Next Bukowski to read. (1 Viewer)

The Pop up menu is feeling neglected. So I thought I'd ask: what Bukowski should I read next. Like many I guess I saw the BBC Bookmark Documentry and the footage of Hank drunk on French TV made me want to discover more. I've read in order: The Most Beautiful Women In The World, Notes Of A Dirty Old Man, Post Office, Women and Factotum. I want to save Ham on Rye but what next? Suggestions please.

Agreed. Start with the early poetry, THE DAYS RUN AWAY LIKE WILD HORSES OVER THE HILLS or MOCKINGBIRD WISH ME LUCK.

The short story books, South of no North and Hot Water Music might be up your alley. I saved the poetry for last myself, as it seems you're doing (or maybe you're avoiding it? heh), and I'm glad I did.

Short stories: South of No North

Poetry: Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame

But if you really want to be entertained then by all means make your next book one of his collections of letters (Screams From the Balcony). Unbridled passion & colour. Shows plenty of heart & anger. Often breaks out into spontaneous poetry. Very re-readable.

Get some poetry. "Burning In Water/Drowning In Flame" is a great collection. "What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire" is also rewarding. Don't forget "Dangling In The Tornefortia" and "Mockingbird: Wish Me Luck".

Those would make excellent starting points in any literature class that I taught !

whence my name

I also recommend "Dangling in the Tournefortia," especially for the poem "night class" about a drunk-driving class full of morons which ends with the discovery of Bukowski being the only one to have scored 100% on the recent quiz:

"I slouch back in my chair
with my dark shades on.
I am the class
intellectual."

:D

I'd go with the novels. Read those or the short stories first.
Theres no right time to read Ham On Rye because it goes through such a huge part of his life. I would say read that...or Notes of a Dirty Old Man
If you read the poetry...I'd start with the early stuff...like most of the ppl before me stated.

read
Mockingbird Wish Me Luck
or
The Roominghouse Madrigals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back