Playing with Google Maps' Street View (1 Viewer)

pichon64

Not read nor write
I was trying different Bukowski's addresses but can't find this one using Google Maps. My goal is trying to pick a 'Steet View' from this place (you know, that 360° degrees pictures you can watch using Google Maps).

Which address is the one on this picture? :confused:

Any help most welcome! :)

Attachments

• bscap0190.jpg
    bscap0190.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited by a moderator:
It think it's either

5526 Carlton Way
Los Angeles, CA 90028
USA​

or

5437 Carlton Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027
USA​

(Old forum attachment ID is incorrect, see thumbnails.)

Attachments

• Bukowski_Carlton_Way_1974.jpg
    Bukowski_Carlton_Way_1974.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 523
If you look up the Carlton Way addresses on Google street view all you'll see is some new apartment building. You can still see DeLongpre (for now anyway), and Longwood, the rest are rapidly disappearing.

As usual, thanks a lot roni, mjp and hank solo. :)

picture.php

As a humble accomplish, I was able (using Street View) to find this corner:
370 W 6th St, San Pedro, CA. Yeah, using the 'Beach City Grill' as a reference.

It looks pretty much the same as it was on 1993. Well, I believe this picture is from 1993.

As a humble accomplish, I was able (using Street View) to find this corner:
370 W 6th St, San Pedro, CA. Yeah, using the 'Beach City Grill' as a reference.
Odds are they are leaving SENFUKU, their favorite Japanese restaurant, which is right next to Beach City Grill. Linda still favors SENFUKU (we had dinner there with her and the reading DVD producers, Jon and Dennis), so if you want to stand a good chance of finding her on a trip to Pedro, start there. Contrary to urban legend she does not (nor did Buowski) drink in any San Pedro bars.

Speaking of that fucking shithole Beach City Grill, we ate there a few times when we moved to San Pedro, until carol got a hamburger bun with a paperclip in it, and the owner insinuated that she put it there herself for some reason. We didn't go back. Don't go there unless you have good dental insurance.

lol I hope that was 1993.

Hi, Gerard! I capture it from the dvd... it isn't 1993? The documentary doesn't specify. :confused:

Hey, mjp, you're always adding those interesting details! Nice! :) I found Senfuku right there. Err... virtually speaking ;)

Now I'm really dangerous ;) I'm using a screen capture software...
Here's Senfuku and the corner mentioned above (earlier). Please, forgive my obsession with Google Maps. :)

picture.php

picture.php

How about the DeLongpre apartment? Last time I tried, I couldn't even locate the address on Google maps (or was it Yahoo?), let alone get a street view. It said "no such address" or something like that. I'd try again, but that takes more time than I have for what I used to call "fun."

Nice work, you guys.

Hi Rekrab! Try De Longpre. I'm not sure if it's the same avenue, anyway. I didn't go further than that.

(brief pause)

Ok, I'll try later. I have to go now...

wow! this 'Street View'-option seems to be a real blast!
I'll have to try it.

ps to anybody who doesn't have (or want) any additional software to make screen-caps:

there's a way to do it with 'on-board'-tools:
1.: push [Alt] + [Print] on your keyboard at the same time. this brings the current window into your clipboard.
2.: from there you can easily paste it into any 'photoshop'-like software or (if you don't have any) even into a Word document.

My sister in law moves in with us from time to time- for about 9 or 10 months a shot. The neighbors hate her 1976 brown corvette. "Oh it 's a classic" They are polite about it but it's a curse. When google completed their street view there it was in front of my next door neighbors house so all of their friends and family will see it when they map theri drive. But it's a classic. It's a brown turd.

Hi Rekrab! Try De Longpre. I'm not sure if it's the same avenue, anyway. I didn't go further than that. [snip]

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Maybe it's a spelling thing. I'm waiting for them to give us the super high resolution images on Google Earth. Then I'll scan all the forests of the world looking for Big Foot and secret UFO bases. If I have the time...

Nice. I mean De Longpre. Doing the 360 makes you feel like you're almost there. Okay, mjp, confess. How many hours did it take you to find that second street view?

That important research was performed by someone else. It must really be going around though, since Google blurred out her face. It wasn't anonymized like that when I first saw it.

that's one of the things that seperates me from some other people - i have a HORROR of LOSING things or people or memories.
so i ALWAYS save such things. unfortunately, i'm too much in disorder, so i not always can recall WHERE i've saved something. especially not after i put it on a backup-CD and deleted it from the HDD. but i still know - it IS there.
i even keep All emails, i even keep a diary. i'm sick.

Using Google Streetview and Timeline

I've spent part of today plugging addresses from the Timeline into Google and using the streetview feature to somewhat of an idea where Bukowski lived. I know the times have changed and seeing is not being there, but from an apartment in Grand Rapids, Michigan it's the best I can do at the moment.

My sister in law moves in with us from time to time- for about 9 or 10 months a shot. The neighbors hate her 1976 brown corvette. "Oh it 's a classic" They are polite about it but it's a curse. When google completed their street view there it was in front of my next door neighbors house so all of their friends and family will see it when they map theri drive. But it's a classic. It's a brown turd.

Was doing the Google Street View thing myself on Buk's residential addresses and then found this thread. Off topic, but re Corvettes, the chrome bumper C3 models are the true classics. Here's my 1970 454 manual convertible. (If they came to Oz before they were 30 years old we had to convert them to RHD.)

[Dead photbucket image.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back