Postman Shot Dead in USA (1 Viewer)

I wonder what Buk would have said about this fun little topic. I'm sure he would have something along the lines of, "I warned you about *#%&$* like this." Modern America, the land where people shoot people dead about every other day.

Mommy, can I go for a walk and play in the park? No Tommy, Mommy wants you to stay inside. It's day time, you may be shot and killed. OK Mommy.

By Sky News US Team
A 26-year-old postal worker has been shot and killed while delivering mail in Maryland.
Tyson Jerome Barnette was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene in Landover, about 10 miles (16km) from Washington.
Police are trying to identify suspects and a motive.
The US Postal Inspection Service is putting up a $100,000 (£61,700) reward for information leading to an arrest and a conviction.
Prince George's County police are offering a $25,000 (£15,000) reward for help in identifying suspects.
A resident, Paulette Richardson, told local TV WUSA9 that she "knew they were gunshots because I know what gunshots sound like. I started running."
More than 100 colleagues and friends gathered for a candle-lit vigil at the site of Mr Barnette's murder, holding a moment of silence and saying a prayer.
The scene of the crime is 10 miles from the US capital. Pic: CBS/WUSA
One of them, Elton Branson, said: "It's a tragedy and my heart goes out to him and his family.
"I understand that he had a little girl, and for her to go through her life now without her father is just very unfortunate."
Some of Mr Barnette's co-workers said his killing was an example of how dangerous their job can be, and expressed concern for their safety.
Kenneth Lerch, a union leader with the National Association of Letter Carriers, said the postal service is failing to protect workers after it gets dark.
"I'm outraged. I'm more than angry. It didn't have to happen," Mr Lerch said.
"It's bound to happen again if something is not done about it, it is inherently dangerous to deliver mail in the dark."
While it is rare for a postal worker to be killed while delivering mail, US Postal Service spokesman Frank Schissler said it has happened before.
A postal worker was killed north of Houston in May and in 2010 a deliveryman in Miami was shot dead.

Yeah, what happened to that "gloom of night" schtick?

pace is the essence
http://beingsakin.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/pace-is-the-essence/
as the mailman walked up the hill
he laughed
when he saw me.
I laughed too.
“yeah, Harry, I know:
just an old man with a hose
watering the parkway.
you got me…”

those guys think it’s got to be
war
all the time.
I’m just taking a
rest.
when I finally press that red
button
they’ll wish I was
back watering the
gladiolas.

Buk had a good poem about the rash of road-rage shootings that gripped LA in the late 80s or so.
The gist of the poem was that people had suddenly become more courteous while driving.

In case some of you couldn't sleep well for the last year and a half wondering what was the poem Otto jr had been referring to, let me tell you that it's Traffic Report:

here in Los Angeles
on the freeways
it’s like the Wild West
again.
many of the drivers carry guns
but out of it all, something else
has emerged:
far more polite driving habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back