send in those poetry submissions- the birth of chance press (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mjp can probably do a better job of explaining this than me but wikipedia says:

RSS (most commonly translated as "Really Simple Syndication") is a family of Web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works"”such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video"”in a standardized format.[2] An RSS document (which is called a "feed", "web feed",[3] or "channel") includes full or summarized text, plus metadata such as publishing dates and authorship. Web feeds benefit publishers by letting them syndicate content automatically. They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely updates from favored websites or to aggregate feeds from many sites into one place. RSS feeds can be read using software called an "RSS reader", "feed reader", or "aggregator", which can be web-based, desktop-based, or mobile-device-based. A standardized XML file format allows the information to be published once and viewed by many different programs. The user subscribes to a feed by entering into the reader the feed's URI - often referred to informally as a "URL" (uniform resource locator), although technically the two terms are not exactly synonymous - or by clicking an RSS icon in a browser that initiates the subscription process. The RSS reader checks the user's subscribed feeds regularly for new work, downloads any updates that it finds, and provides a user interface to monitor and read the feeds.

RSS formats are specified using XML, a generic specification for the creation of data formats. Although RSS formats have evolved since March 1999,[4] the RSS icon ("") first gained widespread use between 2005 and 2006.[5]

basically, it's just a quick way that you can view regularly updated websites from you bookmarks toolbar. i use RSS feeds on my email accounts so i can see if i have new email without having to open a tab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on the Chance Press Twitter feed, "if u want 2 know who any of the poets r on buk.net, lemme know." While I haven't seen the book yet, I think a list of who is who is definitely in order. At least here on the forum. A "key" of sorts. ;)

hi- you can order by sending payment to jordanhurder at yahoo dot com. the unsigned edition is $12, and the signed is $25.

thanks for your interest!

we made a last-second choice (well, justine had the idea) to change the endpapers on the 2nd edition to pale blue, and the two colors look so awesome together. anyone who is getting a 2nd edition instead of a first should be very pleased to have both!

also- i posted this on the chancepress site, but email us if you want to be on the list to hear about the special editions of future releases. much like bill's hardcovers, if you aren't on the list, you may not be able to get one.

also also- there is one copy of the special edition of a common thread available for purchase. it will be expensive, but limited only to 5 copies (one publisher's copy, three presentation copies, and this one). email us if you're interested. we'll post pictures eventually, but i'm kinda hoping to sell it to someone just based on my incredible descriptive powers.

I saw on the Chance Press Twitter feed, "if u want 2 know who any of the poets r on buk.net, lemme know." While I haven't seen the book yet, I think a list of who is who is definitely in order. At least here on the forum. A "key" of sorts. ;)

you got it:

dav3 don0van - number6horse
kim f0scato - strangegirl
brian pr4tt- digney in burnaby
j3ff arch3r black - buzzcat
r0ni braun - roni (HEY RONI - jordan and i disagree over how to pronounce your last name: is it 'brown' like colour, or 'brawn' like muscle?)
j0hn mart1n - purple stickpin
st3ph3n hines - hoochmonkey
h0sh0 mccreesh - hosho
michael phillips - mjp
harry calh0un - harryC13
richard w1nk - rjwink666
justin grimb0l - justin grimbol
father luke - father luke
justin.barr3tt - i can't remember his user name
christ0pher cunningham - cunningham
david bark3r - rekrab
K. G3rard Ha1ght - gerard h k love
jim v4cc4 - slimedog
joh4nnes w1tek - johannes
joan jobe smith - joan jobe smith
jordan hurder - jordan

not sure how people feel about having their full names posted here, so i've google-proofed them (hopefully), and if any of you don't want you names here, just email a mod to have them removed.

okay, now we're disagreeing over how 'roni' is pronounced. RONI WHERE ARE YOU COME TELL US HOW TO SAY YOUR NAME.

r0ni braun - roni (HEY RONI - jordan and i disagree over how to pronounce your last name: is it 'brown' like colour, or 'brawn' like muscle?)

okay, now we're disagreeing over how 'roni' is pronounced. RONI WHERE ARE YOU COME TELL US HOW TO SAY YOUR NAME.
Braun is pronounced (90%) like brown and the R is hard....
In German braun means brown, in Dutch it's bruin,
try to pronounce it ;)

[...] r0ni braun - roni (HEY RONI - jordan and i disagree over how to pronounce your last name: is it 'brown' like colour, or 'brawn' like muscle?) [...] okay, now we're disagreeing over how 'roni' is pronounced. RONI WHERE ARE YOU COME TELL US HOW TO SAY YOUR NAME.
... like brown and the R is hard.... In German braun means brown,

That's 100% right. It sounds exactly like "brown" with a german accent.

The 'R' in Roni is also the typical german hard sounding 'r'. The rest is just like you'd pronounce it anyway. (as in 'Macaroni')

Some Germans tend to pronounce it like 'Ronny' which, in my case, is wrong. They make that mistake because 'Roni' isn't a real name in German (my given name was Oliver) - but I have it in my passport now (as 'artist-name').

Anyway, though my last name 'Braun' is no secret, I prefer to leave it when publishing anything, so it's only 'Roni'.
I decided so when I realized, the last name 'Braun' would lead to people asking in a bookstore: "Do you have the new one by Braun?" - "Which Brown? Dan? Charley? Leroy? Roni?" (You see: this would be crap. Unless your last name is something special like Hemingway, Bukowski or Shakespeare, you can't use it as an author/artist.) But when people just ask for the new book by 'Roni', everything's clear and logic. "Oh, yeah, sure: under 'R' just next to Rimbaud."

Unless your last name is something special like Hemingway, Bukowski or Shakespeare, you can't use it as an author/artist.
Just be thankful you don't have a generic, mayonnaise name like Michael Phillips.

I would change it to Roni Vacca, but then I'd have to explain how to pronounce it.

gaaahhhhhh i'm so pissed that jordan is right about how to pronounce BOTH your names, roni! i don't know... after more than 2 years of referring to you as 'ronny', i don't think i can change...

... after more than 2 years of referring to you as 'ronny', i don't think i can change...

It's okay, honey.
As I said, even in Germany some people call me so. (I do react being called that way.)
And I never could be mad at you anyway, my favorite New American!

xoxo

gaaahhhhhh i'm so pissed that jordan is right about how to pronounce BOTH your names, roni!

Well, I don't see him itching to take a shot at pronouncing MY handle...you hear that Hurder, I'm calling you out!

actually, now that you mention it: i'm 99% sure your name is pronounced 'osho' (a longer 'o', like 'oh', and 'sho' like 'show') but jordan pronounches the 'h'. tell me who's right!!

First "H" is silent, so: "Oh-Show"...you win this round!

While calling roll, I once had a substitute teacher look at the name, look, look...then say "Um...it starts with an 'H'..." & I raised my hand.

[Sorry--I missed MJPs & Bill's posts, bot stating exactly the same thing...Christ, it's like forum posting with my sister's kids...I'm dumb.]

well, colour me embarrassed, all these years I've been pronouncing it 'throatwarbler minitrobe'

That's my middle name, it's spelled that way but is pronounced "Ping pang walla walla raindrops keep falling on my schroder watchmaker don't sleep in the subway jones ping jones."

justine said:
we're so proud of this first effort, though - it's everything we hoped it would be (except for the goddamn warping of the back cover due to too much glue on the envelopes. it was a late discovery that we should have just glued one edge, not the whole thing. oh well.).

I did a small book once that required inserts and the solution that I came up with was to cut the cover stock (actually it was the endpapers but it would work just as well in a chapbook format) in such a way that it made a flap that could be folded a couple of times then glued along two edges to make a pocket at the back. It creates a little waste and some extra work but it worked out very nicely. Maybe next time?

This is very rough but should give you an idea of what I'm trying to describe.
die-line.png

that's a good idea. it may not have worked so well on this project because we gocco-printed those envelopes - the gocco only fits a roughly postcard-sized image, so putting a larger piece of cardstock on it would have creased it (because of how the lid clamps down).

but i'm thinking that making the covers wider, and then folding over that extra margin would be a great idea: it would preserve the edge of the book a little more (i've seen it on other chapbooks and it looks really nice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back