• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Septuagenerian Stew 127 of 500 signed and numbered (1 Viewer)

hello all. i happily stumbled to this site and i think my copy of Septuagenerian Stew is the nicest of my collection. it's in about perfect condition and still has the plastic jacket. i also have a, i would say a fine copy of The Roominghouse Madrigals #330 of 400 and signed. can someone tell me something on the value or where i could find out? thank ya much..

rough guess is $300 for sept. stew and $400 for roominghouse, although copies have gone for as low as $200 on eBay in recent months. but i'd say that those prices are realistic "retail" prices.

yeah, if you're asking what they're "worth," i think it's okay to say the higher amount. if he'd asked what they would sell for right now, it would be less. but ebay prices will go back up in a few years, i'd imagine.

Yes, all three above are correct. They are worth $300 - $500, but if you are looking to sell them to a dealer or on ebay RIGHT NOW, expect to make less. The economy is shit and it has hurt the rare book market.

Bill

It's hurt more than the rare book market. Payday yesterday, and my net pay has been reduced. I thought Obama was going to fix this shit?! ;)

...if you are looking to sell them to a dealer or on ebay RIGHT NOW, expect to make less. The economy is shit and it has hurt the rare book market.

That's an interesting point. Is eBay now considered a "wholesale" place to sell one's collectibles? Somehow I thought it ranged between retail and wholesale, leaning toward retail, if the piece was rare...(and maybe that's what you are saying...).

Pax

That's an interesting point. Is eBay now considered a "wholesale" place to sell one's collectibles? Somehow I thought it ranged between retail and wholesale, leaning toward retail, if the piece was rare...(and maybe that's what you are saying...).
Nope, but ebay will always sell for a lower when there are copies on abe, unless the seller is a moron. If a book is on ebay, and hits $250, when there are 5 copies for $200 on abe, then there is someone that wanted it so bad that they did not care to look at the first place to look when deciding on these things. If there are no copies on abe, then it can be tough.

So, given that, if the book is not truly rare (as opposed to the tag "rare" that is always put on anything that the seller wants to sell), the the ebay price should always be below the abe (bookseller) price. Add to that, that most booksellers will give discounts to good customers and you can see why the "spot" price on abe should almost always be the highest that you should expect to pay for something.

In my opinion, anyway...

Bill

you'd be amazed how many ebay people never check other sites like amazon or abe. it was based on that theory that i got into flipping books on eBay - i've actually bought books on abe and sold them for profit on eBay.

It's hurt more than the rare book market. Payday yesterday, and my net pay has been reduced. I thought Obama was going to fix this shit?! ;)

There's serious talk about unpaid "furlough" days in my line of work. Our paid holidays become unpaid ones, plus other days we stay home, unpaid, and try to figure out how to pay the mortgage. Although the workload will stay the same. Actually, it increases because we have to spend all that stimulus money, and report on it. Maybe I ought to just throw in the towel and retire before they take away the pension too.

We are being forced to take an unpaid furlough day every month where I work. Even if you have vacation time, you are not allowed to use on that one day.
It must be unpaid...

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back