The Continual Condition (pre-publication) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
nope, I was not being the subliminal. I meant that only a few members here live in, or recently lived in Australia or NZ...

You'll love the new book.

Bill

I had marmite when I was in the UK back in '93. It's interesting that a nation so known for their cullinary expertise would gravitate to such a foul substance.
(That's sarcasm, folks.)

Imagine if Smucker's made yeasty polyurethane, and you've got Marmite. Great for high blood pressure too. But I imagine it would be desireable for book-binding.

For what it's worth, everything with an asterisk was not previously in the database (so assumed to be previously uncollected), and I thought we had all the Wormwood stuff in there...

*Died 9 April 1553 (could be: D. April 9, 1553 / He Died April 9, 1553)
*thanks for the luck
*my art form
*rejected (could be: The Hell Of It Is To Throw Away Rejected Poems That Seem To Say Something Anyhow Even If Perhaps Not Too Well?)
full circle
*the continual condition
*let's have some fun
*to kiss her long dark hair
waste
*the recess bells of school
the wasted profession
*the strange morning
*feeling good in the new neighborhood (could be: The New Neighborhood?)
*this kind of fire
*unemployed (could be: Unemployed And Shacking?)
tough cob
*the last race
my soul is gone
*the theory
more than ow
*dog times
I might get traded
*faux pas
*about a worried reader of my works:
*the agnostic (could be: Agnostic?)
*a good place
*the legend
*you've seen it on the barstool next to you-
never
a hot sweaty day in August
(could be: A Sweaty Day In August?)
*news item
*comeback
*this flag not fondly waiving
*mannequins
*my answer
under the suckerfish sun
I am chastised

*a fine madness
*A Consistent Sort
the old movie star
*trying to dry out (could be: Drying Out?)
*consummation
*before the 7th race
morning after
*heavy dogs in cement shoes
*down the hatch
tragedy?
listening to the radio at 1:35 a.m.

*perfect silence
mirror mirror on the wall
parts dept.
(could be: The Parts Dept.?)
dear editor:
*Lack Of A Common Interest (could be: A Common Interest?)
*I'm upstairs now
*as Buddha smiles
*what have I seen?
*a correspondent wrote bitterly:
*moving toward age 73:
*I Saw A Tramp Last Night (BOSP)
*Mountain Of Horror (could be: A Horror Poem?)
bent
*The Last Winter (could be: My Last Winter?)
bayonets in candlelight

Well that's good news, thanks for all the info folks...

The end of this year is going to be good for me.

great! thanks for posting the table of contents and all the input from everybody. I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of this. hopefully I can magically get a proof. *hint hint*

I got a chance to read about 1/2 of the book last weekend...the cover was pretty sharp, it's a thinner book than we're used to, but the poems are really there...really enjoyed the heck out of it. Can't wait to read the 2nd half!

Reading books and hitting on my wife when he should have been binding....

Bill

p.s. I can't fault the guy as he read at night after 18 hour days binding....

...and you knew that after 18 hours of binding he couldn't follow through on any play for your wife...

I'm, like, a totally fast reader n' stuff...so, basically, that's why I only finished 1/2 the book...because, after hours at the lash, Heir Roberts gave me a bowl of gruel & a few moments to read.

As for the late-night plays...I admit I was very disappointed to find not Bill's wife but his visiting father-in-law sneaking around in my room at 3am...

Thanks for posting the cover and contents! It'look like we have something to look forward to...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm, like, a totally fast reader n' stuff...so, basically, that's why I only finished 1/2 the book...because, after hours at the lash, Heir Roberts gave me a bowl of gruel & a few moments to read.

As for the late-night plays...I admit I was very disappointed to find not Bill's wife but his visiting father-in-law sneaking around in my room at 3am...

if only that were a joke.... The old man was staying with us and he sleepwalks.

Those aren't pillows....

Bill

First review, via Publishers Weekly:
Sex, self-disgust, horse racing, literary fame and obscurity, delight in foul language ("dry and ridiculous bungholes"), and fleeting but genuine pleasures (from voyeurism to eating a spider crab): Bukowski's many, many remaining fans will find familiar themes in this 12th set of previously unpublished poems to appear since the Los Angeles writer died in 1994. "The god-damned editors don't know anything," he tells "the lady on the couch," and indeed he insists on the life, the meat, of the poems. Short lines dominate this particular cull of verse, with plenty of quoted conversation mixed in; as with most of his work, misanthropy rules, making the flashes of mercy--and of sexual acceptance-shine bright indeed: "I was/ sick and I/turned to look out the/window/ white yellow grease of/ morning/ burning my/eyes./ Next to me in bed/ there she was." The poems may repeat themselves, but they stay true to Bukowski. Few people would want to trade places with this poet for whom "pain sits, pain floats, pain/ waits;/ pain is," but plenty will continue to cherish his unpretentious words.

26 dollars??
Oh I get it, hardcover version.
I didn't know they have printed a HC edition.

I have been reading Condition over the past few days (I saw Martin's unnecessary and obvious college-creative-writing-class mark on the very first page, but I will spare you my typical rant on that painful subject), but it wasn't until this morning that I looked at the back of the book.

Under MARKETING CAMPAIGN they have all the usual shit (including the very exciting "Online Advertising on Facebook, Targeting Bukowski Fans" - how very cutting edge!), but the very last entry is, "Author Website: bukowski.net."

So there you go. I guess we can start calling this the OFFICIAL Charles Bukowski site. ;) You know, according to the wonderful people at Ecco anyway.

For what it's worth, I tend to think that the cover may change. I was able to get a high resolution scan of the poem that is in the background for them, but they still have a very fuzzy 75dpi picture of his writing desk, and I can't see anyone at a professional publishing house saying, "Yeah, whatever, that's fine, just ship it." So we'll see.

For what it's worth, I tend to think that the cover may change.

Probably, because there's no image of it on Amazon...

Last edited by a moderator:
per Cirerita's post of the review:

It seems that noone in the literary establishment or critical camp can compliment Buk without simultaneously insulting him. But overall, a nice sentiment. And to recognize "unpretentious" is right up there.

I was under the impression that bukowski.net has always been the official Bukowski web site. It's nice to hear it's being made official.

I finished reading Condition this morning, and I have to say it left me cold. When it is released we can start a new thread about it, so I won't say more for now.

Except that they changed (typoed?) clotted to dotted in "I Saw a Tramp Last Night." And Martin added one of his suck-ass lines on page one just so we would know who was steering the ship, and...

Well, to be honest, most posthumous collections are not very good to begin with. There are great poems here and there but, as collections, I find them weak. I did not even finish The People Look Like Flowers At Last... and that's the only B. book I have not read from A to Z. I was very busy at the time, and I thought that was the reason of leaving the book unfinished. But then I realized that I had read many B. books on busy times as well, and I couldn't put them down. So either I've grown up or the posthumous collections are below average.

Well, now that Bukowski is gone, and I was the one who re-discovered "I Saw a Tramp Last Night", and I know there's no available MSS of that poem with changes made by B., we should know who changed "clotted" to "dotted." What was the name of that secretary at Ecco, again? :D

Well, I think we know that Martin, and not the secretary added the line, "and blink," to the second stanza of Died 9 April 1553, because it has the same stink as his amateurish changes to Women.

Note to all you "editors" out there: adding your own lines in not editing.

Sometimes I want to kiss John Martin full on the lips, and sometimes I want to kick him in the nuts. Is that Wrong? Ha ha.

I thought you were being sarcastic before, but it actually makes sense to think that the "clotted" to "dotted" change might be a typo. I didn't see that before.

Anyway, I have not read Condition, but I suspect it will be similar to the other posthumous collections. Too bad if that's the case because I think to recall that "Bayonets in Candlelight" was a solid poem (though I read it 5 or 6 years ago), and some of the Wormie selections are (were) ok to me.

Well, I think we know that Martin, and not the secretary added the line, "and blink," to the second stanza of Died 9 April 1553, because it has the same stink as his amateurish changes to Women.

Note to all you "editors" out there: adding your own lines in not editing.

Sometimes I want to kiss John Martin full on the lips, and sometimes I want to kick him in the nuts. Is that Wrong? Ha ha.

"Sometimes the typist gets bored and throws something in", or what was that?

I've read it and thought that it was pretty good for a posthumous collection. Of course, the assumption there is that the posthumous stuff is generally not as good.

I was also glad to see that Bottle of Smoke Press got a shout-out on one of the first pages.

It's my understanding that many of the coveted, otherwise unpublished Wormwood Review poems are in there. Mixed feelings about that. I was rather smug about having some poems that many people did not have; that's partly why I bought so many Wormwoods. But it's also my opinion that many of the poems Buk submitted to Wormwood were not his best. Good, but not great. So be it. The words are all valuble.

The Continual Condition: Poems

I just received an e-mail from amazon.com stating the release for this new Bukowski book has been brought forward to 15 October. I love a new Buk hardback!!!

9780061771200.jpg

Would this then, be the final cover?

wow. They seemed to have gone in a completely different direction with that cover.

But, I agree. The green should be blue or red. Even a darker green...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back