Photo of Buk that I have never seen (1 Viewer)

If it is a Sam Cherry photo it was not taken the same time as the photo on the Bukowski.net home page. His hair is much longer like some of the other photos.

It seems there are also letters to EV Griffith in the book. The intro on the page you linked to says he died in San Diego, so...

I would suspect these are taken from the BSP letters books...unless they dug up new correspondence to Griffiths from the 1950s.

The picture has all the earmarks of a "posed" Cherry photo. I've never seen it before either.

9782246690115-g-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• 9782246690115-G.jpg
    9782246690115-G.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 749
I would suspect these are taken from the BSP letters books...unless they dug up new correspondence to Griffiths from the 1950s.

Both of those letters are from "Screams From the Balcony"

I guess that you are right. These are translated letters that we have already seen. Now to find out where they got that photo. If anyone has it, the photographer should be listed inside the book...

Bill

[...] There is a a German one of this kind too:
--> [...]/Bukowski-Schreie-Balkon-Briefe-1958/[...]

Jo!
I thought you were a loyal friend!
The link to this book is to be this one, dammit:

http://www.bukowski-shop.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=93

As some have said, the style is very much Sam Cherry. The Cherry-photo in 'Days run away' seems different. But maybe later during the shooting he had put the dark jacket aside. Must admit though, the hair does look longer here.

roni - I need to order from your shop. Will do so soon, certainly. Best thing for us all is to keep the coin amongst the people here. One thing I do like about this site is the venue for small press to have its focal point - wasn't here for the smog.net days but believe it was initially set up to venue the small press. Buk had some derogatory things to say about small press but bless his contrarian soul, if not for the small press he may not have had his blessed 1st moment of publication. Stick with those that lay the groundwork, folks. They are the frontline of what matters.

roni - I need to order from your shop. [...]

That's nice of you. But please note, that I'm settled in Germany. It would be useless to order from me to send to the US due to the high shipping-cost. Even inside Europe, I have to take some money for shipping. (Shipping inside Germany is free!)

Buk had some derogatory things to say about small press but bless his contrarian soul, if not for the small press he may not have had his blessed 1st moment of publication. Stick with those that lay the groundwork, folks. They are the front line of what matters.

Yes, but he was the biggest donor to the small press. He sent out his stuff to any small press that asked. He did not need the money and he had the fame. He was a loyal friend and patron to the small press. I cannot think of anyone of his success that continued to send out to every little that asked.

He complained because some small presses are a bit tougher to deal with. Things like typos by the publisher tend to annoy poets.

Bill

My guess is, this is a French collection of letters, mixing parts of "Screams from the Balcony", "Living on Luck" and "Reach for the Sun" together.
Exactly ;). These three letter books have never been published in France, like many others...

I think that is in this one that I read a priceless letter from Hank to a fan.

The fan wrote something like this:
"Dear Mr. Bukowski,
You say you began writing at 35.
What did you do before?"

Hank's answer:
"Dear...,
I did not write."

He did write before 35 - surely? Not much, well there's nothing left to find - but surely he did? Not that it matters. He didn't 'write' anything worthwhile, until 35, is another way to put it.

Like the picture.

I think he meant he did'nt write poetry before 35. He sure wrote short stories before 35 but that's another matter...

Last edited by a moderator:
His answer mustn't be literally understood, it's "just" a witty zinger.

I have found the two letters again in one of my former diaries. Actually, they are taken from Notes of a dirty old man and the fan is called "E.R". But I cannot say whether these are true or fictional letters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back