Movie: The Guitar (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Recently saw The Guitar, produced and directed by Amy Redford, spawn of Robert.

Funny thing about this movie, I wasn't really feeling it, and I fell asleep about half an hour into it. Then the next day I watched it from the beginning, and really liked it. Enough to watch it again with the director's commentary.

So, highly recommended.

theguitar.jpg

(That song that plays automatically at the site - which is very annoying, by the way, whoever designed that thing - is an integral part of the movie, but it comes at the end, so if you're thinking, "Man, I can't watch this movie if that kind of jangly noise is going to play all through it!" be not afraid. The tone of the movie is very different from the tone of that song.)

Funny thing about this thread, I was reading it and I fell asleep half way through it, than I woke up and it was like a cruel nightmare brought to life!

...but mjp is fond of chick flicks, it's not a secret ! Next time he will create a thread devoted to Confessions of a shopaholic !

I've neither heard of it nor of her (Redford's daughter), I don't think it is released in France yet. It seems cool. The story reminds me very much of My life without me, a beautiful film from Isabel Coixet with Sarah Polley (and Debbie Harry as a loving mother and grand-mother...it's so strange to see the ex-Blondie sexy singer now playing a quiet grand-mother) :

Last edited by a moderator:
...but is it a chick flick?
I don't think so...not in the "man rescuing woman (or vice versa) in an unrealistically romantic fashion after a series of tragi-comic missed opportunities" sense anyway.

It's really kind of a fucked up movie. Fucked up and funny and cool. I could tell you the story and you'd go, "Ah, sounds good," but giving any of it away would detract from watching it, I think. Best to go into it without any preconceptions.

...snip a funny zinger......

I've neither heard of it nor of her (Redford's daughter), I don't think it is released in France yet. It seems cool. ....snip...snip...

It is not a priority since it does not involve Jerry Lewis, Jackie O. or smoking. France does look down it's nose about America......and I'm listening to French music right now.:cool:

France does look down it's nose about America
I'm sorry, I don't understand the meaning of that sentence.
He is referring to the specially outfitted motorcycles that drive around Paris scooping up dog shit because Parisians refuse to clean the shit of their dogs from the public sidewalks. Why? Because they enjoy the smell of shit, and the sensation of stepping in it. So you see? "Looking down the nose." It should make sense now. It has to do with dogs, restaurants and shopping on holidays.

Last edited:
Now I need to see the movie The Guitar just because of all of the static here.

I thought the French considered Americans to be barbarians, although I do pick up all of the shit from all of my dogs.

I was listening to a CD that came with a Martini gift set. It's considered cocktail music and even the french music is pleasant.

Don't' forget My life without me, Gerard !

I thought the French considered Americans to be barbarians, although I do pick up all of the shit from all of my dogs.
Not only the French !

cocktail music
I didn't even know it existed.

He is referring to the specially outfitted motorcycles that drive around Paris scooping up dog shit because Parisians refuse to clean the shit of their dogs from the public sidewalks. Why? Because they enjoy the smell of shit, and the sensation of stepping in it. So you see? "Looking down the nose." It should make sense now. It has to do with dogs, restaurants and shopping on holidays.
If I had to chose between stepping in a dog shit or watching Confessions of a shopaholic, I would chose the most thrilling thing of the two, i.e. stepping in a dog shit.
By the way, when will you create the thread ? What are you waiting for ? We all want to know if you've inserted these Confessions in your chick flicks top 10.

I don't see these motorcycles anymore ! There must be some, but not as much as by the past ! People here do pick up their dog shits ! They have a fine if they're caught leaving the shit in the street.

The French also wear berets and ride bicycles with skinny loaves of bread sticking out of the handlebar basket as accordion music plays.

And the French are causing a traffic chaos here because they're coming over all the time, France is only 15 minutes away. I'm threatened, close the border! HaHaHa.

And apparently they believe that a female lead makes a movie a "chick flick." They are an entertaining and quaint, though ultimately inconsequential, people. whose only contributions to the world have been malaise and ennui. Oh, and throwing rose petals under the feet of the Third Reich as they strolled into town and took over. How could I forget that.

They don't even make good bread. Have you had that skinny loaf bicycle basket shit in France? It's like eating a thin tube made of bone with an unidentifiable chewy goo filling. Really. You would think that a people whose entire diet consists of bread, cheese, wine and cigarettes could get at least one of those right. Even their great tower is still unfinished. Look at it, it's just a metal frame. In New York, Los Angeles - or even Canada - that thing would have been finished 100 years ago.

But, you know, this is getting off topic. The movie that is the subject thread is better than France. If you were thinking of going to France, see this movie instead. You'll have a better time, and even if you end up hating the movie, it will be just like you actually took the trip to France: you'll feel angry and as if you just wasted your time...

And apparently they believe that a female lead makes a movie a "chick flick."
And apparently you believe that I consider The Guitar as a chick flick. Haven't you understood that I was carrying on the zinger introduced by Gerard ?

Something puzzling : Nobody has mentioned the frogs' legs we French are said to eat nights and days. I've never tasted them and it won't be possible anymore since I turned vegetarian. But some friends told me it's like chicken.
Voilà voilà

i'm reading this thread while eating lunch - a cheeseburger and freedom fries. go figure!

What is wrong with my sentence ? The noun "zinger" ? The verb "introduce" ? I'm lost and I don't like that feeling, grrr !

He kidnapped my smilies once again ! They were not giggling ones ! My post sounds cold without them, grrr !

"Zinger" is an odd word. Usually used in this way: "He told her he loved her, screaming out her name "Jane" and realized that it was really Sally. That was a real zinger." Meaning an atrocious error in judgment. An excessive something of some kind. Usually erroneous. Or something like that. I'll go look it up.

Sorry. That was all wrong.
Zinger:
1. "A witty, often caustic remark"
2. "A sudden shock, revelation, or turn of events."

OK, I guess my example would sort of fit #2.
Qu'est-ce que c'est "un zinger" en francais?

Thanks David ! I thought "zinger" meant a joke done to someone in order to tease him (in french = une vanne ).

I think France is cool, I would love to visit and I don't want to see any movies about French guitars or whatever MJP is selling.

I will say even though the French love rock'n'roll they play it dreadfully-but cute girls galore there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back