Sunlight at Midnight, Darkness at Noon (3 Viewers)

thanks everyone for the good words; this book in any of its forms is an amazing thing, and I am humbled by the efforts of everyone involved.

the presentation copies are going to the publisher; the illustrator; the layout king; the master book binder; the two worthless authors; and finally a special benefactor who helped bring aspects of this production to life.

I just finished signing all of them and they will be at Orange Alert Press on Saturday. the nice thing about the 26 lettered is the MANUSCRIPT broads; the presentation copies don't have the poems...

really, I wept a bit when I opened that box and held one of them...the silky binding, the genius layout, the cover art, all of it...

I am going to announce the option of having a custom clamshell made to fit them book. The price will be $60 in the US and $70 overseas, postage included, of course. The clamshell will be in matching red to match the spine (I will use the EXACT same material).

Anyone interested can PM or e-mail me. No hurry though. I can make these whenever.

Bill

can anyone from BUK NET who ordered a Hardback version of SUNLIGHT please PM me or hosh with your address? I got some of them from the GPP Rolls but we lack a couple.

books start shipping tomorrow! we hope everyone enjoys the read and the craftsmanship of Big Bill Roberts and his tiny assistant, the Smallest Person In The World, miniscule ol' Hosho McCreesh.

;)

thanks again for the support...

(of course, the trade paperback is still available for anyone interested..)

Thanks HarryC13!

A quick update: all paid copies SHOULD be landing on the mail trucks this week...so they should be in our waiting hands soon. Thanks much to all the kind folks here who've graciously supported the book. Hope you all like the book & the CD too...our splintered Noot faction did a bang up job!

Ugh...another update--& a small press lesson learned:

Unbeknownst to us, these POD printers piggyback, under the umbrage of Amazon, with certain booksellers...& list small press books for sale. How can they buy a book for $16 + $3 shipping from the small presses & sell it for $12+$4 shipping you ask?

Answer: they can't.

Instead they get copies directly from the POD printer (& who knows how cheaply), sell them via storefronts on Amazon...the buyer pays the shipping, & they keep the white meat. Now, the printer pays the publisher something--but I don't know how much--so I guess the screwjob could be worse...but I just wanted to make it clear to folks here that buying the book through Amazon will not included a CD...as the orders aren't filled via our 100trade copies, but rather, a new book is just printed at the printer & shipped out.

Unfortunately, it also means our colophon is wrong. Well, more inaccurate than wrong...

There are
~7 clamshells presentation copies + both author's paintings + CDs;
~26 lettered hardbacks w/ manuscript broadsides & CDs;
~100 trade copies that come with the CD
~AND there are an indeterminate number of NAKED, RED-HEADED, BASTARD STEPCHILD copies - sold via Amazon, with no CD.

Okay--just wanted to clear the air, as we just found out this morning...& were a little put off by it.

And it got us thinking: As a response to the PODprinters striking up these sorta deals with massive bookselling conglomerates--I'd recommend that all small press types, who must use their great printing prices to put out books, should DEFINITELY make additional editons (hardbacks, extras like broadsides or CDs included, etc.) of each project...such that we use Amazon to reach new people...while the WISEST, TRUEST small press fans can still buy special editions & support presses directly! FIGHT THE POWER!

Okay...we've cracked that case, back to Matlock...

Hosho,
Amazon is pure evil. I'm not kidding.

Is there any way for the publisher to have the book pulled from the site? The reason that I ask is that Amazon makes a lot of money fucking the small press. I'll give you a hypothetical:

They buy the book from the printer for $5 each.
They sell the book for $12.
The Printer pays the publisher 10% of the sale price ($5 was the sale price from the printer).

Amazon makes $7 on the sale of the book
the printer makes $4.50 on the sale of the book
The publisher makes $.45 on the sale of the book
The authors each make $.025 on the sale of the book.

If it were me, I'd try to find a way to get the book removed from Amazon.com. It is just the principal. We are about supporting those out in the trenches, not exploiting the small publishers and poets.

Bill

p.s. The above were estimets. Feel free to play with the numbers and see how the publisher and poets do not get fucked by the man in this deal...

You can't pull it from Amazon, but you can delete the project from the POD site (or in some cases make it "not public").

Yeah...I'm been rolling it around in my noodle all day &, despite trying to 'make the best out of a bad situation,' I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Just as the terrible grocery stores have driven people back to locally grown produce, so Amazon drives the small press back to local printshops so, at the very least, you can keep the lion's share of the profits (& by profits, I mean the 14 cents you clear after covering your nut...IF you're lucky).

On the upshot--all the folks here will likely only ever see the special, hand-made editions & can take heart in the fact that everyone involved really gave themselves to the book...& they came out beautifully.

& if those numbers of Bill's are right...honestly, shame on them all. And their filthy, artless hearts will reap the whirlwind...

well that certainly has convinced me to not buy on Amazon. I am happy i got to buy my copy from the Authors themselves.
And it seems even more evil that you can't pull your book from Amazon and have to delete it from the POD, which i am guessing means Production on Demand. Sorry still learnin the lingo.
So is it that if you want to sell through Amazon you have to have a POD deal?
It really is unfortunate that in order to reach a broader audience you have to sell through them and they take such liberties. Sometimes i guess you really do have to sell your soul to the devil.

got mine today. haven't read any yet, but it's a beautiful thing to hold.

congrats to all involved.

Just got my copy today and started reading a bit. There's a lot of lines in there that blast off the page and cut through everything. Really nice work. Will be reading more tonight.

All I need now is a clam shell case for the book.
And a presentation copy.

Received mine yesterday. Does the USPS transport Media Mail in spinning cement mixers? The battered and bruised book seem to suggest they do.

But it is in one piece, and it is a fine chunk of work. I only had a chance to read a few pages last night, but listened to the CD on the way to work today. Now the mysterious men have voices that I can associate with my tenuous and blurry mental images of them.

Fine bookmanship, fine words - it's a sparkly production all the way through. You two must feel like rock stars. Or proud fathers or something.

Everyone--thanks much for the kind words. Have I said we're really proud of the book? If I haven't, well we are.

The USPS, on the other hand...we're not so proud of. Chalk it up as yet another lesson learned the hard way...We're aware of some minor shipping problems--& by minor we mean MAJOR. Ugh.

However, we are currently schemeing on exactly how to make it right. For those currently reading--you might strive to finish...as our plan MAY involve rebinding the books (at no cost to you, of course). We will contact everyone soon...

For now, enjoy the book for what it is... & we'll make it right soon!

Well, mine for one, was slipped inside a bubble mailer/padded envelope, and nothing more.
Unfortunately, the double-sided typed poem wasn't placed inside the book.
Upon opening up t he package, I noticed the top right hand corner badly crushed/folded.
The book itself is in surprisingly good condition, considering the way it was thrown around.
The two top corners are bumped with some slight tears.

Other than that, the words are as strong as ever.

i can highly recommend uline stay-flat mailers. we use these for chance press books, but i've also used them for hardcovers, etc. the books fit in them snugly, so you don't need a ton of packaging.

What is the condition of the book? Was it in a box or in a padded envelope?

Well, mine for one, was slipped inside a bubble mailer/padded envelope, and nothing more.
Unfortunately, the double-sided typed poem wasn't placed inside the book.
Upon opening up t he package, I noticed the top right hand corner badly crushed/folded.
The book itself is in surprisingly good condition, considering the way it was thrown around.
The two top corners are bumped with some slight tears.

Other than that, the words are as strong as ever.

Ditto. Top and bottom book corners badly bumped, opening edge of the front dented (slight tears to cover) and broadside (sitting outside the book) corner and edge bent. Just seems a shame after all the hard work to just throw them in a bubble wrap envelope.

Will get to reading in a while. At least the words haven't fell out.

we've been saddened by the unfortunate misunderstanding in re: the shipping of these bad ass works of art.

we're going to be sending around an email in the next couple days to all purchasers of hardback books in which we will make this thing right as rain. I'm sickened by the broadsides not being in the book proper...madness. but there is too much work here to be left in this state of affairs, and By Jebus, we ain't having it! ;)

so look for that soon, and in the meantime, please, enjoy the delicious scent of these books...mine smells like strawberries and angst.

The poems on the broadside that I got, are:

"the simple blossoming of gentle moments" by Cunningham
&
"this world & the way it is right now..." by Hosho

btw, I think the 'alarm clock sitting on top of the stack of books' and the Miles Davis painting would have to be my favorite out of those watercolors, but all of them, really, are quite spectacular. ..very jealous.

and the miles is in my book (you might gather that I'm something of a Miles Davis freak). it's my favorite as well.

and if anyone wants to send me the bottle of chateau ducru that I painted (1982, but any year will do), please, feel free...;)

thanks for the kind words...

Hello.

I got a "Monk" and "Car Trouble" (was it random or did news of the heartache I'm going through with my car get across the pond...?)

Beautiful, beautiful pieces guys.

An artist/designer/writer/glamour model can only hope to collaborate with the craftsmen involved in this, once in a very blue moon...very humbled.

Sean.

(i attached pics - hope it works - no camera here so had to use the IntermaWebcamera...)

Photo 34.jpg Photo 36.jpg

mr lynch, we bow to your layout skillz, sir. the internals are as stunning as the rest, espec. the SMALL CAPS for all of our typewriter-born, italics-lacking SHOUTING and the section break artwork...

it takes a village to raise a fine work of art sometimes...

Looking for a way to make it in a cold world, by Christopher
he tightens his grip.

THE LIGHT OF DAY
POURING IN THE WINDOWS
LIKE CEMENT..., by Hosho
clerestories, a beautiful new word for me

a double bow.

mine came today- loosely packed in a bubble mailer, but fine condition overall. looks like the usps took it easy on mine... the corners have only the very slightest hint of wear from the book sliding around in the envelope, but not enough to bother me (and justine will tell you that it doesn't take much to bother me).

and I heard from LC Berriozabal and he said his arrived in fine condition as well, so that's another plus.

and if anyone is interested in knowing more about the freaks who concocted the soundscape behind the readings on the SUNLIGHT cd, you can click H E R E to read an interview with mathis "bimbi garraux" hunter of Noot d'Noot.

mine was in excellent shape. no dings.

poems: carved in blood and ink by Mr. C.

ART & TRUTH/ AS ESSENTIAL/ TO THE HUMAN/ ANIMAL... by Hosh.

My BS is

a kinship with madness by c cunningham
&
A COLD WINTER DAY WITH TYPICAL SKIES... by H McCreesh

...I'd love to know who got what poems...
Hosho's is either untitled or titled, The smoke still turns the sun blood-red at dusk, blood-red, the smoke, turns dusk and sun. Which wouldn't be an unusual title for him, if you are familiar with his work.

Cunningham's is the uselessness of every damn thing

And I won't denigrate them by labeling them "BS" the way hank solo did. I'm shocked that he would insult you that way!

A little info on how we wrote the poems (or the BS, depending on your view!): I went through all the letter excerpts by Chris, & picked out lines I thought would make good titles; he went through my excerpts & did the same. We then picked our titles from each other's respective lists--such that we were writing poems based on lines we originally wrote. The titles appear underlined in the text, again thanks to our good friend Sean Lynch & his fantastic typography in the guts.

Obviously I meant Broad [STRIKE]Shits[/STRIKE],

no [STRIKE]Bull[/STRIKE] Side...

wait... erm... oh well I know what I meant :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back