Press = paper. Please read. (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I moved some threads out of this forum that linked to, or solicited submissions for, web-only "publications."

I'm afraid that a MySpace or Blogger page does not a press make. This forum is reserved for people who print words on paper (or other various surfaces).

You will notice a few remaining links to sites in here, but those sites produce printed periodicals or collections.

Thank you for your kind indulgence.

Agreed. I'm so far in the paper camp that I don't consider web only publishing as actually being published. I keep track of all my paper appearances (sort of) but not what I've published in webzines. No list, no bookmarks, nothing. I couldn't tell you what I have out there on the web. Not a lot. Websites come and go. There's nothing there that can last. But a book, a magazine, no matter how limited and obscure -- that can last centuries.

I agree too. You can't hold the web, unless of course it was made by a spider and then it's all sticky and clingy and shi... Support paper (recycled if you got it or made out of elephant dung... it smells like...).

...not to denegrate webzines. I have nothing against them, for what they are, and am happy when I have work in one of them. It's great exposure. But it's just not the same thing as being published on paper, not as good. I had a bunch of prose poems on a website back in the 90s. It disappeared. I have no idea what I had there -- about 20 pieces. Now it's like it never happened. But anything I've ever had printed on paper is out there. It survives. Like those early chapbooks of mine I listed in the "Support The Small Press" section. They were in a box in my mom's house since the 1970s, I didn't even know she had them. She died 4 years ago and my brother found the box. They survived. Paper rules.

I agree too. You can't hold the web, unless of course it was made by a spider and then it's all sticky and clingy and shi... Support paper (recycled if you got it or made out of elephant dung... it smells like...).
this is funny - my letterpress pal allen and i have been thinking of ordering elephant dung paper - found it on the internet of course, i forget where but it's a great idea. and we print a lot on recycled, scrounged, cast off stuff. ink and paper all the way.

In the spirit of full disclosure (and so I won't be accused of being a hypocrit for my above posts in this thread), I have to confess that I have gone to the dark side (it's where they keep all the money) and started publishing ebooks. But I still love genuine books on paper. Really! I do! As proof, can I offer up the story that I spent hours and hours over the past few weeks restoring a trashed 1920 hardcover Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan book, just because it needed the help? Nothing speaks to me like a book on paper (but I'm having fun selling and giving away texts in electronic form). There, I feel clean again. Thank you, padre.

All for paper here. Have published on the web and have nothing against such ventures personally, but the printed word to paper is where it's at for me. Something about holding it in your hands, the smell of it, that crack of the spine...and yes, unlike the web, it lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back