Poets of the World! $50,000 is in the pot! (1 Viewer)

"The cost of an entry is between $10 and $20..." which means that as few as 2,500 people could enter and cover the $50k prize. So I wonder what the "anonymous backer" stands to lose? Seeing that there are about 90 million "poets" connected to the Internet, it looks more like a profitable scheme to me. To "give away" a prize made up of other people's money. Judged by some random artistes they found on the Internet.

You know, I hope someone here gets in there and wins all that money. That would be lovely. Seriously. I just hate prizes and competitions and awards in any kind of creative field. Grammys and Oscars and all that self-congratulatory bullshit. The god damn rock and roll hall of fame. THIS IS A PRIZE WINNING POEM. Right. Give the monkey a banana. Give the monkey something shiny to play with so he doesn't look around at what's really happening and fling his shit at us.

THIS IS A PRIZE WINNING MONKEY.

No offense. Carry on.

Give the monkey a banana. Give the monkey something shiny to play with so he doesn't look around at what's really happening and fling his shit at us.

THIS IS A PRIZE WINNING MONKEY.

are you making fun of me? that seems a bit mean spirited, I must say.

I thought about that too, but since there are many writers who would like us to read their stuff when they appear on Buknet, I think that this as good as anything.
Why not? One poem, no postage, no paper.

are you making fun of me? that seems a bit mean spirited, I must say.
You told me to call you monkey...I though it was our "thing"?
Why not? One poem, no postage, no paper.
One poem and $20. That's why not. I would advise any novice poet to avoid submissions that they have to pay for. It's a bit like sending someone in Nigeria $500 to claim your millions.

To me.

I think that $20 would be better spent on lottery tickets if it's $50,000 you're after.

But again, that's just me.

It seems like I'm the naysayer in every thread I post in lately. I might need to just calm down for a while. Go have a banana. If only they didn't make my mouth itchy...

no, I agree. I don't like to pay to for submitting. ever.

and I don't buy lottery tickets.

[...] which means that as few as 2,500 people could enter and cover the $50k prize. [...]
Seems like a good way to make money.

Back in the days, when I thought, it should be easy to have a Bukowski-museum, I said to myself: Get only 1,000 people out there, who'd be willing to pay 100.- bucks for this purpose and Bukowski Has his museum. It never happened. Not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back