New Ecco paperback covers (July 2014) and new collections (July 2015) (1 Viewer)

Above now out in Deutschland

u1_978-3-10-402426-4.jpg u1_978-3-10-402427-1.jpg

a few days ago Roni tells me and Absence due out next June, in Fischer Klassik.

9782246803270FS.gif

And finally, Sunlight Here I Am

4158274.jpg

due out from Feltrinelli in Italy next month:

and More Notes of A Dirty Old Man from Grasset in Paris, but don't know which of these two covers will prevail: I don't like the idea of a Pulp imitation however...

51xTrrGuncL._.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say much at this point, but the books are happening. The first one, which is already done, should be out sometime this year.

Ugliest covers ever. Thematic collections is a mistake. But no Martin editing is great news. Will it be enough to make me want to own these books?

there are a very few people who'd be able to do thematic Buk-books in a proper way. cire is definitely one.

btw.:
what will the themes be?

there are a very few people who'd be able to do thematic Buk-books in a proper way. cire is definitely one. [...]

I wonder whose idea that was. Saying it's a bad choice is not a knock on him. It just seems like not the best way to organize previously unpublished material.

Ugliest covers ever.

"in house" graphic design can be a dangerous thing.

they could do an open call for artists to submit designs and choose one.

but then someone "in house" would have to choose it.

Writing, drinking, "love," and one more to be determined.

I'm not getting that from any direct source though, so they could all be wrong. They make sense though, if you're going to force Bukowski poems into thematic collections.

Which is still a mistake (despite the recent thematic collection from our own Hosh), but in the scheme of Bukowski-related mistakes in the past 16 or 17 years, it's not the worst one that's been made.

The important thing is the integrity of the work, and I'm confident that Abel wouldn't compromise that.

[...] the integrity of the work, and I'm confident that Abel wouldn't compromise that.
I'm glad you can state this despite ... things ... between you both.

You do know (and He does) that I always felt terribly sad when two of the most important and honest Buk-researchers in the world fell apart like that.
(I'm not saying this to try to get your forces together again. Just stating how very miserable I feel about such a loss of ... well ... what we once had.)

As far as research is concerned, you do him a disservice to mention us in the same breath. I'm just an opinionated punk with a website.

The only time I ever set foot in a college is when one of my bands was playing a gig. I leave the academics to the academians. I have enough trouble just remaining upright and remembering to pay the landlord every month.

[...] college [...] academics [...]
that's why I've avoided to use the term 'scholar'.
The word 'researcher' captures it and applies for the both of your.

(of course his efforts to track down primary sources have been uncomparably bigger. Still both of you are - and this is what I was talking about - important to unearth and spread new information about our man.)

Can't say much at this point, but the books are happening. The first one, which is already done, should be out sometime this year.
The new books have been pushed back. Not my call, obviously. The first ones will come out in 2015. If everything goes according to plan, the first collection will be on writing. Good news is, the book on writing will have previously unpublished correspondence only.

Good to hear about the new poetry coming out. I was wondering whether the stash was exhausted. I read a late interview (2010) with Carl Weissner the other day in which he suggested that all of Buk's stuff had been published.

As to Ecco, I quite like the reprints and new books that this company is putting out. I like the feel of the books. I reach for them over the Black Sparrow versions. They're more bendable than the Black Sparrow editions. And because of that, they feel more like pulp books that I'm not worried about bending the backs of as I read them.
While I was hoping for a collection of poems, I much prefer the concept of unpublished correspondence about writing to that of poems about writing.
I love the books of correspondence.

As to Ecco, ... I like the feel of the books. I reach for them over the Black Sparrow versions. They're more bendable than the Black Sparrow editions.
My thoughts exactly. I know BSP books are printed on a better paper but I like the books to be easy to handle & read. I have only one paperback BSP edition of Reach for the Sun and it looks great but it's so stiff and (was) hard to open and underline (I like to underline the great parts with pencil). Ecco books paper is thinner and of poorer quality but they're much easier to handle (and underline) while reading and I buy books to read in the first place.

No idea. I think that bio was written quite a few years ago, and nobody bothered to double-check facts. "He began writing poetry at the age of thirty-five." Sure he did!

thanks for the heads-up, cire. To be honest, the cover-design isn't really my style (at all). But it's the content that counts and this will be breathtaking I'm sure.

Do we have an official date for publication?

We may all be dead by August.

It's still a lot of dough for a slim book of letters. But hopefully the poems and prose will follow.

Ah, something to read on vacation next week...AND I only just got my hands on Dangling too. Mockingbird, Condition & Night Torn are the only poetry collections I don't have. The completeist in me wants them. The realist in me says to not go there now that I've learned my lesson in re John Martin.

Burning is great. I've got very little Buk on me but I think Burning is where he pays homage to the Webbs in his introduction.

I also love Roominghouse Madrigals, that's a great selection of stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back