'Scuse me while I shake it like a polaroid picture (1 Viewer)

Well he sure can talk like him. He's got that down. I suppose the real test will be how well he pretends to play the guitar.

What is that music? It isn't Hendrix...did they actually make a movie about Jimi Hendrix without Jimi Hendrix's music? That would be funny...

Apparently, the film is based on his "pre-fame" days. So I'm guessing pre-Monterey.

That's really weird that they would go ahead with a production like that without having first secured music rights. The music in the trailer is really off-putting and generic (to a guitar player - but who else would go see it?). It stuck out right away as being inauthentic, so I'm not sure the movie is exactly destined for greatness.

Having said that, they made Good ol' Freda with only four Beatles songs. But of course that's four more than this Hendrix thing has. Doesn't mean I won't watch it, but I won't be paying to see it in a theater.

That's really weird that they would go ahead with a production like that without having first secured music rights. The music in the trailer is really off-putting and generic (to a guitar player - but who else would go see it?). It stuck out right away as being inauthentic, so I'm not sure the movie is exactly destined for greatness.

Having said that, they made Good ol' Freda with only four Beatles songs. But of course that's four more than this Hendrix thing has. Doesn't mean I won't watch it, but I won't be paying to see it in a theater.
I was thinking along similar lines. It makes absolutely no sense. The music isn't as good as the solo work by Robin Trower who unashamedly copied the style of Hendrix. It seems a bit like when there's an ad on TV where they couldn't afford to use the real song so they paid someone to compose something that sounds quite like it (but not enough like it to infringe copyright). Perhaps the studio thinks there'll be enough fans of Andre 3000 / Outkast to go and see it but, as you allude to, I can't really see anyone wanting to go and see it if they aren't into Hendrix and, if they are, they're going to be disappointed.

I always got the impression from interviews and documentaries that he was a pretty shy guy and very modest during the early years, but the trailer gives off this vibe as Hendrix as this swaggering guru. It looks like it'll appeal more to the fifteen year old me rather than cynical older me.

Well shit... Andre looks to have done his part acting-wise. The voice and body language look and sound to be spot-on. Why the fuck couldn't they have struck a deal with the Hendrix estate for the music copyrights ? Why make a film about an important artistic figure without displaying his artwork ? I tell ya... I'm beginning to get cynical about Hollywood...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back