Poem with the words "the crow flies far..." (1 Viewer)

You sure about that? I don't recall anything like that. Bukowski rarely wrote about crows, and never about a crow far from home. Not in a collected poem, anyway.

How about the Genius of the Crow?
biggrin.png

You sure about that? I don't recall anything like that. Bukowski rarely wrote about crows, and never about a crow far from home. Not in a collected poem, anyway.
Yes, I'm sure. He talks about a crow flying far from home, and something about an iris...then he talks about his daughter running across the room...this second part may not be from the same poem/quote, but it's another part I am trying to find the words to.

he talks about his daughter running across the room...this second part may not be from the same poem/quote, but it's another part I am trying to find the words to.

This one?

ANOTHER ONE OF MY CRITICS

Charles Bukowski in: intrepid ANTHOLOGY, 1976

(ed. Allen Deloach)

https://web.archive.org/web/2020/https://bukowski.net/database/detail.php?WorkNumber=4215

staring at this sheet of white paper
I begin to think that some of my critics are
right.
she walks into the room again and looks at
me.
"blubbermouth," she says, "hello, blubbermouth."
I ignore her.
she reaches up and tugs at my beard.
"hey, when you gonna take that mask off?
I'm sick of that mask."
then she goes to the bathroom
and with the door open she sits on the pot.

@mrsrentschler: None of the phrases you remember, 'the crow', 'Lexington', 'an iris' or 'his daughter' ring true of any poem I can think of or find reference too; neither can any of the other members it seems.

Where did you read or hear these poems? Book, magazine, internet, DVD, audio clip?

Solo - thank you. None draws a draft from you I feel better. Less wear on my thumbprint. I do try to answer these questions in spite of my success rate.

Perhaps he wrote words that made you think of crows. I think of crows quite a bit too but the medication has helped and I feel like I'm far from home. "Caw caw caw!"

Of course I've always suspected that Black Sparrow is a crow reference because of the way John Martin looks like he's far from home.

try ted hughes maybe .. i dont know .. if its not te right one , you will surely find a good poem using the crow as a point of subject

@mrsrentschler, if you read this one shiny day, grab The Wormwood Review No. 38 (1970), flip through it, check page 41 with a poem titled Down Like Stairways, Up Like Smoke--.
They're all there: a crow, an iris, the daughter that runs across the room... the lot.

Or read it here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back