• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Post Office - 1 of 50 (1 Viewer)

i was wondering if this was gonna get brought up or not.
my guess is around $8500, since you can pick one up on abe for a little over $11,000. it doesn't have the usual spine fading, or at least not as bad as most...

It'll be interesting to see if the economic crisis will influence the price or not. Maybe the very best items like this one will not be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
That much?! You think?

I was thinking (in this market) sub 3K.

I think the seller made a mistake not having a reserve and starting low.

i was thinking the heavy, heavy hitters would show up for this one. plus, a few weeks ago, a Post Office signed hardcover (1 of 250) sold for, if i recall correctly, over $2000.

Please no-one bid on it as this will be "my precious"!!! Leave it alone - delete this thread!!!!!

I promise you can come and visit it!!

Just throw me a friggin' bone on ths one - PLEASE!

You'll be lucky - I hear one of the newbies is a shoe in to have this one on her shelf :rolleyes:

I bid on it, but even at $565 I cannot afford it. Pity as it is worth at least $5k even in this economy. Expect, in the end for the winning bidder to swoop in at the last minute. Then you can expect to see it listed by that very same bidder on abe. My guess is that someone like Derringer Books, Abandoned Planet, Jeff Maser, James Musser will end up with this. Just a hunch.

If it sells for $600, I'll hit myself in the nuts with a ball-peen hammer.

Bill

If it sells for $600, I'll hit myself in the nuts with a ball-peen hammer.
If it goes for $600 - I'll let you hit me in the nuts!!!

I am also expecting bidding in the last 5 seconds.

That's the way with ebay auctions - no-one wants to show their hand until the last possible opportunity.

i was expecting around $3000 unless one of the usual players shows up at the last minute. i was going to start a thread called "i know where buk collectors will be on Friday afternoon" (or Saturday morning for you Aussies).

the art is pretty crappy in this one (i think), but it's so rare that i don't think it matters much.

Yeah, it's not a striking painting is it?

But, then, I've never seen a B painting that was really great.

I actually like the art. But then again, I'm not an artist. Or anything resembling an artist.

Though maybe it is the book that accompanies it...

Being an artist has nothing to do with liking art. If you have eyes, you're an art critic. Anyone who tells you that you need to be able to do something to criticize it is full of shit.

Being an artist has nothing to do with liking art. If you have eyes, you're an art critic. Anyone who tells you that you need to be able to do something to criticize it is full of shit.

This is true. And I don't often feel that I need to be talented in something to criticize... but some art is different. Not all art. Shit around a painting... now THAT'S art. No criticism possible.

i knew when i typed that that it would open up a can of artistic worms. but what i meant was, even within the context of bukowski's art, none of which i really like, this painting kinda blows. now, mjp's copy of war all the time has a good painting. and the painted copy of ham on rye that musser has. those are a far sight better than this one, which seems like he dashed it off in order to finish the run of 50. still better than the open all night print, but so are most things.

I'm keeping my lips sealed on this one Hank Solo...but I hope I hope I hope.

I think as it's such a rarity, a real treasure, that it may have been a mistake for the seller of this one to risk it on ebay.

But who knows - hopefully both buyer and seller will be pleased.

I do wish I had the dough though :o

I think as it's such a rarity, a real treasure, that it may have been a mistake for the seller of this one to risk it on ebay.

I think he took the risk knowing it would fetch the right price (thousands of dollars). I've seen it done many times on other buy/sell sites and usually they get the right price. But there's always the risk that the right people miss the auction. On the other hand, hard core collectors rarely miss anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
If what people are saying is true, its out of my league but I'm going to try it?? We can all get it and pass it around like the Stanley Cup everyone gets a week with it HAHA!

kudos for making a run for it, but I really expect that in the last 1 minute, you will see a couple high end booksellers battle it out. They will probably stop trying at maybe 60% of the abe value, which is a bit overpriced at $11,250. Expect that it will jump to at least $5000 at the end. Maybe more, but I can't imagine any less. Even with the shippy economy, this is the Holy Grail of Bukowski and many booksellers would gladly wait a year to sell a $10,000 book that they paid $6,000 for.

Bill

I can't say that I like Bukowski's art very much, but again...
Linda King had some of the best ones I've seen.

Looks like he painted a P and an O.

Orange line first, then the pink, the blue, the purple and finally the yellow.

I think the price will get up there, but it will still be a bargain for someone, and maybe the cheapest one we've seen in a long time. Not me, unfortunately, but one of you deep pocket fuckers. It would be good if someone other than a dealer got it.

I can't say that I like Bukowski's art very much...
A lot of it is crap. But he could make a good painting. I don't think he put a lot of effort into the paintings for the books. But then I have seen some that were very good. Raw, emotional stuff. Screaming faces, tortured little stick-man bodies...they stand out when you see them.

Don't worry Biette. There are books with much much better paintings by BUK out there for less. 3 years ago I bought a real beauty for 'only' 2000.- [this one] - the book isn't as rare (Hot Water Music), but the painting satisfies way more!

About 4 1/2 hours to go. I predict it will go for between $6,000 and $6,500 at the last minute, and probably to a bookseller who will list it for $10,000 on ABE.

Don't worry Biette. There are books with much much better paintings by BUK out there for less. 3 years ago I bought a real beauty for 'only' 2000.- [this one] - the book isn't as rare (Hot Water Music), but the painting satisfies way more!

Thanks:mad: I'm out of this one but I will keep my eyes out for something else! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back