send in those poetry submissions- the birth of chance press (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it can't be me because I'm not a gem, and it can't be Father Luke because he isn't hidden. And it can't be MULLINAX because ... but I digress. :)

This is a dumb question to ask AFTER having submitted, but :

Do you prefer the works pasted directly into the body of the e-mail or sent as attachments ?

i sent mine telepathically. If it arrives and is good, please confirm that you got it and also let me know what it says...

Bill

Just as soon as I have a few unclaimed minutes I'll break out one of my doggeared pocket notebooks and type you up some angry pissed off work poems (or did I stop writing those? Or are they already promised to another editor?) Anyway, as soon as I figure out what I have that's unpublished and not already out to other editors, I'll type it up and send it your way.

hey everyone, thanks to those who have submitted their work to us.

submissions close on september 4, in two weeks. if you haven't submitted, please do. if you've already submitted but would like to send more, please do.

Orange rhymes and response times

...door hinge...?
Yes, and the obscure word "sporange," but even that is not pronounced the same way. "Purple" is another word that supposedly has no rhyme, but I still chuckle when I think of how Roger Miller found a rhyme for it. Miller (songwriter most famous for "King of the Road"), in his song "Dang Me," said:

They say roses are red and violets are purple
Sugar is sweet and so is maple syurple

Geez. To get this thread back on track -- hey Jordan and rubyred, what is your normal response time? I know it's your first issue, but can you give us an idea? (Waiting isn't necessarily bad ... SNReview held three of my poems hostage for four months but a few days ago they accepted all of them ... better delayed acceptance than immediate rejection!)

harry,

probably in the next couple of weeks? if you've got them submitted elsewhere, or you want to submit elsewhere, feel free and just let us know which ones are off the market.

bumpity bump!

okay, this thing closes thursday. things are rolling along, i'm becoming slightly more adept at sewing and paper has been chosen. we've had a ton of submissions, and we're extremely grateful to everyone who took the time to submit to our new press. unfortunately, we are not able to publish everything that was submitted, due to the sheer volume. SO... if you don't get in, don't take it personally: at this stage, we're anticipating accepting/publishing less than 10% of the subs.

once final decisions have been made, i'll be posting a list of poets/poem titles here as a preview. i would like to also post user names alongside, but if you don't want people to know who you post as, please email me and let me know. we won't be publishing aliases.

submissions close tomorrow, so this is a final reminder.

once final decisions have been made, i'll be posting a list of poets/poem titles here as a preview. i would like to also post user names alongside, but if you don't want people to know who you post as, please email me and let me know. we won't be publishing aliases.

hi everyone- so, a little snag in the editing process... the document i was using to read through and choose poems is marooned on my computer that's being warrantied by HP right now... Rubyred has done her part, so now it's on my lazy ass. I should have it back by the weekend, and we'll hope to post something in a week or so. Sorry about the delay, and truly truly thank you to everyone for your patience. I do know what a pain in the ass it is to wait on lazy people like myself.

jordan: Just your own words, randomized...

2865456804_aeae43d3ea.jpg

The site that makes those "text clouds" is Wordle. Please go play with it there. I really don't want to see them posted here. No offense, pichon64. It's just that - to me, anyway - the gimmick wears thin after you see it a couple of times.

jordan,

Cross your fingers and say a prayer if you pray. I know from personal experience that HP, and most computer manufacturers, do not protect your data when warranty work is being done. Unless you backed up that data elsewhere, you better hang onto a horseshoe. The exception is you can pay extra for the manufacturer to backup your data before doing warranty work.

Good luck!

just a reminder: submissions are CLOSED now, no exceptions (well, depends who you are, i'm pretty fickle).

i had a shortlist ready two weeks ago, but i was also unemployed two weeks ago, so i had plenty of time on my hands. in my opinion, we should just go with the poems i've chosen. i have inscrutable taste.

i just found out that my computer will be held up for 4-6 weeks in an hp facility in texas that got wrecked by the hurricane... i'll be shocked if i ever get it back, to tell you the truth. so, it looks like this weekend i'll have to go back through poems, but i still plan to have my list ready this weekend so rubyred and i can go through early next week and have our list ready by mid-week.

Will 50 copies of the Bukowski.net anthology be enough? Why not go 100 just to be sure you can meet initial demand?

david,

i honestly don't think we'll get a super high demand; if there is, we'll do another edition. making a 100 of these would cost some money and time, which we don't necessarily have right now.

i honestly don't think we'll get a super high demand; if there is, we'll do another edition. making a 100 of these would cost some money and time, which we don't necessarily have right now.
Yeah, you're probably wise to just make 50. I get that. I'm the last person that should be calling 50 copies a too-small edition; many of my chapbooks were published in editions of 20, 10, even 5 copies. And for the same reason as you state: more copies means more time and expense, both of which are always in short supply.

Hi Jordan & Ruby,

If it's possible; I'd like to pre-order a copy
of Bukowski.net Poetry Collection (as-yet-untitled chapbook.)
And signed by both of you?

... we sold 110 copies of the Father Luke book. This could not have been done without the folks on this board. Jordan & Rubyred, you may be surprised. Still, doin a second edition is very cool. So is taking the money and putting it into another project.

I suggest that anyone that wants one should let it be known to the publishers. If you wait too long, they may be all gone....

Bill

J & J I would like to pre order as well. Keep in mind there should be as much appeal for this as there was for Father Luke's book. I want to read the work of the people on this forum just like everyone else.
The extras will just cost some time paper and ink. Print set for 50 is the same as 150, isn't it? How much money per copy?
The second edition would be nice, but delivery early is nice too.

Maybe if everyone preorders you could have some idea of the volume.
...and Thank you for putting it together.

okay, here's the deal: (and please keep in mind that nothing is set in stone at this stage)

it's going to be a hand-sewn (oh god i hope i don't fuck it up) chapbook, with a textured cardstock cover and tissue endpapers (if i can figure this out) in a kind of green colour. it will be signed by me (justine), jordan, and mjp. mr bill roberts, famous and infamous master printer (with shady connections to a subversive literary international t*rrorist organisation) has kindly agreed to letterpress the title paste-downs for the cover. there will be 50 of these, and since there's roughly 19 poets (on my shortlist) who'll be receiving one, that leaves 31 up for sale.

there will also be about 5 'tuxedo' copies: a special edition in black and white (do you see??), a little bit fancier, which will not be for sale but which will be going out as special gifts to certain people who we are indebted to for helping inspire our little press.

we haven't settled on a price yet, but a VERY ROUGH GUESSTIMATE (i don't want to get in trouble with jordan) is probably [strike]$6[/strike] (including shipping in the US - i have no idea on shipping rates overseas, and jordan's out mountain-biking right now so i can't ask him).

please keep in my mind that i have an awful awful job and would like to quit it and make books/sell books instead. so buy our stuff and make me happy. one day we might be super famous or some shit, and signed copies of our stuff could be priceless.

in other news: we're really excited about some of the poems we've received. there's some amazing writing going on behind the scenes at bukowskidotnet.

if you would like to reserve a copy, please email me (put BUKNET BK RESERVE in the subject line) at:
chance.press.books(AT)gmail.com

okay, here's the deal: (snip...)
it's going to be a hand-sewn (oh god i hope i don't fuck it up)
..... some shit, and signed copies of our stuff could be priceless.

in other news: we're really excited about some of the poems we've received. there's some amazing writing going on behind the scenes at bukowskidotnet.

(snip..).....

Ruby; You will do fine. My son did 50 books for a project and used a Japanese sewn binding technique that turned out nicely- withthe help of his girlfriend.;)
There are some greats in here. Priceless, someday.

This is great news !
Ruby, I know you'll do just fine.
From the beginning the two of you have been committed to this project,
and we wait with baited breath and hand-sewn hearts for
some quality small-press miracles.
Hopefully, 100 of them.

Oh yeah
you've got mail.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back