums... (1 Viewer)

The guy who nominated LA Woman as an overrated album seems to have just flat out attacked the Doors and Morrison. He wasn't asked what is the most overrated band! What about the other 5 Doors albums? Is LA Woman overrated? Yeah I think so, despite a couple of classics in the title song LA Woman and Riders On the Storm. The first two Doors records are great, classics. The only two weak Doors albums are The Soft Parade and to a lesser extent LA Woman.
Anyway, I think Led Zeppelin IV is a bit overrated, it may very well be my least favourite Zepp album. And Nevermind is a touch overrated, I tended to listen to the other Nirvana albums more, including Incesticide.

well, soft parade and la woman are my two favorite doors albums.

but there's no accounting for taste - yours, not mine. :DD

anyways, i just posted it cause i thought some of the shit they said was funny.

Lol, typical, I should have known something like that would happen! They're the least weird Doors albums imo, I just like the weirdness.

Coyne: "For me, Bleach and In Utero are superior." I agree with that.
Coyne: If you think you're going to hear an utterly original, powerful and freaky record when you put on Nevermind, as a young kid might, Christ you're going to be disappointed. You're going to think, "Who is this band that sounds just like Nickelback? What are these drug addicts going on about?"

FFS! That's harsh, holy shit! :eek: :DD

A writer with a limited attention span. If I grew up in the last 30 years I would probably have one too. There's no time to listen to an entire album...

Ok, way too long a response, on to the next post before my phone vibrates...

Lol, typical, I should have known something like that would happen! They're the least weird Doors albums imo, I just like the weirdness.

true about the weirdness factor - when i was younger i liked the weirder stuff. now that i'm an old man i like the straighter stuff.

I know many people think L.A. Woman is The Doors best album and that The Soft Parade is their weakest album. I think L.A. Woman is a great album and The Soft Parade is the one I like the least although it does have a few songs I like.

The concept of being overrated is, unfortunately, not underrated. It used to be that the sole purpose of internet blather was to reveal someone as a hypocrite. In those seemingly halcyon days, at least you knew where you stood. Now, it's all you can do to determine whether you're hip or passe. Or, more likely, both.

Based purely on a sales metric, almost everything has a tipping point. As far as taste, who can say?
I do think that all things TED are pretty fucking ridiculous, to veer a bit.

I have to say that NWA Straight Outta Compton is pretty darn overrated. To me that signified the down turn in hip hop towards aggression for the sake of aggression. Before that there was always a poetic edge to rap and even battle rap. Only a propos because of the movie that just came out.

But I'd disagree with @Purple Stickpin insofar as calling something out as overrated isnt always only blather. In principle at least, there's value in iconoclasm - Bukowski for example was great at saying 'all these idols that people uplift ... are false idols. Dig the real stuff instead' ... of course, he also MADE real stuff, unlike these critics who criticise without creating. So ... maybe I'm just rambling and not disagreeing with Purple after all :rolleyes:

You can agree or disagree; in the end, it either matters or it doesn't. What matters to me is personal and that's how it should be. But that doesn't preclude an argument, Oh I'm sorry, that's next door. It's being hit on the head lessons in here.

Duran Duran's Rio - it's good... but not that good.:wb:
Credibility is in the eye of the beholder isn't it. Sometimes the harder a band tries to have it, they don't. Just doing what they want, without an eye to the critics, the acclaimed album arrives and as long as their fan base stays with boys between 15 and 40 (but not too many; size is everything) instead of girls between 8 and 15, they're half way there.

It's like John Travolta :
1.Young and had it in spades - but didn't know it.
2.Knew he had it, tried to keep it - lost it.
3.Didn't give a rat's ass anymore, though it was long gone - there you go, it's back.

As The Dude would say...

2015-09-05-15-18-32--1261113178.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back