Sunlight at Midnight, Darkness at Noon (1 Viewer)

Hosh

hoshomccreesh.com
Hey everyone,

As some of you already know, Christopher Cunningham & I have a book of our letters coming out via Orange Alert Press in Chicago. The press has made an official pre-release announcement at the following link:

http://www.orangealert.net/oapsunlight

It will be an edition of 126 books: 26 lettered hardbacks & 100 trade paperbacks. We've been fortunate to have some mighty talented helping hands which we think will make this project something special--including Sean Lynch of 10pt Press, & your friend & mine, Bill Roberts of Bottle of Smoke Press. Our cover artwork comes from Chris Roberts--who recently designed the cover for Ray Bradbury's A Medicine for Melancholy. If that wasn't enough, a couple fellas from Atlanta's own Noot D'Noot made Chris & I sound real good in front of some pretty badass soundscapes for the CD that accompanies the entire edition. The specifics are further explained below.

All told, we're very excited about this entire thing...& hope you'll give it a look. We'd also like to thank MJP for letting us mention the book here & you all for reading this far!

Cheers everyone,
Hosh

PS - As of this writing we have 3 more hardbacks available!

Hardback Deluxe Version , published in an edition of 26 copies:

Included are:

(1) Lettered (A through Z) hardback version of Sunlight at Midnight, Darkness at Noon: The Cunningham/McCreesh Letters, 2002 (Orange Alert Press, 2009); ~232 pp, hand-bound in cloth boards by Bill Roberts of Bottle of Smoke Press, cover artwork by Chris Roberts, with the internals designed by Sean Lynch of 10pt Press. Did we mention it's gonna be absolutely beautiful?

(1) double-sided manuscript broadside -- featuring an original, unpublished poem on each side (one by Cunningham, one by McCreesh). The poems are hand-typed by the authors, on their respective typewriters, on a piece of fine, laid cardstock, autographed and delivered in a mylar sleeve. Poems are based on titles drawn directly from the letters themselves and were written specifically for this project. Until such time as they are collected together (if and when that occurs, if it does), you will own the only published copy of said poems...hence, the "manuscript broadside." Again: no poems are repeated, and NO TWO broadsides are the same.

(1) The Sunlight Tapes compact disc featuring the authors reading a series of excerpts from the letters, backed by a fantastic spectral, experimental score created by The Bimbi Garraux and Dream Sanitation Axis Of Soundscape.

Cost: $26US plus shipping (probably around $3-4US; higher for overseas shipping) (1 per customer please)

Paperback Version, published in an edition of 100:

(1) copy of Sunlight at Midnight, Darkness at Noon: The Cunningham/McCreesh Letters, 2002 in paperback,

(1) The Sunlight Tapes compact disc featuring the authors reading a series of excerpts from the letters, backed by a fantastic spectral, experimental score created by The Bimbi Garraux and Dream Sanitation Axis Of Soundscape.

Cost: $16US plus shipping (around $3US; slightly higher for overseas shipping)

I like that very much.

I wish I didn't wait so long to pull the trigger on getting one.

beautiful cover.

Cover is by Chris Roberts--who recently designed the cover for Ray Bradbury's A Medicine for Melancholy. His website is: http://barcodeart.netfirms.com/

I really think he delivered an excellent cover for us, I couldn't be happier.

Hooch, there are plenty of softbacks if you'd like to go that route...or, if you want, we'll put you down as an alternate in case someone with a hardcover changes their mind. Let me know.

Wow Hosh that it is really beautiful. Many Kudos.....
What a great image...
I can hardly wait.

---

So after studying the picture I am wondering who is who?
My first guess is that Cunningham is the Remington and Hosh is the IMB.
There are some really cool little details in that cover. You scored with that one.
Excellent Job!

thanks everyone. the artist nailed it for sure.

sg: the IBM is my baby and the remy is hosh's; but sadly, the orig. remy rand is riding the Eternal Metro Line In Paris Forever, as hosho left it behind in France when he was there (and some of these letters are from his time in switz right before he left there for paris...).

hooch: done. thanks for the good words...

My mom has an old remington I dug up just a couple of weeks ago...
It's so cool.
Well hopefully the Remy is having good go of it in Paris... Maybe hangin on the Seine...
Ahh Paris.

Hosho, if you're ever in town and feel the need to type on a Remington again, we have one here. It was cleaned and serviced (yes, there is still one old Russian man in Pasadena who runs a typewriter repair shop) a few months ago, and is ready for action.

Carol used it for her book. I think all you typewriter fuckers are crazy, but what do I know. Without this BACKSPACE key I'd have to type everything 15 times. I can't imagine editing a novel of typewritten pages (okay, move this paragraph here, 24 pages back). Oy.

Though I used to type on a typewriter with no ribbon. I used carbon paper to make the original, so I never knew if it was right until I was done, as the page on top was always blank. I don't know if that was punk, or just idiotic.

I would love to type on a Remington again...& I'll happily take you up on the offer if I ever make it our your way! It was a heartbreaker, losing that typer. The doors to the train closed as I was setting down my other bags, & off it went. I sat looking at all the stuff I DID have, thinking, "I don't care about any of this--I'll trade it all for my typer back..." Being Jan 2003 I'm fairly sure the French authorities destroyed it as a potential Al Qeada (sp?) bomb or whatever...I had the few people I knew call & ask after it...to no avail. These days I type on an Olivetti+Underwood...this sleek little machine. But I might try to get an old Underwood I know of in Durango...

As to writing on them--I use either typed or handwritten stuff as a first draft &, if I like it enough, I re-type it into the computer--where I do the bulk of editing. That's a valuable process for me, so I don't mind it. In many ways, typing on an old machine is almost like playing an instrument...you establish a kind of rhythm when you really get going...something I've never been able to do on a computer.

I have an old Corona 'Sterling' typewriter w/case that I picked up at some antique mall, here locally. Beautiful little beast. Still use it when I want to switch things up.
I had a few more old Royals, but sold them awhile back.

Hosh: Have you been to that place here in ABQ that restores/refurbishes old typewriters?
It's in a pink adobe building on the north side on Menual, NE.
The owner would charge around $100 or more, but he did a damn good job.
That was 7 years ago, so prices might have changed, for better or for worse.

Just in case anyone was waiting for the trade paperback of SUNLIGHT: it is now ready for pre-order...with free shipping in the US for anyone who buys between now & the May 25th release date! All info can be found here:

http://oapress.blogspot.com/

Thanks. I'm happy with it, but it was the artist who designed that amazing cover that did the real artistry.

I'll put Hosh to work over this long weekend. I will be the one drinking beer while poor Hosho binds until his fingers bleed.

Bill

For those who have yet to see Bill's latest opus...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iT50VFtVy.../TIyHP9byQRo/s1600-h/cc_opens_sunlight-10.jpg

This is a PRESENTATION COPY, which included an original painting by each author & comes in a BoSP clamshell. The binding smells like REDEMPTION.

The sold-out LETTERED EDITION (which a handful here have ordered) comes bound in red cloth, & they're currently making their way to Chi-town for eventual distribution to the faithful worldwide! It looks a little something like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iT50VFtVy_I/ShWW_U3Jz-I/AAAAAAAAIl0/lhIMh8a3JDY/s1600-h/hmcc3.JPG

A box full of the trade edition (which is on sale right now) looks like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iT50VFtVy_I/ShSmAviNFkI/AAAAAAAAIlk/Dx_ATu-eo4A/s1600-h/Sunlight+box.jpg

& all versions come with a copy of THE SUNLIGHT TAPES, designed by Sean Lynch & using Chris Roberts terrific artwork again. The CDs should look like this:

Cover: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iT50VFtVy_I/Sf2kgj_pf1I/AAAAAAAAIfY/W3-gntQDnVI/s1600-h/sunlight+tapes.jpg

and the Liner Notes: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iT50VFtVy...Q/gXgLHxKvBR0/s1600-h/sunlight+tapes+back.jpg

If you haven't already, we hope you'll consider picking up a trade edition!

I couldn't in the thread, so I checked the URLS. There they are. Quirky. Hope you don't mind hosh, i changed them to links.

I know it's been said a dozen times before, but the art on the cover is truly fantastic. Beautiful book. And I'm sure the words inside are just as great. I missed out on the lettered copies, but I'll definitely pick up a trade edition.

Great pics Hosh. I have said it before and I'll say it again, Can't wait to get this baby in my hot little hands. Oh and the CD... added bonus.. yee haw! Now I'll have a voice to go with the mosaic picture of you. Cool!

I couldn't in the thread, so I checked the URLS. There they are. Quirky. Hope you don't mind hosh, i changed them to links.

Sorry everyone, that I can't make the glowing box work right. Thanks for the fix, Hank.

I can't thank everyone enough--for all they did to make the book look so fantastic, & all of you for the kind words & support. It's no secret, I am really proud of this book!

& Purple--man, it's a nice book, but certainly nothing to live under during the back east winters...so you made the right choice...a house is infinitely more useful!

okay dumb question, So who will get the Presentation Copies? because the gold on those things are really sweet. They look like they have leather bindings.
All of the books are beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back