reviews at time of publication (1 Viewer)

It's interesting to me that both here and in the Black Cat Review Thread, both stories get the number of Buk's published books wrong. Above, Jack Hirschman indicates that It Catches...is Buk's third book of poetry (publication date: 6/23/63) while in the Black Cat thread, an article published on 7/8/62 regarding the first copy of BCR describes Buk as a "colorful author of three books of poetry."

For the sake of practicality, let's leave A Signature of Charles Bukowski Poetry, Signature 2 and A Charles Bukowski Album out of the discussion. By June 1962, Buk had published the following books of poetry (parentheticals from Krumhansl):

Flower, Fist and Bestial Wail (October 1960)
Poems and Drawings (March 1962)
Longshot Pomes for Broke Players (early 1962)
Run With the Hunted (March 1962).

So, the 7/8/62 article is off by one; I wonder which one?

Hirschman is further off. Leaving aside The Priest and the Matador and Same Old Thing Shakespeare Through Mailer, It Catches was Buk's fifth book of poetry. It was published, not in June as Hirschman's article indicates, but October 1963. Such was Loujon Press, I suppose. But I wonder which books were either unknown or for some reason not counted as "books" in this context.

Review of Ham on Rye by Tom Russell.

Not sure if it ran anywhere or who did the edits. This was in Bukowski's papers at Santa Barbara or the Huntington.

ham.jpg

The Champ: It Catches My Heart In Its My Hands: Literary Times, March 1964 Vol. 3, No. 3.

Note: The Martin collection at the Huntington incorrectly describes this as being in the upper right corner of page 1. It's actually in the bottom left side of page 4.

I bought this item as advertised in POOR condition, but it still had enough legs to capture the good stuff. The review is by Ron Offen.

For the most past, it literally disintegrated as soon as I took it out of the package. There are 2 additional non-Bukowski items that I think are worth including, but I know MJP is running out of storage, so he can decide whether to keep them or post them in another place.

IMG_20190321_0001.jpg
IMG_20190320_0010.jpg
IMG_20190320_0011.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back