Recipes (or How I'm making my dinner what I'm having...) (1 Viewer)

Justing was asking here https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?2340-What-I-m-having-for-dinner./page21 (and this thread was initially Chronic's suggestion) about potato sald and cole slaw recipes.

First, cole slaw:

You can buy pre-bagged shredded cabbage and julienne carrots and it's pretty good stuff, so it beats doing that work yourself. I do often shred a bit of red cabbage to supplement and/or julienne an additional carrot...

But the main thing is the "sauce." I generally keep a good number of condiments and spices in my kitchen. Basically, I mix all of the following together and then add the cabbage mix to the correct consistency (that is, not over or under-coated and not runny). Runny cole slaw is a mortal sin and shall be dealt with severely.

good-sized dollop of mayo
healthy squeeze of creamed horseradish
spoon of dijon mustard
spoon of honey mustard
spoon of champagne mustard
splash or two of champagne vinegar (this is critical to get that bite, but don't add so much that it gets runny!)
splash of amontillado
ground black pepper
ground sea salt
dash or two of nutmeg
dash or two of celery seed
dash of cayenne

Mix it all up and refrigerate for an hour or two to get everything nice and well set and flavors distributed.

The post window is barking at me, so I'll do the potato salad in another post.

this thread was initially Chronic's suggestion

That's it... blame me. But since you've gone and created this abomination, here are a couple of pretty good recipes for potato salad (not mine, but I've made them both a few times and they're always really good).

Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
Suitable for vegans

Ingredients:
3 large potatoes, peeled
1 large Bermuda onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
3 sprigs parsley, minced
Optional: Buffala Mozzarella ( the little ball shaped kind, for the non-vegans)

Preparation:
Boil potatoes until soft, remove from water, and let cool completely. Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. On a large serving platter, alternate sliced potatoes with sliced onion. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, minced parsley, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Pour mixture over potatoes and onions then toss lightly. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper; refrigerate.

Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

Picnic Potato & Egg Salad

Ingredients:
3 pounds potatoes, cooked until just tender, cubed, cooled
6 hard boiled eggs, cooled, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped celery
thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumber, for garnish, optional

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise (a little more or less, as desired)
1 to 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (French's works fine, Grey Poupon gives it a little more zing)
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
Combine potatoes, egg, onions, and celery. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. (Stir the mayonnaise and mustard in a little at a time, until you have the flavor and consistency you like.) Top with thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumber, if desired. Serves 6 to 8.

Again, best if refrigerated overnight.

#6 - you've gone and amused yourself again, haven't you? :p

Chronic - potato recipes look good and I wholeheartedly agree with the hard-boiled egg in there. And thanks for saving me typing in all my stuff, as it's largely similar to yours.

I would add that a nice dollop of sour cream always goes nicely, and I usually add a handful of freshly-shucked peas (if available) to the potatoes as they finish boiling. Fresh peas take about 5 minutes to boil, but frozen peas are OK and only need the last 30 seconds or so. Canned peas are unacceptable and are worse than runny cole slaw.

Chronic: don't be such a wise ass. Justine: a Bermuda onion is an onion from Bermuda.

Sour cream would be good with the second recipe, but I wouldn't add it to the first since I suspect it would curdle with the Balsamic vinegar.

Oh, I missed that the first one was oil-based rather than mayo-based. More of a German potato salad. I'm a mayo type and while I love olive oil, it has no place in my personal potato salad paradigm.

In any case, I've used sour cream with vinegar and as long as you add mustard and horseradish and other spicy/acidic ingredients first to "acclimate" the sour cream, you can generally sneak the vinegar (most acidic) in later, whisking rapidly. Point taken, however. YRMV and all that cal.

since we are in a potato mood, this is my recipe for corn chowder.
If not vegetarian, fry a few sclices of finely chopped smoked bacon with 2 onions in olive oil. Add water ( not too much), that will make a broth. Cube 4 potatoes, 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery and a small tomato, crushed red chillies, boil until tender. Add 2 cups of shaven corn, cook a little. Add a big chunk of smoked macquerel, a handful of shrimps, a few clams. When done add a big cup of fresh cream, a handful of fresh parsley, and fresh dill, add pepper. Then crush 2 cloves of garlic.
Voilà! If you want a thicker soup, add cornstarch or flour. If strict vegetarian just leave out the bacon. The smoked mackerel will flavor the soup.

here's a great side that's healthy too (except the mayo)

Sweet Potato Fries with Curry Mayonnaise

4 sweet potatoes
2 egg whites
1 tbsp(15 mL) vegetable oil
1tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1tsp (5 mL) ground paprika
1/2tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2tsp (2 mL) pepper

peel spuds and cut into fat french fries
whisk egg whites and oil in a bowl.
add potatoes and toss

Spread on parchment paper-lined baking sheets

Bake in middle rack of 425°F (220°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating until tender and edges are browned and crisp
you can also broil them on the middle rack (cooks faster)

Curry Mayonnaise

1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) light mayonnaise
1tsp (5 mL) lime juice (optional)
1/4tsp (1 mL) curry paste

in small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice and curry paste

dip and devour!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight I made popovers filled with clam chowder.

Popovers -

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk at room temperature
2 eggs at room temperature
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temparature

When all ingredients are at room temperature (this is key), combine in a blender and blend well for 30 sec. Pour into popover tins (you can use muffin tins, but they'll be a bit small. Do not fill each well over halfway; 1/3 -1/2 full is just right.

Bake at 400F on middle rack for 30-40 minutes, checking for over-browning. Mine took about 33 minutes at 395F; must be a hot oven. Remove and cut a small slit in each top to release steam.

Clam chowder

Cook onion in butter until translucent (salt and pepper to sweat onion and flavor). Meanwhile, boil 1 large potato cut into small squares. Add a few sprinkles of all-purpose flour to onion; mix and add light cream and/or whole milk in small amounts until desired thickness is reached. Add tumeric, cayenne, tarragon. Add 1 can chopped clams, potatoes and mix. Add splash or two of amontillado, chives and check consistency. A chopped up slice or two of bacon works well too.

Two minutes after popovers come out of oven, cut off top and spoon chowder into popover in a large bowl; top makes a garnish or treat for the cook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back