The Wrestler - Mickey Rourke movie (1 Viewer)

BODY HEAT, RUMBLE FISH, DINER, POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE, ANGEL HEART, SIN CITY, THE PLEDGE, ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO, PRAYER FOR THE DYING, 9 1/2 WEEKS.
Right. Well I don't consider any of those to be really good movies, so now what? Come on, Angel Heart? Rumblefish? 9 1/2 weeks?! Jesus christ.

Like I said, maybe his wrestler movie is astounding, I haven't seen it. When I do, if I like it, I'll admit he's been good one movie. ;) But if he starts mumbling or whispering - and I've never really seen him do anything else - I doubt I'll be able to finish it.

It's just a personal distaste for him as a public figure. I don't like that I am aware of him. That I have to know he exists. It bothers me. He's a clown, and not even a cool clown, like The Joker (who he's apparently trying to mold his face to resemble).

But what do I know.

Johnny Handsome and Homeboy were good movies. but he definitely mumbles and whispers. The Wrestler is very good.

and I'm pretty sure most actors, like politicians, are self indulgent twats to some degree. but you have to be, I suppose. otherwise you wouldn't get up on stage for everyone to stare at you.

Yes, I suppose they are. But it's such an important job, who can blame them.

Homeboy rings a bell, but I don't think I've seen Johnny Handsome.

You know, except when I look in the mirror!

Get it? Get it?

Never mind.

The Academy/Oscars weren't going to give it to MR anyway. I haven't seen the movie, but want to. While I'm not a huge MR fan, I think he did a bang-up job in Barfly. A damn fine job.

And I haven't seen this year's big winner either. I do, however, find the Oscars fascinating.

Makes me think of Scorsese with Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas (then finally winning with The Departed) "” and a list of other notables that didn't win best flick (director, or other nominations that seem a bit more obvious today) "” The Color Purple which lost to Out of Africa; and didn't (TCP) win any statues...comes to mind.

Voting must be fun, for those who do it... And Mickey certainly wasn't on anyone's A-List, for sure. Save for a few chihuahua's. If he lives long enough, he'll get the Jerry Lewis award...

Pax

Last edited by a moderator:
you seem to know quite a bit. some folks like thumbsuckers and silverman and some don't. i guess that is why there is a choice out there.

I like Barfly a lot, but I think MR overdid in places. Like the way he walked, as if he just shit in his pants. And the wounds on his knuckles was a bit too exaggerated, I think. All in all, it was a good movie though...

my ignorance has paraded around here often. don't confuse a few facts with knowledge. ;)
homeless....i was actually responding to a very angry carnivore. sorry if it sounded as if it was directed at you. mr carnivore is sounding pretty hostile today. perhaps he should go and see 'slumdog millionaire.' to cheer himself up. or maybe he just likes being angry.

Never wear A-1 sauce as cologne or perfume around here. Unless you really want to see what's going on...

(Would Bukowski have called cologne: scented toilet water? :eek: ;))

Pax

This is so sweet. buk babe had to do a bit of reading to draw out all of that Thumbsucker and Silverman info. Now you've exposed the soft under belly of the great carnivore. Good job on that.

I didn't know we were in a war. I wasn't.

I voiced my opinion and it didn't agree with yours, which apparently made you think I was "angry." I don't know if everyone who disagrees with you is classified as angry. I, however, am not.

I am opinionated, and unfashionably passionate about some things. Mistaking that for anger might suggest some kind of low level Asperger syndrome or something. You might want to get that checked out.

Peace.

Like I said, maybe his wrestler movie is astounding, I haven't seen it. When I do, if I like it, I'll admit he's been good one movie.
No prize on this one. Just finished watching it, and good lord, anyone who calls this a Rourke "comeback" - or even acting - should have their eyes and earholes (and maybe brain function) checked.

Watching Rourke in this movie is like watching a potato with a really bad weave and creepy Howard Hughes fingernail claw things. It should have been marketed as a horror movie. I'm not kidding - what are those monstrosities at the ends of his fingers?! I'm going to have nightmares about those.

The story is predictable, and again, Rourke can't act because he can't move his fucking face.

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch and yawn. I nominate it for the Palme d'Bore.

Ha ha. Well, don't blame me when you can't get the image of Rourke's weird claws out of your mind...

You never noticed them before? They are strange, but he's always had them.

No, never noticed them (thankfully).

They were very shiny, his weird, fingertip-covering Howard Hughes nails. You know, for a wrestler. ;) That's what drew my attention to them in the first place. Kind of like, "Oh, those are pretty...ack! What the hell?!"

g_mrourke_spl124114_001.jpg

Money and fame and you can get ANY girl....

Bill

No prize on this one. Just finished watching it, and good lord, anyone who calls this a Rourke "comeback" - or even acting - should have their eyes and earholes (and maybe brain function) checked.

Watching Rourke in this movie is like watching a potato with a really bad weave and creepy Howard Hughes fingernail claw things. It should have been marketed as a horror movie. I'm not kidding - what are those monstrosities at the ends of his fingers?! I'm going to have nightmares about those.

The story is predictable, and again, Rourke can't act because he can't move his fucking face.

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch and yawn. I nominate it for the Palme d'Bore.

really??? i thought rourke was AMAZING in this, i totally believed him in this role. the way he moved, his gestures, the way he looked, all brought to mind the wrestlers we used to watch as kids. i was genuinely moved by his performance.

i do, however, think the movie would have really benefited from ditching the daughter and hooker storylines. both were absolutely clichéd and lame.

really??? i thought rourke was AMAZING in this, i totally believed him in this role. the way he moved, his gestures, the way he looked, all brought to mind the wrestlers we used to watch as kids. i was genuinely moved by his performance.
Really? I guess he had to cultivate some convincing gestures since he can't move his face anymore.

The whole thing was contrived, not just the daughter and titty dancer bits. Did anything happen - even one thing - that you didn't see coming? Okay, maybe the fight with the staple gun and barbed wire. I didn't know that kind of thing went on. But that's really out there, they didn't invent that. And had I known it existed, yeah, you could have predicted that he'd end up there.

One thing I don't like about a lot of entertainment, movies especially, is that there is no subtlety. They hit you over the head continually with every point they want to make, because they assume their audience are idiots. "Yeah, okay, I get it, washed up wrestler, stuck in the 1980's." You don't need to blast 30 seconds of shitty Sunset Strip crap metal every ten minutes to remind me.

Really, most movies are contrived and stupid. But great actors can take you out of the stupidity. Rourke - again, he's never been much of an actor. And now that his face is mostly scar tissue, it's really painful to watch him try to act.

Maybe the movie wasn't a piece of crap, I don't know. A lot of people liked it. Carol liked it, and she was sitting right next to me, so I know we saw the same movie. ;) But to hail the movie with awards or say that Rourke did something extraordinary - you'll never convince me of that. I trust my eyes, and my eyes saw a potato in a dirty wig.

I trust my eyes, and my eyes saw a potato in a dirty wig.

while the script was predictable, I thought Rourke was very good.

but the potato/ wig comment is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. and apt.

Mickey we hardly knew ya...

I've liked Rourke's apparent spirit of rebellion in the past, and his willingness to take on off-beat roles. (I agree that he MUMBLED his way through Barfly, though he made some moments work, but had little sense of the meaning behind Bukowski's words or the right voice inflections...) Now he seems too eager to please, and I find it hard to look at him because of the dramatic restructuring of his face and the constant botox injections or whatever... I scarcely recognize him or his personality, and the outer and the inner no longer seem to match and that feels false to me - a total reversal of his once proud, honest spirit... Through the wonders of science, he's doing that because what he craves is now is apparently more on the surface: the money, the adulation, the roles, the woman - trying to enjoy it while it lasts, with the help of his surgeon general, but at the sacrifice of something real inside that was behind some of his other performances. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. On the other hand, if it helps keep his sex life alive, prevents him from falling into the depths of his own insecurities, or going broke financial before the threat of oblivion - I'm all for it. ;)

[...] you can't get the image of Rourke's weird claws out of your mind...

Haven't seen them by now, but think I'm used to worse sights.
Have you seen the fingers of my own Bukowski-actor in the late 90s? He's got gout. His claws are as ugly as one can ever imagine. Still he was my first joice for the part of Chinaski.

[...] Did anything happen - even one thing - that you didn't see coming?

I don't think, things coming that you didn't expect, makes a great movie, nor do I think a movie that has a story-line without real surprises is necessarily bad. It takes more than that, to be a good or bad movie. (of course I'm talking in general here and NOT to advocate this Rourke-movie, which I still haven't seen.)

The problem is that when nothing unexpected happens, stories tend to fall into a handful of basic "templates" (didn't the Greeks say there were only really seven different stories? ;)) Once you've seen all those templates dozens of times, it becomes less likely you'll enjoy seeing one yet again.

Music is the same way. I was talking to (flagrant name drop ahead!) Mike Nesmith's son recently and he said he tries to turn his father on to new bands that he's excited about and his dad says, "Eh...yeah....well, I've heard that before. So and so did the same thing back in such and such year..." I had to laugh because that's what happens to you after you've been around for a while. Everything just reminds you of something else. If you saw Led Zeppelin play in the 70's it's hard to get worked up over the latest band of 20 year olds to come along and walk that same path.

---

Thanks to our friend the internet, here are the seven basic plots: Overcoming the Monster, Rags to Riches, The Quest, Voyage and Return, Comedy, Tragedy, Rebirth.

[Wrestler spoiler ahead!]

The Wrestler would fall handily into the "Tragedy" category, which is defined as "The terrible consequences of human overreaching and egotism." It could have been "Rebirth," but he chose to die in the ring rather than get the girl.

[...] and his dad says, "Eh...yeah....well, I've heard that before. [...]

that's something that happens in EVERY generation, in Every art, in Every thing.
The ancient Greek have made a topic out of that, as you know. (that's 2500 years ago.)
All possibilities have occured before, in One or Another form.

I didn't follow or even read the 'ART'-thread, so I dunno, what's been discussed there. But I think there is No use in defining art through the question: 'Is it NEW? Has it NEVER been seen before?'

Reading Bukowski's stories or poems, I don't expect new subjects or new styles.
I know his subjects (and they suit me) and I know his style (which suits me well).
But reading Bukowski gives me something.
And this 'something' doesn't depend on being 'new' or 'never seen or heared'. In fact, it's so far from that kind of thinking, I ... - stop here.

sorry.

Which may be why Bukowski hooks in most readers when they are relatively young, and is dismissed by many people who encounter his work when they are not so young...

is there a photo progression of rourke anywhere? i can't make the guy in barfly match up with the guy in the wrestler... it's too weird.

I'm not sure if i "liked" it, but it was not a bad movie and I thought Rourke did a good job. That's hard to admit to since I have a little personal problem with him -- he owes me money!

Finally saw it this past Sunday. I found it quite entertaining. Very predictable and all that stuff, but hey I'll watch a movie with Marissa Tomei raking the leaves for 5 hours if she ever makes one like that.

Cable is playing the hell out of this movie now so I watch bits of it at a time. Brutal is the best word to describe all but the part with Marisa Tomei dancing.

what are those monstrosities at the ends of his fingers?! I'm going to have nightmares about those.
I just came across this, vis a vis Rourke's weird fingernails:
Clubbing, or nails that curve down around the fingertips with nailbeds that bulge is associated with oxygen deprivation and lung, heart, or liver disease.
Another great mystery solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back