On Writing (1 Viewer)

So there I was doing my usual trawl of Amazon (along with other online shops) for Bukowski work when I stumbled across this.
ir

Anyone know anything about it? It is to be released by Ecco books next year.

The last thing they put out was The Continual Condition (five years ago), which was also thin and skimpy, so the days of the 400 page Bukowski book could be over.

Smaller portions of stuff are OK (for me) if the price is right, but this one is too high (for poor me).
I guess I'll wait for a paperback edition and a drop of price in a couple of years (as usual).

P.S. Yes, I'm a cheapskate. Sue me.

[...] wait for a paperback edition and a drop of price [...]
can totally see your point. I have not one BSP-reading-copy in hardcover.

(but that was the 90s, when there wasn't even an amazon and importing English books to Germany was an expensive task anyway. Of course, meanwhile it's my "job" to have the books as they come out. So I can't wait for a softcover to enter the market.)

I have not one BSP-reading-copy in hardcover.
That makes two of us.
You aren't missing anything. I have regular old late-printing copies of all of the BSP hardcovers, but I never pull them down to read them (when I was tracking all of them down years ago Abel said, "Why do you want those?" and I said, "I don't know."). I always reach for the paperbacks. The hardcovers just sit there on the shelf looking important.

The books are nice to look at, but the words are the thing, yeah?

That makes two of us. 8-))

That makes three of us. I do have two BSP hardcovers (later printings), but I always read the paperbacks. Now, I´m wondering why I bought those two hardcovers in the first place, but I think it was because I wanted to see what they looked like after many people here had written highly of them. That said, I would´nt mind having one of the signed and numbered copies with the drawing of the little man with the bottle, but they're unfortunately too pricey for me.

"He was raised in Los Angeles and lived there for over fifty years..."

I guess the copywriters at Ecco don't know that San Pedro is in Los Angeles.

"there is plenty of obsessive repetition here, perhaps partly because of the [...] nature of alcoholism."

From The Telegraph:
A guy who calls himself GraveDave wrote a comment and figured out the true acceptation of Charles Bukowski:

"Other than Post Office (probably the most disciplined thing he ever wrote), most of his output was made up of small volume poems and short stories, usually about getting drunk, fighting, and s c r e w i n g w h o r e s.
He was vastly overrated..."

I don't know how you even found the comments under those 300 ads and paid links...

But that's some deep insight on display there, calling the article an "interview" and saying it's too bad he died at the age of 25. I guess people feel compelled to comment whether they know anything about the subject or not.

It's not even a review but just some quotes from the book taken out of context. How disappointing. Well, at least I have´nt seen the second photo of Buk before, so i guess that's something.

Library Journal
Review
June 15, 2015

“Debritto (Charles Bukowski, King of the Underground) sorts through thousands of pages of unpublished correspondence in university archives to bring together Bukowski’s (1920–94) ideas on writing and writers. Arranged chronologically, the excerpts begin with a 1945 reply to a rejection slip from Story magazine and end with a 1993 thank-you note to Joseph Parisi for poems accepted by Poetry. Among Bukowski’s most frequent correspondents are the few magazine editors, small press publishers, and writers he grew close to, including Jon Webb, William Corrington, John Martin, and Harold Norse. Bukowski had high praise for Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Robinson Jeffers, Knut Hamsun, Sherwood Anderson, and John Fante; he had little use for the Beats, particularly Allen Ginsberg, whom he believed abandoned the Muse in pursuit of fame. Always a loner, Bukowski eschewed literary schools or movements. He disliked poetry readings, preferring to work in solitude while smoking, drinking beer, and listening to classical music. By turns, the poet’s letters are humorous, boastful, self-deprecating, and angry at the world, but they are always entertaining. VERDICT Bukowski fans will welcome this new collection tied to the celebration of what would have been his 95th birthday.

Out of perhaps idiotic curiosity, will this be available via the tried and true walk into a bookstore and buy it approach? I was able to score The Bell Tolls For No One from the City Lights website, and I like to buy CL books that way. But amazon, not so much.

Can anybody share their thoughts on what to expect from the upcoming book On Writing?
Just wondering if I should sink the money into purchasing this book.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back