Slamming It Down (1 Viewer)

I'm Doug Goodwin and I wrote Half Memory of a Distant Life, a little book of poems that Bukowski wrote a foreword for in 1987 (I think). I saw this mentioned somewhere on this forum, so I thought I'd say hello.
I'm still alive, by the way.

Okay, I know that the Bukowski tapes thing that Barbet Schroeder directed finally came out on DVD last year.
So I must have been alive as recently as last year; otherwise, how would I know?

I'm Doug Goodwin and I wrote Half Memory of a Distant Life, a little book of poems that Bukowski wrote a foreword for in 1987 (I think). I saw this mentioned somewhere on this forum, so I thought I'd say hello.
I'm still alive, by the way.

Hi,

Googled some, not on amazon, nowhere.

Where can we find your poetry book and half memory...?

Douglas Goodwin's books show up from time to time on ebay. As with many things small press, they are not easy to find. I guess that there are probably only 200 copies of "Half Memory" that were printed.

theeffects sold a copy on ebay a while back. Also, Jeffrey at waterrow books may have some. Also, you can e-mail Jeff Maser. He will almost certainly have a few copies.

Bill

Douglas Goodwin's books show up from time to time on ebay. As with many things small press, they are not easy to find. I guess that there are probably only 200 copies of "Half Memory" that were printed.

theeffects sold a copy on ebay a while back. Also, Jeffrey at waterrow books may have some. Also, you can e-mail Jeff Maser. He will almost certainly have a few copies.
So interesting to find this thread.

I published Half Memory under the Clock Radio Press moniker. Clock Radio was a little magazine that I edited and published from about 1985-1987, and I published a few Clock Radio Press chapbooks--some good stuff, I think. Buk appeared in three or four issues, and Doug, as well. I still have a few copies of Half Memory, but I sent most of them, by far, to Doug. I always felt bad that authors were (and probably still are) paid only in "copies." What a world. But there's usually no money in poetry--writing or publishing. So there you go. I was really glad that Buk wrote the foreword to the book, but I wasn't all that surprised because I knew that he liked Doug's work, and really he liked the work of very few.

Anyway, here's a little story about Clock Radio, as well as some links to an issue or two:

http://poetrycircle.com/index.php/topic,15143.0.html

In that thread, there's also a link to a PDF of Ear Evolution, another Clock Radio Press chapbook that I did by a writer named R. Evan Pitts. Would love to know what happened to Mr. Pitts.

Looks like you got the un-revised version of sometimes you go a bit crazy and you don't know why. Septaugenerian Stew publishes the revised manuscript. Interesting to see the changes.

You also have SIZZLER backup, which Septaugenerian Stew collects as At The Sizzler with minor revisions(?).

Thanks for the link to the pdf. We only had one poem from that issue of clock radio in the database. Now all four are in there.

---

Funny comment from that link to poetrycircle.com:

So you knew Buk before Buk was cool, eh?
cheryl

I guess for some of the kids out there, 1987 qualifies as "before Buk was cool" (even though Jay helpfully points out, "in 85-87, Bukowski wasn't exactly unknown"). I suppose we all plant our flags when we discover things ourselves, as if all the crusty old fuckers that came before us don't count.

Looks like you got the un-revised version of sometimes you go a bit crazy and you don't know why. Septaugenerian Stew publishes the revised manuscript. Interesting to see the changes.
That is very interesting about the changes to "sometimes you go a bit crazy." Thanks for the information.

Did you see the link to Clock Radio 8 a bit later in that thread?

http://poetrycircle.com/index.php/topic,15143.msg104125.html#msg104125

8 was the last issue, perhaps the best, the issue I published just before going to Germany to begin my interviews with Carl Weissner (and what would be my 8 year stay over there). Buk has 3 poems in that issue, followed by 3 from Doug Goodwin.

So where is Doug? I tried to get in touch with him via this site. Has he disappeared? I've started a new venture called PoetryCircle Featured Writers, and I'm looking for some of the old crew to publish--as well as new discoveries. I suppose I'll forever be interested in publishing literary journals, even in this weird (and wonderful) Internet age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back