Quotes (1 Viewer)

esart

esart.com
Founding member
Maybe this has been done before. I wondered if there's been a thread of quotes--maybe on a specific subject (writing?)--that can all be "authenticated." None of these nefarious ones that spread around on the web? So I guess the quote, then maybe the citation after it. Or has this already been done here? I guess I should have looked for it. Am I like every other lazy bastard that asks something like this?

It's a good idea, a thread of real quotes.

But it might be hard to manage, since 95% of what people posted would turn out to be imaginary...

Here is one real quote :

We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

p.13 in the biography of Buk by Calonne. Quote originally from Life Magazine, December 1988.

What if, when someone posts a bogus quote--and perhaps in the original, first post on the thread they can be forewarned--that the mods will edit them with strike-throughs so when others read the thread they can see the differences? Just a thought.

We could also make sure they are all cited, like it's a prereq that they cite, and if it's a JM mangle, the mods can come back and show the edits, or just delete them? I'm not sure, but there can be a system.

ha - you're alot nicer than me - i was gonna say - before i read your above - that posting an incorrect quote
should get you banned from the site for a week or a month - that would motivate people to
make sure it's legit.

"Find what you love, oh my wonderful brothers and sisters, then go forth and allow it to kill you utterly dead, dead, dead, like a dolphin!"

Famous Buk quote edited posthumously by J. Martin.

I'm not quite sure, what this is about.
Is it to difame the flying fake-quotes around? But for that we wouldn't need to give real quotes, right? We would need to name the fakes and mark them as such.
Is it to gather any and all real/authentic quotes we can find? Impossible task.
Is it to gather some remarkable (authentic) quotes, that we like and want to share? We have a thread for this, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back