Socratease signs on (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,

I live in Sydney, Australia, and am now retired after too many decades in the IT game.

I had never heard of Buk until about a year ago when I bought a copy of Barfly from a $5 bin amongst a bunch of other stuff. I was wowed by that film, not so much for Mickey Rourke's acting but the subject matter. I don't drink much at all these days but as a twentysomething I spent far too much time and money in sleazy bars and encountered most of the character types portrayed in the movie. I recall one guy in particular who could have been Buk himself: a dishevelled alcoholic for sure and a brawler, but certainly no writer -- other than perhaps on the back of toilet doors.

Anyway, as fate would have it, not long after spinning up Barfly, public service TV showed Born Into This, so next day I went to the bookstore and bought a pile of Buk's stuff -- poetry and novels -- put them aside on my unread pile and promptly forgot about them.

Last month I was tidying up my study/library when I found the file of Bukowski and started reading it. Hopped onto the Net to find out more about him and found this Forum. So here I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
ROC refers to himself in the third person.

Welcome.

There are a few of us Aussies here.

Enjoy!

Welcome. You came to the right place, this is the swingingest place in the internet. ( that may have had something to do with a Frank Zappa influence.)

Yes, we here have all been gloriously Buk-damaged. And there aint no cure for that (but I'll keep trying beer). Welcome Socratease (nice handle, did you think that up?)

I recall one guy in particular...a dishevelled alcoholic for sure...but certainly no writer -- other than perhaps on the back of toilet doors.

Have you ever arm-wrestled a great white?

Dagnabbit, you sound familiar "” must be the accent "” and how did you like the way I flushed out the words on the backs of those toilet doors?

Welcome...

Socratease didn't know anything.
Except this.

You must be thinking of my famous cousin So-crates, who made his name in a film called Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. He knew nothing other than how to sign autographs.

Roni is welcoming him anyway.

Thanks!

Have you ever arm-wrestled a great white?

Yes, once while I was trekking in the Himalayas, a great white attacked me from behind. I wrestled the brute in the snow for 5 hours before he had to take a call from his agent, whereupon I shot the bugger with the harpoon I had fortuitously packed. We lived on shark steaks for the rest of the trip and I sold the fins to some Chinese along the way.

Dagnabbit, you sound familiar "” must be the accent "” and how did you like the way I flushed out the words on the backs of those toilet doors?

Ah, so we meet again after all these years, eh? Well, I got heartily sick and tired of correcting your spelling, but the rhyme and meter weren't too bad as I recall.

Welcome...

Thanks!

Yes, we here have all been gloriously Buk-damaged. And there aint no cure for that (but I'll keep trying beer). Welcome Socratease (nice handle, did you think that up?)

Thanks, Scribbler.

I used to drink, but only to excess. Eventually my kidneys took out an AVO on me and I had to quit. As for the handle, it occurred to me in a dream as I slept through a Philosophy class, long, long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back