Sifting Through the Madness... (1 Viewer)

Yes, this was Ecco's first Bukowski book. No BSP edition made, as they were officially out of the game. However it was edited by John Martin and the design and jacket were by Barbara Martin.
The cover art leaves something to be desired but the paper, binding and overall feel are very good. (Not like 'The People'). It suffers from not having a back-strip... and no book should be that particular shade of green in my opinion.

The poetry is of course excellent.

Backwards is how I put my collection together....well basically. I bought the early pieces as they came up in mint condition at a reasonable price.
But I truly wish I had bought the early (BSP) pieces first, as they (Post Office, Burning in Water, Factotum etc) are now 5 - 10 times the price they were when I started. I.e - unaffordable to all but those with serious 'disposable income' (I hate that expression - sorry).
Like real estate, the best time to buy early Buk is NOW.

So, was this ...
1806225045_adfff7f8c2_o.jpg

that's a great avatar you have there!

It looked sufficiently depraved to me. Thanks.

...It suffers from not having a back-strip... and no book should be that particular shade of green in my opinion.

The poetry is of course excellent.

Backwards is how I put my collection together....well basically. I bought the early pieces as they came up in mint condition at a reasonable price.
But I truly wish I had bought the early (BSP) pieces first...Like real estate, the best time to buy early Buk is NOW.
I screwed up, as I got into Buk in 1987, but only looked for available paperbacks in local bookstores. It never occurred to me that I should seek out 1st ed hardcovers. As a small consolation, I spent the money I should have used on these books on wine and beer.

Laphroaig. that whisky is the business !

you have good taste in the peaty bog-smoke of the isle of islay. I can't afford it myself but I always buy my father a bottle of it on his birthday.

I can almost smell the stuff from here...

If you go to their website (Google), you can become a Friend of Laphroaig, and they'll give you a square-foot plot of land at the distillery and send you a frameable deed for it. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!

Once a year, you can go there and get a free dram of whisky and the Wellington's and rain gear to go visit yer plot. How the hell you gonna beat that?

Purple Stickpin,

I am no longer allowed to drink the "hard stuff," and really my father shouldn't either, but he's 74 and I think he should drink what he likes.

I drink whisky like water & the very idea of me having a bottle of Islay's finest anywhere close by would be utterly disastrous.

Maybe I should order up a few of those 25cl bottles :)

Hey DogDice: Sorry, man, I know what you're going through.

Stick to the watered-down shit, or none at all. It's funny, but reading Buk made me want to drink a few years back, but now I'm above that.

Now I drink because I want to. But that ain't for all of us. Enjoy your life and stay straight if that's what you need, or that's what you must do. Be strong.

Purple Stickpin,

Oh, no need to apologise. I drink beer like water too. I'm a pretty good beer drinker and I'll get through an awful lot of the stuff to be honest. I just know that if there is a bottle of scotch around I'll drink it and end up in jail for the night. I don't know what the "overnight" facilities are like in Massachusetts, but around here I can well do without it.

Bukowski, bless him, played no role in this whatsoever. I was a drunken idiot long before I ever heard of his name. And a horse-racing fan too. But if I ever have to do a long stretch behind bars I would be taking his stuff with me. Hell, a good friend of mine has just been sentenced to 12 months for GBH (basically punching somebody repeatedly) and I may send him some Bukowski to read.

The Bukowski stories are just like my own, they're painful and horrible and they can laugh at themselves. can you really hate the cop who hand-cuffs you and throws you into the van and then drives you around all night trying to find a jail cell that has room ? of course not. it's funny & it's tragic & it really happens.

they were very decent about the whole thing really. they even let me take my wallet with me so I could get home the next day.

I'm no fan of the police, but they didn't treat me badly at all

Somehow, after all these years of miscreancy, I've managed to keep meself out of the rookers of the millicents. Good on yer, though. Always go limp, like fucking Charles Manson and all.;)

I don't like jail cells. I don't like all the shoes lined up outside the doors. I don't like the fact that I have to make my own way home. I don't like the "all-day breakfasts" and I don't like cops that make me give a DNA test even though I was innocent of any crime.

Fuck the police. I hate them with a vengeance. I really hate those bastards.

I'm a reasonable type of chap, but I would shoot them without a second thought.

Any cops on this website ?

Hey Dogdice: All I can say is that you seem to want to relate to Buk in 1965, and I'd prefer to relate to Buk in 1985, or not relate to Buk at all. You can choose your path, or not. I just like his writing. It's our choice...

I still find it hard to relate to my relatives, let alone Buk in 1965.

but perhaps I was a bit harsh on the police. I'd just like to lock them up for a while really.

Right about now NWA court is in full effect.
Judge Dre presiding in the case of NWA versus the police department.
Prosecuting attourneys are MC Ren Ice Cube and Eazy muthafuckin E.
Order order order. Ice Cube take the muthafuckin stand.
Do you swear to tell the truth the whole truth
and nothin but the truth so help your black ass?

Why don't you tell everybody what the fuck you gotta say?

Fuck tha police

Users who are viewing this thread

Back