New from Chance Press! (1 Viewer)

one important thing i'd like to add, that jordan didn't mention:

the covers for these are gocco-printed (gocco is a form of miniaturised screenprinting), and this is only our second project using this print method (the signature envelopes in the buk.net chap were printed this way, too). it's not perfect-looking and there are a number of individual flaws on each cover - ink bleeds/clots/lifiting/smudging. the photograph on the website is one of the cleanest prints we produced, but most do have what i would call moderately significant flaws. but that's part of the nature of gocco-printing (we could have just colour laser printed if we wanted perfection).

-justine (not jordan)

Yes, the beauty of Gocco is that each one is different.

I want to get one, but have not had the funds to plunk down. I'd insist on the largest one and they are expensive. Plus, the screens are a bit expensive if you do not live in Japan.

I still remember Tom Kryss printing rabbits in Cleveland a few years ago. In about an hour, he printed a couple hundred of them. They made great book covers.

Bill

i just posted this on our site to warn potential customers... looks like justine and i have the party line down pretty well, since i was writing this at the same time that she was writing the above post:

Please note: Due to irregularities in the 2-color printing process, the printing on the front cover of the copy you receive may not match the photo. Of the 60 or so covers we printed, we discarded the worst offenders, but there are still some covers in the print run that don't have 100% color separation between the black and green sections, or others that don't have 100% ink saturation throughout the entire printed area. This is part of the allure of handmade books, in our opinion - that no two are exactly alike. If we wanted the covers to look absolutely perfect, we would have printed them on a color laser printer; instead we chose a process (Gocco) that lets the reader enjoy the tactile quality of the ink printed on the page. Still, the perfectionists in us are not totally satisfied with the result, which is why the price of both editions is significantly lower than what we would normally charge for a book like this. Please be advised of the above before ordering.

bill, at this point in time buying a gocco is not a good idea. riso is no longer making the supplies (bulbs, screens etc.), and due to scarcity the prices have sky-rocketed (see ebay).

I heard that Riso was selling the rights to a US company. You are right, there would be nothing worse than buying a $500 "toy" and then realizing that I cannot afford the screens and bulbs.

When will an American company see the potential in this product?

I hear that almost EVERY household in Japan has one and they use it for napkins, cards, etc.... Maybe that is the problem with Riso. Maybe they have sold them to everyone and there are no more customers left? Still they need supplies.

Plus, these screens and bulbs can be made by anybody. There is no patent on screens and bulbs. Shit, they still make mimeo stencils in Mexico, but not Gocco screens?

Something is wrong here.

Bill

only one deluxe edition left!

the deluxe editions have been slow to ship, because we ended up making them much nicer than our original idea. each deluxe edition features:
-Rives BFK cover pastedown and textured card wrappers
-Rounded corners
-Mini-chapbook (hand-sewn) with fancy cover paper- each one is different
-Color photo tipped into the front cover

seriously, i can't think of a better way to waste $20 than on this book! (plenty of trade editions left as well, btw.)

photos are here: http://chancepress2.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/luigi-serafini-photo-gallery/

I received both editions yesterday, and they are a joy to behold. If a little intimidating - an obsession made concrete like that. I look forward to sitting down and reading it. I read the web version some time ago (and got to briefly look through the Codex itself when Jordan and Justine were in town), but I need the bonus tracks. ;)

So much great stuff comes from the patrons of this grey on grey joint, sometimes it's disorienting...

the guy who wrote the piece is actually a really cool dude. as mentioned in the article, he helped me out a couple of years ago: i had a project i was doing for the print class i was taking (remember? the one that started all this?) and was using the codex as the subject. his early article about the codex had mentioned he'd gotten a friend, a professional translator, to translate calvino's introduction to one of the editions. when i emailed him requesting a copy he got back to me immediately and gave me the translation - no hassles at all.

only 5 copies of the serafini chapbook left. we've been selling almost one of these per day, so if you are interested you probably have about a week to get one.

... Shit, they still make mimeo stencils in Mexico, but not Gocco screens?

Something is wrong here.
Years ago I heard they are still making obsolete makes of American cars in Mexico -- was it Keisers and Studebakers? -- so mimeo stencils make sense. This news makes me want to pick up an old mimeo machine (and bring back the 60s in all its glory)

it's pretty boring...
I beg to differ. I think it offers up as much insight into the writer (Jordan) as it does to Serafini, and that makes it a must-read in my book.

Knowing what drives a man to write such an exhaustive opus on a book hardly anyone has heard of tells you a lot about him.

I beg to differ. I think it offers up as much insight into the writer (Jordan) as it does to Serafini, and that makes it a must-read in my book.

Knowing what drives a man to write such an exhaustive opus on a book hardly anyone has heard of tells you a lot about him.

mjp: you've got me all the more eager to read it (my copy is in transit). At an edition of 50 copies, this will become a rare book about another rare book, which is an appealing thing in itself for book geeks.

we're pretty surprised how well this is selling - a lot of people have either bought copies on ebay or found us by searching out the codex and bought copies subsequently. when we made it, it was more of an experiment - just a book to keep us busy while we waited on stuff from steve or emily robinson for our other two projects. we thought we'd sell 5-10 and leave the rest in bookstores in the zine section on consignment, so we're pretty happy that it looks like both editions will sell out at some point in the near future.

I'm halfway through the Serafini chap. nicely done. it's great that a book done by a still living author and in several different editions creates such passion in people. I looked up some of the images from the Codex online. very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back