• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

"Recently discovered over-run"? 86'd broadside (1 Viewer)

This listing worries me. They say that this "poster" is 11" x 17". The original is 15.5 x 10.5.

It is completely possible that this is merely a copy of an authentic one. If so, it is easily worth $.50 (That's half a dollar, folks) as a pirated broadside.

If that is the case, you would think that the pirate would have at least done their homework and got the size right.

I would not touch this with a ten foot pole..

Bill

The seller does'nt show the whole "poster" either. The poem is much longer than that...

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is the cae, then I would tend to think that this is real. Maybe he just estimated the size of the broadside for the listing? Still, Overruns are overruns. I'm not sure that I'd pay $50 for this. Also, if this is the publisher and he starts selling them, those of us that have them will see the value drop. Not that they were expensive in the first place, but if this guy has 5,000 of them in his closet, then the value will be about $3 a piece.

Bill

Nitty Gritty was edited by Bill Wilkins. I bet that he's the one listing the re-discovered broadsides...
What gave it away, the w.r.wilkins seller name? ;)

So he'll have a tough sell at $50, drop it to $40, then to $25 - voilà! Another peace amongst the ants! Or Going Modern, or <insert the name of your favorite "once rare, now common" item>.

So he'll have a tough sell at $50, drop it to $40, then to $25 - voilà! Another peace amongst the ants! Or Going Modern, or <insert the name of your favorite "once rare, now common" item>.

Exactly! If he is sitting on 100 of them, expect that they will start selling for $5 in "PERFECT" condition. Then, the ones that were folded as issued will be considered damaged and will be worth less.

I still have an issue that if this is a different size and not folded that it is not an official release.

Creating printer's scrap reminds me of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_invert

I remember when this happened. I thought that it was interesting that people paid thousands of dollars for something, only to have them be deemed nearly valueless. Anyone trying to sell one has to worry that if the government finds out, they will take it. Because of this and because they were not really errors, but printers waste, anyone holding on to one owns a $10,000 curiosity that is wroth essentially nothing.

Bill

The baseball card collecting "field" also applies ridiculous values to printing errors for some mysterious reason. Maybe 15 years in the printing business just jaded me and I don't have the proper perspective to appreciate these things. ;) To me they are just scrap that didn't get caught in the plant.

I'd buy one of the folded worthless copies for a few bucks, just to frame and hang on my wall.

That's an appropriate thing to do to Dirty Dick: punch holes in him and turn him upside down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back