Quiet is relative (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Since people have been saying it seems quiet, I thought I'd look at the forum post stats. Here's the monthly post totals for this forum since it's inception:

bukforum.gif

Here's another forum I run with 671 members (as opposed to the 289 members here):

pimpforum.gif

Less than half as many users and we're seeing a lot more action here. So it may seem quiet at times, but it's always working.

The decline from March is typical of all internet traffic. It's the same every spring and summer. Winter months are always the peak usage times.

To answer your next question, yes, I am a geek.

thanks for the stats.

there's nothing wrong with quiet periods in a forum. In fact, I think they're needed sometimes so things don't get too much out of control...

Hi mjp,
I certainly did not mean that as an insult. I have just found myself addicted to the forum and need my daily fixes!

Best,
Bill

It's so addictive, I'm not getting any work done here at home. I can't post at work (against the rules), which is probably a good thing.

mjp said:
Here's another forum I run with 671 members (as opposed to the 289 members here)

I had a sneaking suscpicion that you were cheating on me
:rolleyes:

So,
Tell me about your mistress,
This 'other one'
As it were....

What's she about?

bospress.net said:
I certainly did not mean that as an insult.
I didn't take it as one. It just got me thinking. I've felt things were slow at other times and on other forums, and I look at the stats and they're normal. Not sure what makes it feel slow at some times...

I think this forum started out way too strongly. I wonder why :D

Anyway, it'll eventually relent down somehow.

Hmm, I disagree. These things rarely die out once they've caught on. I'm certain that it will continue to grow, though maybe not as quickly as it did at first.

Oh, well you threw "relent" in there, duuuude, and to me that means slow down, quit, give up. As long as we're on the same page, maaaaaan, everything is copasetic.

Groovy.

mjp said:
everything is copasetic.

Copacetic? - Never heard that word before. Since english is not my native language, I had to look it up in the dictionary. It seems to be a specific american expression. And by the way, you misspelled it...:)

Or, all four ways; copacetic, copasetic, copesetic, copesettic.

Also, BTW, while we're on the topic, mjp, does your software have the ability to add a spellchecker easily to the "Reply to Thread" screen? I (being a bad spellist) need one, and usually have to pull in my word processor (which is a hassle). Thanks,

SD

Not yet, but the forum software is under constant development, so maybe they'll add spell-checking at some point. I can look for a plugin...

mjp said:
... copasetic.

First heard that word in a Grateful Dead song. Don't remember which one because I never really clicked with the GD. I enjoyed the fact that alot of their fans got high, but the music....it's not offensive, just....uninteresting. But bless all you good folks who dig 'em. You probably wouldn't care for any tunes by UFO or the Michael Schenker Group. And that's cool, too.

I saw UFO in the 70's. Don't remember the year exactly...pre Lights Out. The Grateful Dead - I've never heard one of their songs all the way through. Copasetic!

mjp said:
I saw UFO in the 70's. Don't remember the year exactly...pre Lights Out.

I'm only guessing, but I wonder if you didn't see them in 1976?
Did Van Halen open the show?
I'm also assuming you saw them in the L.A. area?
VH only opened for them once...and the bootleg of that show is titled Eating Schenker for Breakfast because Eddie was out of this world and on top form.
Schenker was usually drunk or engripped by panic attacks back in those days and thus his performances were often flawed.

Speaking of VH, did you ever see them before they were signed by Warner Bros?
They played the Whiskey quite often...and the Golden West Ballroom...and Gazzari's...

'76 sounds about right, but it was in Minneapolis or St. Paul, don't remember which. Everyone came through and played either the Met in Bloomington, or the Civic Center in St. Paul. It could have been the Civic Center theater...I'll have to check on that. I wasn't a huge fan so the show doesn't particularly stand out. I saw a thousand bands in the 70's..

My girlfriend had a rehearsal studio in LA next to VH, so she was around them pre-signing, but the first time I saw them they were third on the bill opening for Journey and Montrose (ha ha).

hey
i recall (sadly) a defunct forum: the sun -
it heated up and boiled over - many blame two individuals
but we all contributed to the demise -
a respite serves this forum - all forums...slow is good - slow allows for oversight...

rrat

I remember e-mailing you about starting a forum, one day, and you had been wondering if a forum would serve any useful purpose.

I'll rise above any judgements to just chime in that I'm glad you set up the Forum.

I really am.

Father Luke said:
I remember e-mailing you about starting a forum, one day, and you had been wondering if a forum would serve any useful purpose.

I'll rise above any judgements to just chime in that I'm glad you set up the Forum.
Oh, I remember. Most of you "Charter Members" helped sway the decision. Thanks!

Well Father Luke was homeless last time he checked in, so it may not be possible for him to stop by at the moment. I would bet that you will see them both around here again.

can you get a breakdown for how many posts each member makes per month?
There could be a prize for the person with the most spare time on their hands ;)

There's no per user breakdown available yet in the stats. You can see a general list of the top posters but finding it is kind of a pain in the ass.

https://bukowskiforum.com/memberlist.php
- Search Members
- Advanced Search
Under "Options," "Order Results By"
- Post count
- Descending order

See, nothing to it. Ha.

Speaking of Father and Brother, we have'nt heard from SamDusky for a while either...:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back