New from Chance Press! (2 Viewers)

mod request- can we split off the stuff about the hines chapbook and make a new thread for it? i don't want poor hoochmonkey to become a mere codex coda.

Got my copy of the Serafini chapbook last night and wanted badly to read it but had to fill out insurance papers (never any fun and when it's over 100 degrees...). Nice cover. The color bleed of a little black into the green ink just adds to the hand-made look and isn't a detraction. I love the miniscule writing of the limitation number in green ink. Charlotte Bronte couldn't have done it any smaller. Written by a fly using a single hair?

I love the miniscule writing of the limitation number in green ink. Charlotte Bronte couldn't have done it any smaller. Written by a fly using a single hair?
When I glanced at the limitation page I thought I'd received a blank. I should know by now to get out the loupe for CP stuff. ;)

Wait until he gets his hands on a 0.13 Rapidograph. Then it's all over.

that's actually what i've been using lately... the problem is that if the page has any texture at all, the nib is so small that it just gets clogged up with fibers from the paper. so i've had to write a little bit bigger in the serafini and hines books than i could if we used smoother paper.

Yeah, those Rapidographs are great, but you need a smooth surface. I tried using them on some coated stock once and even the larger points would clog up after a few strokes.

Believe it or not, they actually had Rapidographs back when I was in college, which was like 40 years ago. And paper and ink, all that stuff. But I still think a fly wrote it, with an eyelash.

Read some of the Serafini last night and more at breakfast. Great stuff.

so, there are still two of these left, DESPITE the fact that the website says they're sold out. we got a batch back from a store where they were on consignment, and we've sold through a couple of them, but they're not completely sold out... yet.

the trick will be to get the last one - as the person who bought the last common thread will tell you, there is a secret benefit to being the one responsible for one of our projects selling out entirely.

THE THREAD THAT WON'T DIE! THE BOOK THAT WON'T STAY SOLD OUT!

so, this book has become somewhat of a calling card for us outside the traditional small press circles, and the first printing was too small for us to be able to distribute more copies as the years wear on. THUS, there will be a second edition released shortly in smart looking covers, and it will be 95 copies large, which should last us until we can't stand the sight of this book anymore.

20 of those copies will comprise our first ever hardcover release, which is exciting. teaser shots below - we will offer them for sale in about a month, when they are all done.

4331361797_9491ca7dbf.jpg

4331360535_9f0622b7aa.jpg

Believe it or not, they actually had Rapidographs back when I was in college, which was like 40 years ago.

god i hated those things. we used them in high school art class and
called them "technical pens". always clogging and the line stopping.
i think r crumb used them in the movie. i remember seeing him do
the "technical pen shake" to get it to work.

..."technical pens". always clogging and the line stopping.
The wrong paper and ink can make working with those a nightmare. But with the right paper and ink, there is nothing else that comes close. There is definitely a technique to using them. You need a different touch. But once you get in the groove...watch out!

thanks bill - of course due credit goes to you, since i was sitting there with a copy of "HER" trying to get my version to look right.

RE: rapidographs, i still haven't tried a koh-i-noor, which uses an ink reservoir. mine is a rotring, which uses a pressurized ink cartridge instead, making it much more user friendly. you don't need to clean it out as much, and as long as you do a little writing once a week, it doesn't clog. and the smallest size will probably be on one ink cartridge for ten years.

i want to try some other sizes, but i can't draw for shit, so there's really no reason for me to own them except to do tiny lettering.

"a common thread" was numbered with a micron 005, but that was because mjp hadn't opened my eyes yet to the wonder of rapidographs. you can do SO MUCH MORE with a .013 than an 005.

I bought the first edition of the Serafini book and liked it so much I have to get the second edition. Did I read someplace it's been expanded? Hold a copy for me, please.

the deluxe of the 1st edition had a mini chapbook that was just more stuff from my blog (stuff that i barely debloggified), and i added it as an addendum to the 2nd ed. i'm all for everyone buying the 2nd edition, but we're really talking about 3 or 4 pages of stuff that's already online (and will stay online, unlike smog.net), so keep that in mind while sorting out your finances. that being said, CP's first hardcover will be wildly valuable someday, so there's that.

And I was turned on to this style of binding my my friends at Lead Graffiti.
ahh, the originators... http://leadgraffiti.myshopify.com/products/a-little-geste-by-daniel-hoffman

But those 3 or 4 additional pages will be in that second edition forever, after the Internet has gone poof in a cloud of postapocalyptic dust. Speaking of which, none other than THE NEW SCIENTIST is warning about what they call Digital Doomsday. The gist of it is that printed, physical books and records last thousands of years but digital information was never designed for permanence and degrades and becomes inaccessible in a few years. Scientists are worried that we will descend into a new dark age as all books and journals go electronic, while the economy continues to collapse, while peak oil reduces our ability to do anything and everything, while global climate change wrecks havoc. So it's not just us binding sniffers who have doubts about eBooks. I'll probably buy the second edition...

ahh, the originators...
I'm quite sure I've seen that boards-on-cloth-spine a few times before, going back many, many years. So maybe they are not the originators. Not that it matters, outside a small society of binding sniffers, freaks and glue heads...

Jordon please reserve one for me as well since I missed out the first time.

Bill took me to visit Lead Graffiti and it was really impressive, Jill and Ray were incredibly nice and the print shop was great, I had to keep the drool from spilling out of my mouth. Those folks do some really beautiful work, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back